YYYYYY

Started by Robson, February 02, 2010, 09:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James

Quote from: Robson on April 20, 2010, 10:06:25 PM
Yes! For my campaigns at least. Other people are welcome to do anything they want. I'm not sticking strictly to the shades of the colours, but they are similarish. For example, the main character is called Yvette, but I've used pink instead of violet.

Cool. Actually, the name Yvette comes from the Yew tree, so maybe she should be green. Yolanda is a greek name that actually means Violet though!

They're hard to think of at first, but once you get going it's kinda fun, and hard to stop. I had two in mind when I made my last post, but I've managed to think of quite a few more since then:
Yttria, which is a chemical used to make the red phosphors on CRT-type TVs and monitors
Yale, as in Yale Blue, a dark blue named after the official colour of Yale University
Yahto, which means blue in the Sioux (Native American) languge
Yaqut which means sapphire in Arabic
Yamini means night in sanskrit but I guess a black character won't show up on the background, but (maybe dark grey?)
Yin which is chineese for silver
Ygnasio is from the latin for fire
Yarkon (male) or Yarkona come from the Hebrew for green.

Those are the best ones I could think of.

Robson

New development version released!

Map exporting
- Can now export maps of the campaign, from the campaign completion screen (they're bitmaps, so are ridiculously massive. saving them as png files will make them significantly smaller)

Super Cellulatron
- Added restart option
- Removed gold
- Changed the layout generator so the sides are no longer empty
- Tunnels can wrap around the room
- Each time you enter the blank lines, you get one point and the game speed increases slightly

Bugs fixed
- Fixed a bug with spike collision wrapping unintentionally
- Game menu used to show all folders in the game folder. Now it only shows folders that contain a layout.txt file

Stuff to help campaign makers
- Updated the campaign creation guide
- Press f5 to jump directly to a room
- Missing map files are displayed when a campaign is started
- Map files are no longer case sensitive, which should avoid confusion
- Added a toolbar to the level editor, so you can visually select different tools and see what tile is being drawn
- Added warps to the tiles of the level editor
- Added warps to the settings window of the level editor

Added stuff (these are very untested, so could be buggy)
- The player character can now appear as pqdb, which is based on the direction they are facing. It's enabled in this version, but will probably be disabled in the real versions. It can be enabled/disabled in the settings.ini file
- Direction tiles are now usable when rotated to 90 and 270 degrees
- Xbox 360 controller can now enable/disable fullscreen mode
- Added a 'how to' guide for the videos, which is in videos.txt

Quote from: arcticwolf15 on April 18, 2010, 10:05:07 PM
I just finished a campaign
I fixed the bugs and uploaded a new version of the jailbreak campaign. I like it a lot :viridian:

Quote from: James on April 21, 2010, 03:56:00 AM
Those are the best ones I could think of.
Interesting! Thanks for the ideas. I didn't know there was a green yvette colour as well. I only knew about the violet shades. I'm not sure what to call my rescue-es now... decisions, decisions!

CooL

Loving the new update!  Keep up the good work!  :viridian:

James

Quote from: Robson on April 21, 2010, 10:42:18 PM
Interesting! Thanks for the ideas. I didn't know there was a green yvette colour as well. I only knew about the violet shades. I'm not sure what to call my rescue-es now... decisions, decisions!

I gon't think the name Yvette is generally associated with the colour green. It's just that the name froms from the Yew tree...which is green. I don't think it's commonly associated with violet either, except for the page you linked to of course. I was trying to stick to concrete associations with colours or direct meanings. It seems like the NBS/ISCC colour names have completely arbitrary names, or at least are a real stretch (for example, I guess their colour called "Yucatan" looks kinda Mexican somehow). In fact, if you google Yvette and Violet you don't really get any results relating the name to the colour.

I'd be quite interested to know how Terry came up with his names!

