I WANT DIFFERENT MUSIC

Started by Fussmatte, March 15, 2013, 12:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fussmatte

I've been looking for a way to get different music into VVVVVV. Can't find anything. There's something in the vvvvvvmusic.vvv file that says something about data/music/ and I made that directory and put some music in there (1pushingonwards.ogg) but that did not work. WE MUST FIND A WAY! I really want CCCCCCCCCC music :'(

EDIT: I just found out that this makes me seem like I hate Souleye's music

A quite MEDICal Derpfish

Whirligig

The music is coded into the file and encrypted, mostly (I'm guessing) so nobody can rip the music out of the game and thus pirate PPPPPP. I've had some luck swapping the names in a hex editor to e.g. get the level completion music to play in The Tower, but to add custom music, you'd need to be able to encrypt music files into the vvv format, which would require reverse engineering and probably violate at least the EULA if not some sort of copyright law.

Fussmatte

There are scripts that can extract the music from vvvvvvmusic, so why not the other way around? :c

FIQ

Scripts to decrypt the encrypting used in the .vvv file is all over internet, though I *think* using it is illegal. However, you should, as doormat say, be able to do the opposite just fine if you make sure to hae them the same name.

Whirligig

I should have guessed it's been done already. The reverse process *might* be easier, but it depends on the algorithms used. For example, if each file is encrypted using a one-byte key equal to the length of the song in milliseconds (mod 256), you can decrypt the file easily by just brute-force guessing every possible byte, but unless you find the pattern, encrypting is much harder (you'd have to test 256 separate .vvv files).