Author Topic: VVVVVV Patch, V1.2  (Read 31384 times)

DMNT

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
Re: VVVVVV Patch, V1.2
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2010, 07:07:51 pm »
Again, it works fine in Linux.  If he, in theory, were able to package up this game, a Win32 flash projector, and of course WINE into one single binary, you almost wouldn't know the difference.

...Linux users are in no way left out.  There's nothing substantial to complain about, because you can still play it.

If reasons aren't important to you, then you shouldn't care HOW the game works in Linux, because it does.  Just not natively.

Well, if you're running Linux on anything not x86, like say PPC Linux, then of course WINE won't work. Then again, Adobe doesn't even support Flash for PPC Linux, so I guess that's a moot point.

Luckily, all my PPCs are running Mac OS X, so I'm fine. :viridian:

dinx2582

• Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2010, 07:01:14 pm »

Well, if you're running Linux on anything not x86, like say PPC Linux, then of course WINE won't work. Then again, Adobe doesn't even support Flash for PPC Linux, so I guess that's a moot point.

Luckily, all my PPCs are running Mac OS X, so I'm fine. :viridian:

Yeah, it is kind of moot.  At that point you're no longer talking about mainstream OS support.  It's perfectly reasonable not to expect games to be released for obscure platforms/architectures.  So, I guess to rephrase, it works on any Linux configuration wherein WINE functions to a reasonable degree.

Yirba

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2010, 11:59:43 pm »
Hi.  Thanks for making such a brilliant game; I've really been enjoying it!

I first heard about the game when I played it at an expo back in October.  I thought it was such an amazing concept and I'm glad I'm able to play the final product.  It may seem simple on the surface, but it does get surprisingly complex.

Apart from a couple of niggles (left arrow taking priority over right arrow, mouse pointer showing in full screen mode in Mac version) I'd say it's pretty much perfect from what I've played.

Again, thanks for your dedication in this project and giving us such a wonderful experience!  :viridian:

Shasharala

• Professor
  • Black tea, green tea, red tea, white tea...
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2010, 07:24:07 am »
What do you mean by "left arrow taking priority over right arrow"?

The Brass

• Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2010, 03:18:02 pm »
Press both arrow keys at the same time. Notice the results.

Shasharala

• Professor
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2010, 08:00:44 pm »
Ahh... hmm... don't see how that'd be a problem... just press the direction you want to go, not both!  :P
Makes it more like an arcade in my opinion.  You can't hold one direction so it takes command after the other direction is finished in an arcade so why do it in the game?
Or maybe I'm not really understanding the issue at hand.

Yirba

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2010, 10:47:45 pm »
It's not much of a problem, but it's not desirable either.

Draconis

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2010, 04:34:10 am »
Hey, Terry. I've also noticed this, and been wondering why it's still present on v1.2 even though I would have hoped to have been "fixed" with the patch release:

* Three's company: sometimes you go further through the first rubber band than you expect, causing you to overshoot your jump.

This room certainly gave me some trouble when trying to V-rank the level, and I guess it would prove troublesome for any potential no death runs. I could provide a video of the occurrence if need be.

Have I mentioned how much I love this game?  :viridian:

StephenM3

• Professor
    • View Profile
    • Cloud Cover (my games)
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2010, 11:12:46 pm »
Er... I tried out slowdown mode breifly, but now that I've turned it off again, things still aren't going at quite normal speed.    :(

I checked the "LIES" enemy to be sure, since I remembered those fire at the same speed as the music.  Things seem to be going at more than half speed, but significantly slower than normal.  The setting still says 'full speed.'

Shasharala

• Professor
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2010, 10:05:43 am »
Slowdown mode?  :o
Since when and where!?

StephenM3

• Professor
    • View Profile
    • Cloud Cover (my games)
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2010, 05:37:15 pm »
Since forever, in the accessibility options.  Wouldn't fool around with it now, though, in case my bug isn't an isolated incident.

Terry

• Administrator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • distractionware
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2010, 05:39:41 pm »
Bugger, that can't be right... I'll check it here and see if I can make sense of it...

Terry

• Administrator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • distractionware
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2010, 05:41:08 pm »
I can't replicate it :( I can't think of any reason why that might be happening either...

Try moving the game to a new folder - it should change back to the default settings.

StephenM3

• Professor
    • View Profile
    • Cloud Cover (my games)
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2010, 07:09:14 pm »
It's weird... I'd tried slowdown mode before, and this didn't happen.  I can't think of anything I did differently to get it 'stuck' like this (the only thing I did in slowdown mode was try the super gravitron for 8 seconds before exiting and attempting to turn it off).  After some fooling around, it seems that it's at 60% speed, whether it's set to 60, 80, or full.  It slows down further if I set it to 40%, and if I set it to full it allows me to do Time Trials... but with everything still moving slowly.

Moving it to a new folder clears the problem, but of course also progress with time trials and trophies.   I'll resort to that if it doesn't get better in a week or so, I guess.  Right now I've been trying to 'jiggle it unstuck' by changing the setting and saving and messing around in various parts of the game.

I thought it might be my computer being slow, but since it goes fast again in another folder, that doesn't seem to be the case.  This is a very, very weird bug.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 07:16:57 pm by StephenM3 »

Sniffnoy

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2010, 08:39:55 am »
This is the general error-reporting thread, right?  I'm using Ubuntu, just upgraded to Lucid - I was using a pretty old Ubuntu release - was wondering if maybe that was related to the slowdown I encountered earlier - only, now the game doesn't work at all; when I try to run it under wine - doing it from the command line so I can see the errors - I first get the message "err:menubuilder:WinMain unknown option -a", and then it exits with a bus error.  Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Edit: I only now just thought to actually update to the latest version of Wine.  Now the error messages are:
err:menubuilder:WinMain unknown option -a
err:menubuilder:WinMain unknown option -r
...and then once again it exits with a bus error.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 05:52:30 am by Sniffnoy »