Strange Dreams

Started by aLaserShark, April 23, 2013, 07:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aLaserShark

Strange Dreams
A series of VVVVVV levels by aLaserShark

S01 - E01
In which viridian has a very strange dream.

More pictures:Click.
Info:

• Size: 5x5
  • Rooms: 25
  • Difficulty: Easy to Medium
  • Difficulty curve: 15o
  • Missing crewmembers: :vermillion:
Changelog:

• 1.0: Initial Release. Complete.
  • 1.1: Fixed all the problems pointed out by nicholashin (extra wall tiles, etc).
Download:
Click.

S01 - E02
In which Viridan awakens to find his crewmates stowed away in corners of an oddly assorted dimension.
No images yet. Beta download below. 1 area out
Info:

• Size: 20x20
  • Rooms: Unknown (I might not use all 400)
  • Difficulty: Medium-High
  • Difficulty curve: 45o
  • Missing crewmembers: We don't use crewmembers as currency, we just have "Area Complete" terminals. There are 16 of these, along with 4 final levels (only done after all the other levels are complete). Then, there's a secret area with a few hints as to the nature of viridian's pocket dimension...
Changelog:

• Beta 1: Initial download. One area is almost complete. (I actually completed it but apparently the \ key crashed the game...and i forgot to save)
  • Beta 2: Completed area 1. Started and completed area 2. Started area 3 (about 15% done).
Download:
BETA 1.

Interesting, and I've saved the crewmate.
Add a music first, you can do that in the main menu of level editor :) 'Esc'
Just something to be aware of, the walls are inconsistent in many rooms on both sides of warping direction.
This includes:
'You're wasting by reading this' -->1 wall tile more at the right side.
'Help I'm looping and can't get out' --> 1 wall tile more at the right side and left side each
'Down Spike Dead' is very inconsistent in walls. Although I understand you want to make both ways possible...
1. Your warp token destination can lead to player getting stuck in walls. Leave a pixel place above and under the destination to avoid this.
2. After you've taken the warp token, go right and flip, you can get stuck in the 2 pixel width walls below.
'Bittersweet Harmony' --> 1 wall tile more at the right side

The design is good, and I find the coding interesting. Just be aware of the wall tiles placement when warping is involved. Never underestimate player's ability to go the wrong way :D

aLaserShark

Quote from: nicholashin on April 25, 2013, 10:54:59 AM
Just something to be aware of, the walls are inconsistent in many rooms on both sides of warping direction.
This includes:
'Help I'm looping and can't get out' --> 1 wall tile more at the right side and left side each
'Down Spike Dead' is very inconsistent in walls. Although I understand you want to make both ways possible...
1. Your warp token destination can lead to player getting stuck in walls. Leave a pixel place above and under the destination to avoid this.
2. After you've taken the warp token, go right and flip, you can get stuck in the 2 pixel width walls below.

The design is good, and I find the coding interesting. Just be aware of the wall tiles placement when warping is involved. Never underestimate player's ability to go the wrong way :D

Fixed in 1.1

Also, beta one of S1 E02 is out. (It is titled "Untitled Level" because I am lazy and forgetful. Sorry.)

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: aLaserShark on April 25, 2013, 01:12:59 PM
This includes:

Fixed in 1.1

Also, beta one of S1 E02 is out. (It is titled "Untitled Level" because I am lazy and forgetful. Sorry.)

Wait, so this is sorta like a multi-part level?
I was gonna do something like that, then got lazy and never finished the first cutscene  :D

aLaserShark

Quote from: ToasterApocalypse on April 25, 2013, 02:43:23 PM
This includes:

Fixed in 1.1

I was gonna do something like that, then got lazy and never finished the first cutscene  :D

More like me putting all my levels into one forum thread because I am lazy, with a loosely connected story.

So yeah, totally a multipart level.

Anyway, what do you think of it?

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: aLaserShark on April 25, 2013, 08:51:08 PM
Quote from: ToasterApocalypse on April 25, 2013, 02:43:23 PM
This includes:

Fixed in 1.1

More like me putting all my levels into one forum thread because I am lazy, with a loosely connected story.

So yeah, totally a multipart level.

Anyway, what do you think of it?

I haven't played it because xd

aLaserShark

Legit bump. We are now on BETA 2 for S01E02 - I've completed area 1, completed area 2, and started on area 3.