I CAN'T DO IT (Helpful tips)

Started by JPlus, January 08, 2013, 10:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPlus

Ladies and Gentlemen, do you understand. Hours, literally hours of time, but the constant repeating and repeating, death after death, is there anything to gain from this? No. Is there anything to feel from this? No.

But seriously. I CAN'T PLAY THIS GAME. I can't even get past Hexagon. WHY. WHY. 50 SECONDS. I WAS ALMOST THERE. Help me.

tl;dr: Tips, if any.

allison

Watch some videos and see how the masochists play.

ToasterApocalypse

if you turn into a square, you're doomed

Dav999

Keep trying! You'll get there! :viridian:

Where have I read that before? Oh, I know, all of my failed no death mode attempts in VVVVVV! :verdigris:

Anyway, just keep practising and you'll eventually beat Hyper Hexagonest!

JPlus

allison

Think of it like Perception in BIT.TRIP FLUX: don't think, just act.

Dav999

Quote from: crazyal02 on January 17, 2013, 01:41:42 PM

I notice that I'm better at the game when I'm thinking about something else while playing.

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: crazyal02 on January 17, 2013, 01:41:42 PM

I'm better when I think about nothing.

I focus on the triangle with nothing on my mind

insant 60 seconds on hyper hexagonest

Chillius

how do you do that. my record is like 20 seconds...
but that's of course. i just bought the game. (Yes hyper hexagonest) :-X

EDIT:46 Seconds
this is getting better (\^.^/)

allison

If you're having trouble on a level, play an EVEN HARDER level for a bit, which'll make the other level seem easier in comparison. The only level where you can't ever do this is Hyper Hexagonest, and I suppose you could always try that Open Hexagon thing and play Apeirogon at the hardest difficulty...

Chillius

Dav999

Sometimes I'm only good at it the first run, and mess up the runs after that. It's as if my brain thinks 'Oh, I just saw that nothing goes wrong if you die, you can try it as many times as you like, so there's no need to play well now...'
So, maybe it helps to take a break if you notice you have been trying it a lot of times in a row and failing each time.

MegaBrutal

Quote from: crazyal02 on January 22, 2013, 01:55:04 PM
If you're having trouble on a level, play an EVEN HARDER level for a bit, which'll make the other level seem easier in comparison.

+1

I don't know the neurological processes behind this, but my theory is that your brain tries to adjust your perception of time to the game. When I see a video of Hexagonest, it seems quicker than it seems when I actually play it. When you play on a harder level, your brain adjusts your perception of time to that level; and then when you switch back to the slower level, you'll do better, because your brain works quicker since it's still being conditioned to the faster level. This is only my layman's theory, so probably it's just bullshit.

allison

Quote from: MegaBrutal on March 10, 2013, 02:46:51 AM
Quote from: crazyal02 on January 22, 2013, 01:55:04 PM
If you're having trouble on a level, play an EVEN HARDER level for a bit, which'll make the other level seem easier in comparison.

+1

I don't know the neurological processes behind this, but my theory is that your brain tries to adjust your perception of time to the game. When I see a video of Hexagonest, it seems quicker than it seems when I actually play it. When you play on a harder level, your brain adjusts your perception of time to that level; and then when you switch back to the slower level, you'll do better, because your brain works quicker since it's still being conditioned to the faster level. This is only my layman's theory, so probably it's just bullshit.

There have been studies that prove that the brain "slows down time" during a crisis, to give you more time to react. I suppose some of the waves in this game *would* count as a crisis

Chillius

Quote from: ToasterApocalypse on January 16, 2013, 04:39:33 PM
if you turn into a square, you're doomed

LIES!

i am awesome at square

well  :'( on hyper hexagonest!