By the way, I've been playing  a bit and I've noticed a minor but annoying subtlety in the controls. I'm not sure why, but it seems like sometimes the buttons are slightly delayed or something. If you press the flip button quickly, it won't do anything, especially if you've just landed. It's especially noticible in sections that require quick movement and changes of direction, like in the Jailbreak campain. If you have to jump and immediately move sideways, you'll often move before the flip command seems to go through, or vice versa, and just fall off the edge. Or, (for example, in the page Quicksand in Jailbreak), I'll try to hold the arrow key and time the flips as I run accross the platforms, but the flip button often seems to be slow to respond, causing me to walk off the platform into the spikes even if I press the button early.

Shasharala

I'm wondering if the speed of the game is still be tested.  I remember there were controls to speed up movement and to slow it down but I forget.
Don't forget to pull out that code when it's done!  :D
Now to play test this new version.

I was thinking... is it possible to stick all the campaign folders in a folder named "Campaigns" or something?  I imagine as more campaigns start to be made it will start to get pretty cluttered with all the folders.

Hmm... a few things I'm noticing.  First is it possible to get the mouse pointer to go away in fullscreen?

Second, in all campaigns I notice in fullscreen two things happen:
A. The background is gray now.  Is that on purpose?  It seemed to work just fine as black.
B. When walking near a... console?  What do you call those computer things... they're big T's... the console screen/words appear stretched across the lower portion of the screen.

See this picture here it has both issues in it:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/Shashrala/YYYYYY/HugeConsole.png

Third, when did the avatar for Mr. Y become a P?  Is it always going to be that way?  Does it have anything to do with that PQDB?

Fourth, is it possible to get the campaigns or start screen to start in fullscreen every time if the game was put into fullscreen in the past?

Robson

Thanks for your feedback guys!

Quote from: James on April 22, 2010, 02:14:57 AM
By the way, I've been playing a bit and I've noticed a minor but annoying subtlety in the controls. I'm not sure why, but it seems like sometimes the buttons are slightly delayed or something. If you press the flip button quickly, it won't do anything, especially if you've just landed. It's especially noticible in sections that require quick movement and changes of direction, like in the Jailbreak campain. If you have to jump and immediately move sideways, you'll often move before the flip command seems to go through, or vice versa, and just fall off the edge. Or, (for example, in the page Quicksand in Jailbreak), I'll try to hold the arrow key and time the flips as I run accross the platforms, but the flip button often seems to be slow to respond, causing me to walk off the platform into the spikes even if I press the button early.

Movement and timings have been super-tricky to do, mostly due to this being real-time, grid-based and needing precision. It's hard (impossible?) to get it working perfectly :victoria:

Every 85 milliseconds the screen updates, which is about 11.7 times per second. At this point the game checks if you have tapped/held the left/right key at any time in the past 85 milliseconds. If yes, the game will move you left/right.

Previously this was 75 milliseconds, but tapping left/right often took slightly over 75 milliseconds, which would occassionally result in moving twice. I definitely didn't want that, so I slightly increased the time to fix that.

Flipping works in very much the same way, except you only flip once per press/hold of the button. This is intentional, to avoid flipping in a short tunnel, then immediately flipping back again, because you accidentally held the key for too long.

You can move vertically and horizontally in the same screen update, with vertical movement processed first.

I'm designing my campaign so flips are rarely needed close together, so I don't think this will be an issue. I must admit I'm not a fan of very difficult games (in no way is that a criticism of VVVVVV, it's just what I like). So my campaigns won't be at the same difficulty level as VVVVVV. The room in Jailbreak with the dissolving tiles is harder than any of my rooms. However, there are opportunities for difficulty. Mostly in optional routes for collecting souvenirs and permadeath mode. I'm hoping that other people will write campaigns, which will lead to a whole range of difficulties.

I think arcticwolf designed his campaign without being able to play the levels (due to my confusing case-sensitive room filenames, which is gone now), so understandably he wasn't able to determine how difficult each room was.

