The Maze Of Stuff

Started by Pyrite, November 20, 2012, 12:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyrite

Ok so :viridian: are like "Where am I?" and :viridian: are in a maze and :viridian: falls through the floor sometimes but :viridian: says "whatever Im superman I can do whatever because I never die for real, I only die in fake and respawn again" and :viridian: teleports back the the start and says "whoa howd i get back hear" and then :viridian: finds all trinket and a massage pops up and says you win and SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!! :viridian: finds :vitellary: and they escape happy ever after.

also a to avengah for helping me unbreak this level.

pocks
(be aware that this picture is not related to the level)
(be aware that this one is)

avengah

Three things. One, you miscounted - only 8 trinkets are available, not 9. Two, you can get between the walls sometimes at the edges of the screen. It's especially easy to end up running along the underside of the floor of the screen. Other than that, it's quite good so far. Finally, when I did that and ended up in outer space, why did I get a random message about trinkets? You should delete script boxes that aren't needed. The scripts will still be there and can be called from other scripts. If you need to actually delete a script completely, press backspace from the script menu.

Pyrite

Well Ok, I know about the maze wall thing, but I didn't think it would be that hard to get lost outside because there are only about 2-3 rooms without stuff in them. Also, you can't get the last 5 trinkets because after I left home I realized that I forgot to put [flag(2,on)] so you can get them. Aren't there 14 trinkets? By that reasoning, shouldn't there be 9 trinkets outside the warehouse and 5 inside? But anyway, thanks for that avengah, I have some topic post to edit.

avengah

Pyrite

No, there are fou-oh.
I found out that you were right as I checked to make screenshot.
Also this level makes a cool visual effect.

avengah

What, when you get stuck in the walls? Yeah, it does, but it's still annoying because you go so slowly when you're trying to move sideways to get yourself unstuck.

Pyrite

I'll fix that if I get more feedback telling me "HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR i hate being stuck in walls thats an exploit i'm reporting you for vulgar language"(exaggeration).

Flushex

I finished it with all 14 trinkets, although I got stuck when I got nine trinkets when it said "go back to start", but I saved and exited and reloaded to get back to the beginning.

Also, it may be annoying if people complain about every little wall glitch, but one of them allows you to get into Vitellary's room immediately without getting any trinkets.

It was fun though. Nice not to have to worry about constantly dying for a change.

avengah

say(1,gray) doesn't work. If you want a grey text box, this is how you have to do it.

Let's say you want this:

Yellow text: Hi, it's me, Vitellary. Here's the keycard.
Grey text: Got the Keycard!
Yellow text: I hope it's helpful. Go and find the treasure!

You need to have this:

script1:

say(1,3)
Hi, it's me, Vitellary. Here's the keycard.
iftrinkets(0,script2)

script2:
say
Got the Keycard!
say(1,3)
I hope it's helpful. Go and find the treasure!

(You can replace 3 with yellow or vitellary if you want.)

Grey text is simply a "default" setting, and so if you choose any colour other than 1-6 (for the six crew members), it'll ignore it and use the one used previously. Unless you call a new script which will set the default to grey again. I hope that helps!

Major glitch: Never have a script with text set to run when you collect a trinket or a crew member. It causes the game to freeze. Have the script near, but not on the trinket - give the trinket text box a chance to appear and be dismissed first.

I worked around the glitch by creeping up to the ninth trinket (it was at the top of a vertical tunnel). I made sure I was inside the script box before picking it up, so the script didn't activate. The above poster mentions being able to work around it by saving and reloading the game. In any case, this'll hopefully be fixed soon. So yeah, also Vitellary gave me the keycard again even after I'd got all 14 trinkets, and it's hard to get out of Vitellary's room - sometimes you bounce off the inversion plane below just as it disappears.

Pyrite

Quote from: Flushex on November 20, 2012, 08:53:33 PM
I finished it with all 14 trinkets, although I got stuck when I got nine trinkets when it said "go back to start", but I saved and exited and reloaded to get back to the beginning.
How did you get stuck? Also that was cheating, doing the restart thing :violet:

Flushex

Avengah explained it:
Quote from: avengah on November 20, 2012, 09:12:03 PM

Major glitch: Never have a script with text set to run when you collect a trinket or a crew member. It causes the game to freeze. Have the script near, but not on the trinket - give the trinket text box a chance to appear and be dismissed first.

That's how I got stuck, so literally the only option was to exit the game and reload.

SomniRespiratory Flux

I second Flushex's statement. I got nine trinkets, then the script saying to return to the entrance froze my game. I tried the suicide button, but it only put me back at the start with the game still frozen (and :viridian: upside-down). I tried his "save and reload" method as well. No dice. :victoria: I assume that it probably didn't work because I had tried the suicide button first. I'll try the level again and see if that's the case. Overall though, I liked the level. It's nice to have a level every once in a while where the challenge is finding your way around rather than precision platforming.

EDIT: Turns out that closing VVVVVV actually fixed it. Still nine trinkets, but no longer upside-down. Odd. Also, random scripts appear places. Wandering around, I got a message saying I had all possible trinkets at this point and to return to the start. Problem is, I had already gotten the keycard from :vitellary: and was on my way to get the trinkets from the "vault". Also, every script involving saving :vitellary: repeats, from the trinkets glowing and removing the gravline to the entire conversation, including getting the keycard. It doesn't really affect the level much in the end though. Just a fun, quick level for its own sake.

Pyrite

Thank you for the feedback, I was unaware that collecting a trinket and a script activating would freeze the thingy. You know, I never knew about the thing with say(gray). Someone mentioned that it worked in a thread. This is just a level for funsies!

Flushex

It was definitely fun! Part of our job here is to play through levels and give feedback. It's already a cool and unique map, and if you polish it up it will be even better.

FIQ

It was interesting, but it wasn't that fun getting stuck in walls all the time..