Ideas for VVVVVV sequel

Started by JPlus, January 08, 2013, 11:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPlus

A while back I posted a thread suggesting sequel names if there was a sequel. Now I ask- what ideas would you have? For example, zones that let you flip gravity without touching the ground.

TwiGav

...Do you really want me to rant on this...?

*cough*

-Play as all six crew members
-Have a gun with which you can defeat enemies
-By extension, have bosses
-Be MUCH longer
-Have a deeper and more solid plot
-Have a mechanic where you can "piece" rooms back together if they're "broken" (part of more storyline)
-Have more health
-Harder levels with more than one Veni Vidi Vici tunnel
-40-60 trinkets

Hilbert

Quote from: TwiGav on January 08, 2013, 11:20:01 PM
-Play as all six crew members
Yes!
And I've got their powers: :viridian: flips :victoria: gravity is sideways: stands on sides of walls and side flips :vermillion: can rotate rooms :vitellary: can activate certain mechanics like switches :verdigris: stops moving platforms and respawns disappearing platforms :violet: wall jumps.

allison

I thought  :verdigris: jumped?

Anyways: The one-way walls you can get in Direct Mode being used in the main game.

JPlus

How about gravity-affected objects?

blue626

When Roskillla posted while I was editing, I assumed I would be posting a new post and deleted the part of the original post. It still edited and I have to write this post again! >:( Please wait... Done!

I would like to remind that Terry already said that he wouldn't make a sequel. Still, I'll think about how it works...

-Have more health

I suppose you mean, after hitting a spike/enemy, have 2 seconds of invincibility (and Viridian's body flashing) and after hitting 3 times, return to the active checkpoint? :-\

(reply to Roskilla's post. He quoted it below).

Hilbert

Quote from: blue626 on January 10, 2013, 09:13:07 PM
Quote from: RoskillaHULK!! on January 09, 2013, 02:17:02 AM
And I've got their powers: :viridian: flips :victoria: gravity is sideways: stands on sides of walls and side flips :vermillion: can rotate rooms :vitellary: can activate certain mechanics like switches :verdigris: stops moving platforms and respawns disappearing platforms :violet:wall jumps.

Aren't :victoria:'s and :vermillion:'s powers pratically the same (except that the room rotates if it's :vermillion: and doesn't if it's :victoria:)?
No, Victoria is on the sides of rooms, and Vermillion is still vertical.

blue626

I was editing my post when Roskillla replied...
TwiGav: Anyway, I like the idea of playing as all crew members. +1 :shiny: I suppose you mean switching between crewmates and only showing one at once? It's similar to what was suggested to Roskilla for his unofficial sequel (that was never made)?
However, if the crewmemberses are lost during the story of the sequel, it would make sense if you gain powers as you rescue crewmemebers. That way, it would become sort of similar to a RPG...
Also, Roskilla, in your post you forgot a space after :violet: (not to mention several ","s).

-Have a gun with which you can defeat enemies

And, with that, undefeatable enemies.

Quote from: crazyal02 on January 09, 2013, 03:18:33 PM
I thought  :verdigris: jumped?

Anyways: The one-way walls you can get in Direct Mode being used in the main game.

Agreed with both of your ideas. +2 :shiny:

-By extension, have bosses
-Be MUCH longer
-Have a deeper and more solid plot
-40-60 trinkets

Agreed with all 4 ideas. +4 :shiny:

Quote from: RoskillaHULK!! on January 10, 2013, 10:29:57 PM
Quote from: blue626 on January 10, 2013, 09:13:07 PM
Quote from: RoskillaHULK!! on January 09, 2013, 02:17:02 AM
And I've got their powers: :viridian: flips :victoria: gravity is sideways: stands on sides of walls and side flips :vermillion: can rotate rooms :vitellary: can activate certain mechanics like switches :verdigris: stops moving platforms and respawns disappearing platforms :violet:wall jumps.

Aren't :victoria:'s and :vermillion:'s powers pratically the same (except that the room rotates if it's :vermillion: and doesn't if it's :victoria:)?
No, Victoria is on the sides of rooms, and Vermillion is still vertical.

That's the difference I tried to tell you inside the "()"s.  For me, it's practically the same mechanic and the only difference is that :vermillion: stays with gravity down and rotates the room while :victoria: rotates herself and doesn't rotate the room. That difference only makes it slightly harder for you when you're :vermillion: (relatively to while you're :victoria:). Is that enough of a difference? I don't think so. Think about it.
Also, that makes both more powerful than :viridian:, making him/her useless. Perhaps giving :viridian: health (As explained in my previous post) and not giving health to any of the others (after hitting a spike/enemy, they respawn in the active CP, like :viridian: in VVVVVV) would be a good idea.
Also, only enable changing crew members when touching ground.

allison

Mobius strip wrapping.

Try and wrap your mind around THAT  :vermillion:

Hilbert

I think that everyone exept  :viridian:  should have health, but in a different way. they have 15 health. when they hit a spike, they return to the checkpoint, and lose a health. when all of them are gone, you have to go to the ship, or these special recovery spots.

A quite MEDICal Derpfish

There could be a "Training Area" where you can practice skills and/or crewmate abilities.

And you could be able to teleport to checkpoints you've reached, but not vice-versa.

:P

allison

Stuff happening in Viridian's home dimension because of the secret lab stuff.

blue626

Quote from: RoskillaHULK!! on January 12, 2013, 04:32:41 PM
I think that everyone exept  :viridian:  should have health, but in a different way. they have 15 health. when they hit a spike, they return to the checkpoint, and lose a health. when all of them are gone, you have to go to the ship, or these special recovery spots.

How about returning to the last teleporter when they lose all healths? Or was that your idea?
Yes, recovery spots are a good idea. Returning to the ship should restore all health.
How about minor collectibles that restore health? Remember the coins from the VVVVVV prototype (if you played it)? 10 coins would restore 1 health.
Also, 15 isn't enough health. I consider that a VVVVVV player level in which you die 15 times per room has medium difficulty. 100 health? Varies per crew member?

Quote from: Derpfish on January 17, 2013, 11:26:25 PM
And you could be able to teleport to checkpoints you've reached, but not vice-versa.

:P

I think it's a good idea to complete the whole level at once, so I disagree. -1 :shiny:

Quote from: crazyal02 on January 11, 2013, 11:45:25 PM
Mobius strip wrapping.

Try and wrap your mind around THAT  :vermillion:

I've seen this suggestion before, as well as the one in the OP.

Here's the thread!
Note: Replies 30-60 (pages 3 and 4 if you have the default # of replies per page) are mostly useless replies.

Dav999

Quote from: blue626 on January 18, 2013, 07:26:38 PM
Quote from: RoskillaHULK!! on January 12, 2013, 04:32:41 PM

How about returning to the last teleporter when they lose all healths? Or was that your idea?
Yes, recovery spots are a good idea. Returning to the ship should restore all health.
How about minor collectibles that restore health? Remember the coins from the VVVVVV prototype (if you played it)? 10 coins would restore 1 health.
Also, 15 isn't enough health. I consider that a VVVVVV player level in which you die 15 times per room has medium difficulty. 100 health? Varies per crew member?

Or RPG-style, so all crew members start with a certain amount of HP which is not so high, but which is enough for the first couple of levels. They level up so they get more HP over time, which is also needed as the levels get harder. And items, and enemy fights, boss fights...

Chillius

i think that we should have a room size of 80-80 in the level editor

did i really just

oh and the name would be VVVVVVVVVVVV