Previous topic - Next topic

Rapidgame

Quote from: Dav999 on December 23, 2012, 09:22:56 PM
Quote from: FIQ on December 23, 2012, 09:16:37 PM
To be more exact with what I said earlier:

108,109: Teleporter Divot
110,104: Seeing Red
111,104: Building Apport

And nope, the Outer Space rooms doesn't warp, as I and Rapidgame said earlier :p

So what does it do instead of warping? I can't imagine an infinite amount of outer space rooms.

Well well, little Dav999...  :D
Now.
I don't know how to say this, but Outer Space DOES wrap.
The second time I glitched, I have falled upside like 4, 9 or whatever rooms.
Then I tried to go down. But the game doesn't let me go down. That room wraps.
There are some rooms that wraps, and some that doesn't do it.

Note: FIQ, when I read what you have writed, you made me thing:
Murdering Twinmaker
:viridian: :verdigris:

Rapidgame

Em, the Outer Space area wraps, like (i think) after 3, 4 to... I have to explore.

FIQ

That's strange, my own investigations of the internals show the opposite -- that Outer Space doesn't wrap at all.

Dav999: Outer Space is simply a default room to show if nothing else exists for that exact map room coordinates. This way, it's fully possible to have "infinite" Outer Space rooms -- at least, until X and Y wrap (which they do after 4294967295, i.e. it's a 32-bit int, like most (everything?) else number related in VVVVVV)

Rapidgame

Quote from: FIQ on December 23, 2012, 09:53:58 PM
That's strange, my own investigations of the internals show the opposite -- that Outer Space doesn't wrap at all.

Dav999: Outer Space is simply a default room to show if nothing else exists for that exact map room coordinates. This way, it's fully possible to have "infinite" Outer Space rooms -- at least, until X and Y wrap (which they do after 4294967295, i.e. it's a 32-bit int, like most (everything?) else number related in VVVVVV)

Interesting.
I thinked that "the rooms start to wrap after 'x+x-((x*x)/x)' rooms".

Note: X + X - ((X * X) / X) = X

Dav999

Somebody should leave the game running with an accelerator (or something like that, so the game runs faster than normal :P) and keep waiting until it overflows, and look what happens. Also, is there some way to get variables from the game while it's running? (to get the coordinates of the current room so you can see if it really doesn't warp)

Rapidgame

Quote from: Dav999 on December 23, 2012, 11:29:45 PM
Somebody should leave the game running with an accelerator (or something like that, so the game runs faster than normal :P) and keep waiting until it overflows, and look what happens. Also, is there some way to get variables from the game while it's running? (to get the coordinates of the current room so you can see if it really doesn't warp)

Ha! Accelerator. CE have implemented something cool: Speedhack. :P

And what do you mean with overflow?

I can get variables while it's running with values. Values are practically variables. I can search variables if I search values.

I've tried to get the room coordinates to "warp" to another room, but that is impossible. I can get the coordinates of the current room (if I haven't erased the finded thing), but to modify it, nope.
Wait, you mean that? Or what do you mean with "to get the coordinates of the current room so you can see if it really doesn't warp"?

FIQ

scanmem which I used worked something like this:

Take something you know of, for example the Y coordinate for a room, say 2. Then go down 2 rooms and put 4. Then go down 2 rooms more, put 6. Repeat in different ways until only 1 value has changed like you specified. Voila, you can now change Y axis for the room at will.

I'll look into cheat engine and see if the windows build of VVVVVV lets me modify variables properly (the linux version didn't). Having something that actually works letting me do this would be awesome, then maybe, just maybe, I can find features hidden in the level editor, like tower tileset and copy tiles functionality (both of which I found looking in the binary).

EDIT: Distractionware is doing something funny with my session, not letting me post and give me bogus lonig time...

Dav999

Quote from: Rapidgame on December 23, 2012, 11:36:06 PM
And what do you mean with overflow?

That a value becomes too high and it rolls over to a negative number or zero.

Quote from: Rapidgame on December 23, 2012, 11:36:06 PM
Wait, you mean that? Or what do you mean with "to get the coordinates of the current room so you can see if it really doesn't warp"?

Go to a room which warps, and check if the y-coordinate changes if you warp. Then go to outer space and check if the y-coordinate changes.

Rapidgame

Oh that...
Well, I could check if the Y-coord. changes on Outer space (but my brain will make myself search the X-coord.)...
But how I can see on what XY I'm now if I cannot see the coords. number?

blue626

Quote from: blue626 on December 22, 2012, 10:49:56 PM
So, the Outer Space rooms warp vertically and not horizontally? Strange... and interesting...

I made a mistake here. I probably meant "warp up, but not down nor horizontally".

