Previous topic - Next topic

Do you want a level editor for the 3DS?

Yes and say why
21 (95.5%)
No and say why
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Chyulix

I am a very avid VVVVVV player, but I am distracted by this one simply absurd observation: "Is there going to be an avaible level editor for the 3DS? I mean, wouldn't it be nice for a feature where you could share and create custom maps with others? Couldn't you just get an SD card and open up the VVVVVV folder and then go to the maps folder and place your or someone else's custom .vvvvvv map into it? Can you use the same VVVVVV editing software that is in the PC version of VVVVVV? I have only played the VVVVVV demo on the PC and the full version on the 3DS, and I don't plan to buy the PC version just for that simple but amazing feature. If only someone could either add in a mapmaker in the 3DS version, or make a standalone level editor, I would be very pleased. I would like the 3DS version to have a community where you can upload maps and download maps by others. I am not demanding anyone to do this, but I would like to see it in the next VVVVVV update. Please don't have a tl;dr moment because I took a lot of time to write this post. What do you think? Should there be a level editor for the 3DS?

~Chyulix
EDIT: Can a moderator move this to the right section?

TheJonyMyster

There should be, but there never will be.
You don't need reasons for a yes, and nobody will say no.
Yes, I read the entire post.

Chyulix

Quote from: TheJonyMyster on June 23, 2013, 04:21:38 PM
There should be, but there never will be.
You don't need reasons for a yes, and nobody will say no.
Yes, I read the entire post.
:victoria: that's sad... But can I use the PC level editor and move the level to the SD card?  :viridian:

TheJonyMyster

I think you would have to hack into the DS version's code or something, because the custom levels there are pre-programmed in, but don't take my word for it because I have no idea how they were put there. Somebody go get Terry.

Chyulix

Quote from: TheJonyMyster on June 23, 2013, 04:27:07 PM
I think you would have to hack into the DS version's code or something, because the custom levels there are pre-programmed in, but don't take my word for it because I have no idea how they were put there. Somebody go get Terry.
Very good point. When I'm not grounded from my laptop anymore, I could try the PC editor out anyways. I still have 10$ on my Steam account and I want to try the PC version. Or I could look at the code on the 3DS version, even though I don't know how to code. I'll give it a try.  :viridian:

TheJonyMyster

Wait! Don't get it on steam. What if steam does that thing where you can't do anything without updating everything? I recommend just getting the game without steam. I'm sure it makes uploading levels easier.

Dav999

I think a level editor would be great, and maybe even the ability to share and import levels with QR-codes.

I even made a picture of how the script editor would look like:

The blocks on the left side are not complete, but if you touch one, you get a menu for the arguments, which would, for a text box, be color, text, position and a few advanced options (checkboxes) whether to remove old textboxes or not (speak_active or speak), whether you need to press action to advance the text or not (if not = backgroundtext), whether there should be a squeaking sound and if the text disappears faster than normal (endtextfast). Conditionals is just flags and trinkets to go to a script, teleporting is to a room or to a position, etc. The script appears on the right side of the screen, as blocks (instead of say(n)/reply(n) and the text below it, there's just the text box like it would look like, the orange ones are not dialogue but events like delays, music/mood changes, conditionals, etc.)

But of course all of this is just saying what it would look like, the most I ever expect to come is being able to import .vvvvvv files to play...

...Terry, will the iOS/Android version have a level editor, or the ability to import levels? :viridian:

allison

Quote from: Dav999 on June 23, 2013, 06:50:02 PM
I think a level editor would be great, and maybe even the ability to share and import levels with QR-codes.

The blocks on the left side are not complete, but if you touch one, you get a menu for the arguments, which would, for a text box, be color, text, position and a few advanced options (checkboxes) whether to remove old textboxes or not (speak_active or speak), whether you need to press action to advance the text or not (if not = backgroundtext), whether there should be a squeaking sound and if the text disappears faster than normal (endtextfast). Conditionals is just flags and trinkets to go to a script, teleporting is to a room or to a position, etc. The script appears on the right side of the screen, as blocks (instead of say(n)/reply(n) and the text below it, there's just the text box like it would look like, the orange ones are not dialogue but events like delays, music/mood changes, conditionals, etc.)

But of course all of this is just saying what it would look like, the most I ever expect to come is being able to import .vvvvvv files to play...

...Terry, will the iOS/Android version have a level editor, or the ability to import levels? :viridian:

That. Is. Awesome.

EDIT: It'd be cool if you could automatically use internal commands with it, and there was a PC version.

blue626

Dav999: Really, I think that the fact that the 3DS having an editor like that while the comp. version doesn't would be weird. I would really like for both versions to have something like that, though. :viridian: That way, people don't have to come here to learn how to script! Even better with the functions like teleport and backgorundtext... as long as they wouldn't depend on a glitch like the one we have currently (I would find that weird). That way it would be like a 2.3... no doubt, a lot of work.
Wait, I've just thought that maybe you thought of it that way because it would be hard to make a virtual keyboard for the script editor. Correct? Hmm... If it weren't hard, all we would need is the current one... and maybe some built-in scripting tutorial (in text).

I don't even know if he or anyone is working on it. His last tweet about it, AFAIK, was months ago. How would importing levels work, anyway? I haven't tried downloading anything from my iPod or iPad...

Chyulix

Quote from: TheJonyMyster on June 23, 2013, 06:00:37 PM
Wait! Don't get it on steam. What if steam does that thing where you can't do anything without updating everything? I recommend just getting the game without steam. I'm sure it makes uploading levels easier.
Can't. Do. Anything. Without. An. UPDATE?!?!?!?!!!! Oh yeah... I remember trying to play TF2 and it didn't even update even though I waited three hours straight... But I have ten dollars on my steam account. I just got about 200$ worth of clothes and 70$ of books so there's NO WAY that I'm asking my mom. What should I do???  :victoria:

Chyulix

Quote from: crazyal02 on June 23, 2013, 11:53:50 PM

That. Is. Awesome.

EDIT: It'd be cool if you could automatically use internal commands with it, and there was a PC version.
+1 support.

TheJonyMyster

Quote from: Chyulix on June 24, 2013, 06:38:27 PM
Quote from: TheJonyMyster on June 23, 2013, 06:00:37 PM
Can't. Do. Anything. Without. An. UPDATE?!?!?!?!!!! Oh yeah... I remember trying to play TF2 and it didn't even update even though I waited three hours straight... But I have ten dollars on my steam account. I just got about 200$ worth of clothes and 70$ of books so there's NO WAY that I'm asking my mom. What should I do???  :victoria:

Only costs five ven bucks without steam.

Chyulix

I just bought it from steam and it was 5$.  ??? what are you talking about?

TheJonyMyster

weee50

I want the level editor, even though I do not have a 3DS. :D But I want those VVVVVVideos to do the 3DS Level Editor.

CONTROLS:
A: Show/Hide the space menu
CIRCLE or DIRECTIONAL PAD: Go to other rooms
B: Show/Hide the shift menu
X and Y: Change tools
Quote from: Chyulix on June 25, 2013, 04:36:26 PM
Quote from: crazyal02 on June 23, 2013, 11:53:50 PM

That. Is. Awesome.

+1 support.
Yea. And also, START opens the Map Settings menu.