The Tower (WIP)

Started by Samario, May 27, 2013, 08:05:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samario

I am presently making a level based on the Tower (you will need a custom tiles.png which I will put up once the map is finished).
Download will come soon.

PICS

(don't know why this is huge compared to the others)

Note: There should be another room here, but I can't upload it at this time.

Dav999

[stupidquestion]Will it also scroll?[/stupidquestion]

allison

Quote from: Dav999 on May 27, 2013, 12:33:38 PM

It could if he figured out the internal scripting gotoroom(x,y) / gotoposition(x,y) tangle required to do so.

EDIT: I'd like to see screenshots! That would be great.

Dav999

Quote from: crazyal02 on May 27, 2013, 03:18:55 PM

It could if he figured out the internal scripting gotoroom(x,y) / gotoposition(x,y) tangle required to do so.

gotoposition(x,y) does not work for this purpose because how are you going to use gotoposition if it can only warp you to a certain fixed position? If you would use moveplayer(x,y) to move the player exactly one screen width to the right for x, and minus one tile up (or whatever you use, but I think one tile may be too fast) for y. After 20 rooms, there's another value for y to go one room lower (one room height - 1 tile or just one room height if you keep them the same for 1/2 tiles up per frame). Hmm.

allison

Quote from: Dav999 on May 27, 2013, 03:26:29 PM

gotoposition(x,y) does not work for this purpose because how are you going to use gotoposition if it can only warp you to a certain fixed position? If you would use moveplayer(x,y) to move the player exactly one screen width to the right for x, and minus one tile up (or whatever you use, but I think one tile may be too fast) for y. After 20 rooms, there's another value for y to go one room lower (one room height - 1 tile or just one room height if you keep them the same for 1/2 tiles up per frame). Hmm.

Which just proves how tangled and confusing getting scrolling to work is

Dav999

Quote from: crazyal02 on May 27, 2013, 04:08:53 PM
Quote from: Dav999 on May 27, 2013, 03:26:29 PM

Which just proves how tangled and confusing getting scrolling to work is

I once started making a scrolling tower, but I think I've abandoned it.

Samario

Unfortunately, my Tower won't scroll. It will ve be ever so slightly EVIL though.
(by evil, I mean TWO checkpoints and a 60-room tower with a 5-room Veni Vidi Vici segment in the middle)

Samario

Unfortunately, they'd have to be in a .zip.

allison

Quote from: Samario on May 28, 2013, 05:46:05 PM
Unfortunately, they'd have to be in a .zip.

Can't you just upload them somewhere (like http://imageshack.us/) and link to them with the [img] tag?

Samario

Done. edit(more) Screenshots added.

Dav999

You know, as for the custom tiles.png, you could replace some of the (mostly) unused tiles such as the unpatterned ones on the left, or even better, the remaining white squares at the bottom. That will make sure people won't notice a real difference when they don't switch the tileset back to the original one, and they don't have to switch every time they want to play the level. :viridian:

SomniRespiratory Flux

... That font. Where did that come from? ???

Dav999

Samario

Quote from: Dav999 on May 29, 2013, 01:35:39 PM
You know, as for the custom tiles.png, you could replace some of the (mostly) unused tiles such as the unpatterned ones on the left, or even better, the remaining white squares at the bottom. That will make sure people won't notice a real difference when they don't switch the tileset back to the original one, and they don't have to switch every time they want to play the level. :viridian:

Problem. Those tiles have no collision. I tried that in tiles2.png (replacing 6-12 tiles of the green Final Level instability tiles (it looks crap, but more unstable at the same time  ???)) and Viridian just fell through them, only landing on the spikes I'd put there. I will put up a screenshot soon, but that's a no go at the moment.

Also, I replaced ONE of the Space Station tilesets. As the Tower tileset seems to be an edited Space Station tileset, it fit right in. Almost unnoticable.

SomniRespiratory Flux