Quote from: FIQ on December 23, 2012, 09:53:58 PM

So, are you saying that the Polar Dimension is 232x232 size, with all the rooms being empty with roomname "Outer Space" except the ones that are part of the Intermissions and Final Level?
I suppose that, with a default option like that, you don't need a large amount of space (in bytes) to create a dimension as large as that... otherwise you're wrong.
We already discussed about this in the Int. Commands thread. In there I said that there wouldn't be a chance that it doesn't warp and the # of rooms in height/width would be as huge as 232 (I said 264 there, but it's the same iwth 232), as you would need a lot of space... unless there was a way that you woudn't need 1 bit per room. You didn't reply to that and I thought that Dav999's suggestion was more likely to be true. I suppose you're right...

Quote from: Rapidgame on December 23, 2012, 09:31:52 PM
Quote from: Dav999 on December 23, 2012, 09:22:56 PM
(off-topic text)
And nope, the Outer Space rooms doesn't warp, as I and Rapidgame said earlier :p

So what does it do instead of warping? I can't imagine an infinite amount of outer space rooms.

Well well, little Dav999...  :D
Now.
I don't know how to say this, but Outer Space DOES wrap.
The second time I glitched, I have falled upside like 4, 9 or whatever rooms.
Then I tried to go down. But the game doesn't let me go down. That room wraps.
There are some rooms that wraps, and some that doesn't do it.

Very weird...

Btw, I saw your 2nd file. I suppose that, after you went to Whee Sports agin and accidentaly changed :viridian:'s color, you went up, right and force flipped, ending in VVVVVV?

Quote from: FIQ on December 23, 2012, 02:22:01 PM
The rooms from The Tower are also accessible in the polar dimension (except for The Tower itself). The other parts of Dimension VVVVVV aren't available in the polar dimension.
To be more exact with what I said earlier:

108,109: Teleporter Divot
110,104: Seeing Red
111,104: Building Apport

What?! How?! Why?! What if you reach those rooms after VVVVVV? I think it's possible.

EDIT: Off-topic:

Quote from: FIQ on December 23, 2012, 05:24:41 PM
EDIT: Distractionware is doing something funny with my session, not letting me post and give me bogus lonig time...

It happened the same to me some time ago. I suppose you mean that it said that the login time ran out and to click to try to submit your post again, and after the click, it posted your post?

Dav999

Who will solve The Mystery of Outer Space? ;)

blue626

I agree with FIQ about Outer Space not wrapping and the Polar Dim. being 232x232. Strangely enough, Rapidgame says that there are some rooms that wrap, but the dim. could still be as large as I said before.
The fact that the non-tower rooms in the Tower level are also on Outer Space is also strange. I'm thinking about checking that with finalmode(x,y) (on the editor as int. scr.).

Probably Terry knows everything... besides glitches, if any of the two facts is one.

Dav999

Someone should leave VVVVVV running with speedhack or something like that, and look what happens. The game would have to run REALLY fast though, at normal speed, it would take... Around 90 years or so? (And I had a file recovery program once which said that the remaining time to recover one folder was something like 1,440,000 hours! That's around 165 years! :o)

FIQ

Quote from: Dav999 on December 26, 2012, 11:07:13 AM
Someone should leave VVVVVV running with speedhack or something like that, and look what happens. The game would have to run REALLY fast though, at normal speed, it would take... Around 90 years or so? (And I had a file recovery program once which said that the remaining time to recover one folder was something like 1,440,000 hours! That's around 165 years! :o)
There's a much easier way to check if outer space wraps.. It involves using finalmode() in custom levels, a very long delay and setcheckpoint() and see where you ended up by looking at the created tsave.

blue626

The game would have to run REALLY fast though, at normal speed, it would take... Around 90 years or so?
I just checked the time with a converter. 232 seconds is ≈136 years.

Quote from: FIQ on December 26, 2012, 11:22:35 AM
There's a much easier way to check if outer space wraps.. It involves using finalmode() in custom levels, a very long delay and setcheckpoint() and see where you ended up by looking at the created tsave.

Very long? Couldn't you just use delay(30) so that you would go one room up if Outer Space doesn't warp.
Also, you could just check if the Tower rooms are really there, by using finalmode(x,y) and comparing 46,54 (1st room of the Final Level) with the room V's coordinates (you would flip from V) and with those.
Also, like Rapidgame said earlier, some rooms we rap and some not. He seemed to say that, on his 1st attempt he fell various rooms upwards, but after force-flippimg reached VVVVVV, which was the room below. I'm going to read his post again...
EDIT: Yes, I was right. Also in other post, he said that other room had vertical wrapping too, so that he couldn't go down. Like I said before, that is strange.