Invincibility speedruns

Started by Dav999, May 01, 2013, 02:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dav999

Some people may be against using invincibility mode, but have you ever tried speedrunning VVVVVV with invincibility mode on?

Try to beat my record!

Please note that this may get you a few trophies for winning with less than X deaths, and it's recommended to do this only if you've already completed the game!

Also, Intermission 1 may mess up the run a bit, but it doesn't matter if you have to press R a few times because your companion got stuck, only the time matters :viridian:

FIQ

:)

Did several mistakes though, could probably shrink that by 1 minute without doing any optimizations on the run itself.

Process:

* Press R once you get to Welcome Aboard to get back on the ship
* Save Victoria (skip I'm Sorry by flipping from spikes)
* Save Vitellary (skips here should be obvious)
* Teleport from the ship to A Wrinkle In Time
* Save Violet and immediately press R to skip her dialog (which would make Victoria+Vitellary unrescued). In the process, you'll skip Intermission 1
* Save Vermilion
* Endure the loss of a minute due to a certain unskippable Gravitron (but it's faster than the already skipped int1)
* Save Verdigris
* Press R at the DIY VI Repair terminal to get to the checkpoint immediately
* Flip through the gravity lines before dial M for murder to skip a few seconds
* Finish the level

Dav999

Quote from: FIQ on May 01, 2013, 04:56:50 PM

:)

Did several mistakes though, could probably shrink that by 1 minute without doing any optimizations on the run itself.

Process:

* Press R once you get to Welcome Aboard to get back on the ship
* Save Vitellary (skips here should be obvious)
* Teleport from the ship to A Wrinkle In Time
* Save Violet and immediately press R to skip her dialog (which would make Victoria+Vitellary unrescued). In the process, you'll skip Intermission 1
* Save Vermilion
* Endure the loss of a minute due to a certain unskippable Gravitron (but it's faster than the already skipped int1)
* Save Verdigris
* Press R at the DIY VI Repair terminal to get to the checkpoint immediately
* Flip through the gravity lines before dial M for murder to skip a few seconds
* Finish the level

I actually ran through the game the normal way :o

Now try it without pressing R :vermillion:

FIQ

Pff, that isn't as fun :P

Oh well, challenge accepted.

This time, I did way better in terms of mistakes (and ran a completely flawless intermission 1), and I believe I would at best be able to shave off 10s or so.

Dav999

Quote from: FIQ on May 01, 2013, 05:50:59 PM
Pff, that isn't as fun :P

Oh well, challenge accepted.

This time, I did way better in terms of mistakes (and ran a completely flawless intermission 1), and I believe I would at best be able to shave off 10s or so.

I'd love to see a video :viridian:

FIQ

I've never gotten screen recording working with audio under Linux though..

aLaserShark

Quote from: FIQ on May 01, 2013, 11:28:10 PM

Oh man, there's this one software that I know that works pretty well...Not sure about audio but it's optimized for recording games. You'll need some command line skills though. Clicky here.

Dav999

Also, audio isn't really important, is it? :)

FIQ

Quote from: aLaserShark on May 02, 2013, 12:00:41 PM
Quote from: FIQ on May 01, 2013, 11:28:10 PM

Oh man, there's this one software that I know that works pretty well...Not sure about audio but it's optimized for recording games. You'll need some command line skills though. Clicky here.
Well, I got recording working just fine with ffmpeg, but audio just didn't want to work. Well, it did work, but it recorded from mic instead of computer itself.

@Dav: Well, I guess I could upload a muted video, sec.

EDIT: http://youtu.be/pd49pYA7Ddg

This is a different playthrough (as I didn't record the one I screenshoted), the fact that the Game Time counter is identical is just a coincidence.

blue626

Quote from: FIQ on May 02, 2013, 03:30:15 PM
EDIT: http://youtu.be/pd49pYA7Ddg

This is a different playthrough (as I didn't record the one I screenshoted), the fact that the Game Time counter is identical is just a coincidence.

How about, in "I'm Sorry", flipping repeatedly from the spike that's pointing down? I wonder if that's faster... I thought that's what you meant with this:
Quote from: FIQ on May 01, 2013, 04:56:50 PM
Also, I noticed it showed the total time (as 12:58) when the YouTube timer was at 12:51... ???
As
I'm curious of what's the lowest # of flips necessary to do it that way (without glitches). Well, curious of the normal way too, but... doing it with invincibility is much easier. FIQ did with with 623 flips, so my guess is that it's slightly less than 600...
And the lowest time? Fastest run in Youtube without invincibility (it was in No Death Mode, by the way) is 14:21 (although I didn't see the whole video...).

