VVVVVV on old consoles

Started by Fussmatte, April 03, 2013, 10:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fussmatte

Imagine, VVVVVV on the NES.
Sure, VVVVVV was inspired by the C64, but the NES is more powerful for something like VVVVVV (IMO).

This is how it would look like on the NES:

(from left to right: PC version, Simulated NES version at normal PC version size, Simulated NES version at NES true resolution)
Sure, the backing is brighter than it should be, but couldn't that be remedied by dithering?
Yes, the NES resolution is 64 pixels / 8 tiles less wide than VVVVVV's normal resolution, but you can always optimize for the smaller resolution...
Anyways, if you could choose any old system (handhelds included), which one would you like to see VVVVVV on?

(BTW, the VVVVVV on Game Boy thing I posted earlier was a joke. I love tricking people)

N

N64

Possibly the Gameboy Color

Also, I knew that the VVVVVV on Gameboy was a joke

Fussmatte

Game Boy Color? Hmm...

That could be good! The screen would scroll as you move...

Fun fact: I have Ponify set to replace any instances of "color" with "colour". :D

FIQ

Scrolling wouldn't really work for a good experience I believe.

VVVVVV on GBA would be cool. There shouldn't be any problem with the music, but the resolution is a little limited. If you decide to use 6x6 pixels for the tiles instead of 8x8, you can fit it perfectly in width but you'll have to reduce amount of height -- thus, optimization of the game orld must be done in advance for all places but The Tower.

Fussmatte

You know what? We need VVVVVV MIDIs.

N