As for trying a invincibility speed run myself... I could if I had more time. Normal speed runs are more interesting and even so I rarely do those. Not that invincibility speedruns are boring. :)
Also, there was already a thread for this, despite being old: http://distractionware.com/forum/index.php?topic=752.0

FIQ

regarding skipping I'm Sorry - yes, that IS possible but very hard to pull off so I didn't do it.
You can also skip Three's a Crowd by the same bug, which I didn't do either (but I did skip in three's a company in the final level as that one is easier to do).
As I wrote in the video info, the timer issue is due to a bug in VVVVVV. Its' timer shows a higher number than what has actually went. There's actually another topic in the forum describing this.

blue626

(Yes, I know, late reply, even if I read the post in the day or the day after it was posted).

Quote from: FIQ on May 04, 2013, 02:27:57 PM
regarding skipping I'm Sorry - yes, that IS possible but very hard to pull off so I didn't do it.
You can also skip Three's a Crowd by the same bug, which I didn't do either (but I did skip in three's a company in the final level as that one is easier to do).

I think the space between the grav. line and the floor/ceiling is the same on I'm Sorry and Three's Company. I thought it was the same in Three's a Crowd, but I'm not sure...

As I wrote in the video info, the timer issue is due to a bug in VVVVVV. Its' timer shows a higher number than what has actually went. There's actually another topic in the forum describing this.

Where? The only bugs related to time that I know is the one that the Time Trial counter in 2.x. is slower than in 1.x. and real time, so that 5:00 real time ≈ 5:00 in 1.x. ≈ 5:06 in 2.x. Since it was faster than real time, it's not this bug. The another one, which I reported myself, is that the Time Trial counter starts at 0:00 when it's actually 0:01 (counting from the time Viridian started moving). It was 7 seconds fast, so that's not the one either. Where's that bug described?

FIQ

Quote from: blue626 on May 10, 2013, 08:09:02 PM
(Yes, I know, late reply, even if I read the post in the day or the day after it was posted).

I think the space between the grav. line and the floor/ceiling is the same on I'm Sorry and Three's Company. I thought it was the same in Three's a Crowd, but I'm not sure...

Where? The only bugs related to time that I know is the one that the Time Trial counter in 2.x. is slower than in 1.x. and real time, so that 5:00 real time ≈ 5:00 in 1.x. ≈ 5:06 in 2.x. Since it was faster than real time, it's not this bug. The another one, which I reported myself, is that the Time Trial counter starts at 0:00 when it's actually 0:01 (counting from the time Viridian started moving). It was 7 seconds fast, so that's not the one either. Where's that bug described?
That *is* the bug I'm talking about... You're doing something wrong
5:00 real time = 5:05 vvvvvv time, 12:45 real time = 12:58 vvvvvv time.
(keep in mind I didn't begin the run on 0:00 @ video)

blue626

Quote from: FIQ on May 10, 2013, 08:48:02 PM

That *is* the bug I'm talking about... You're doing something wrong
5:00 real time = 5:05 vvvvvv time, 12:45 real time = 12:58 vvvvvv time.
(keep in mind I didn't begin the run on 0:00 @ video)

Actually I think I started thinking wrong, then thought right, and you thought as wrong as I did at the 1st time. Let me explain:
When I said this, I was wrong:

(...) 5:00 real time ≈ 5:00 in 1.x. ≈ 5:06 in 2.x.

I should have said this:
5:00 2.x  ≈ 5:06 real time and 5:00 1.x ≈ 5:00 real time.
This is correct. Yes, I did check the post that reported the bug.

Since it was faster than real time, it's not this bug.

^^^
This is correct (or I think it's correct), in fact, the below is correct too:

(...) the Time Trial counter in 2.x. is slower than in 1.x. and real time (...)

Quote from: blue626 on May 03, 2013, 05:59:27 PM
Also, I noticed it showed the total time (as 12:58) when the YouTube timer was at 12:51... ???

If I remembered correctly when I said that (EDIT: I did), then it's faster than real time. IIRC, it started at 0:03 video time (assuming it starts at the beginning of the 1st cutscene) (EDIT: It's true), so it was actually in 12:48 (EDIT: or 12:42, if it stops as soon as the "Game Complete" text appears), making it even faster than it seems.
Where am I wrong? I'm going to check the video... EDIT (on quick edit): Checked, see other edits above.

Fussmatte

Now that I got audio recording working on my comp, I think I'll do one of these so-called "invincibility speedruns".