Quote from: Shasharala on April 22, 2010, 05:14:09 AM
I'm wondering if the speed of the game is still be tested.  I remember there were controls to speed up movement and to slow it down but I forget.
Don't forget to pull out that code when it's done!  :D
Haha! All the debugging stuff can be turned off in the settings.ini file, so it's quick to enable/disable :viridian:

Currently the key to speed up/down is d and shift+d, although I realised yesterday that it conflicts with the WASD movement, so from the next update it'll be t and shift+t to change the speed.

I was thinking... is it possible to stick all the campaign folders in a folder named "Campaigns" or something?  I imagine as more campaigns start to be made it will start to get pretty cluttered with all the folders.
That's a good point. I think other indie games do the same (e.g. Knytt Stories). I've got loads of mini campaigns that I use for testing stuff, so my folder is getting cluttered up!

Hmm... a few things I'm noticing.  First is it possible to get the mouse pointer to go away in fullscreen?
Aye, that would be possible. If I can do it without dll calls I'll make it an option in the settings.ini file.

Second, in all campaigns I notice in fullscreen two things happen:
A. The background is gray now.  Is that on purpose?  It seemed to work just fine as black.
Yes, that's intentional! On levels with empty spaces on the sides, it was difficult to know where the room ended and the window began, because they were both black. So I made the window dark grey instead. That way you can instantly tell the difference.

B. When walking near a... console?  What do you call those computer things... they're big T's... the console screen/words appear stretched across the lower portion of the screen.

See this picture here it has both issues in it:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/Shashrala/HugeConsole.png
Terminals ;) But whooops, the blackness should only go on the terminal message part. I'll get that fixed. I very rarely test the game in fullscreen mode, but "test fullscreen mode" is on my todo list :viridian:

Third, when did the avatar for Mr. Y become a P?  Is it always going to be that way?  Does it have anything to do with that PQDB?
Yes it does! I think I mentioned this in the version details....

Fourth, is it possible to get the campaigns or start screen to start in fullscreen every time if the game was put into fullscreen in the past?
That would be good as well - I'll add it to the settings.ini file.

arcticwolf15

An updated version of jailbreak can be found here. You may use some of my levels Robson. ;) Just give me credit.

Edit: Jailbreak took an entire day to make, which was the day after I downloaded version 0.6.

Edit2: Made words in "Do the wave" visible. Link updated.

Edit3: Fixed some bugs hopefully, link updated.

Edit4: I keep finding bugs... fixing them... blah blah blach... link updated.

Edit5: Figure it out, man.

Edit6: Fixed rotations, link updated.

Edit7: UGGH! I keep finding too many bugs! Link updated.

Edit8:Link updated.

Edit9: Robson, I have noticed in the latest build that orange things like rotations and reflectors are acting as a wall, and you must position yourself inside them with the mouse to use them. I would also like for anyone to find and fix all bugs in Jailbreak. This includes teleports, and possibly this glitch.

Shasharala

I am noticing this as well.  Notably in 'Fork in the Road'.
See this picture here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/Shashrala/YYYYYY/TheImperviousWallofDoom.png
I can't get past the orange rotators.  They're acting like a wall basically.

By the way, the debugging ability to click where you want to be to get around obstacles doesn't work in fullscreen mode.
Of course this isn't a big deal since I can just go to normal mode and then back again and because this debugging feature won't be in the full game anyway.

Alas, another bug I have found, though a fortunate one at that.  In 'Fork in the Road' upon flipping from the top of the screen down towards the terminal I receive my message and stop in mid-air.  Everything's working fine, for now.  I exit the message from the terminal and magically pass right through the teleporter to fall onto the floor of 'Fork in the Road'.  See the above picture to get an idea of what 'Fork in the Road' looks like.
The reason I call it a fortunate bug is because upon inspection of the room it appears there are two ways to leave.  One by teleporter and one by exit on the bottom left.  If I use the Terminal and this bug didn't occur I would be forced to be teleported away.  Basically I think the bug should be fixed and the terminal moved unless articwolf15 wants us to be teleported away upon reading the terminal.
Although, I can see how it could not be a bug and done on purpose with foresight to Terminals placed above teleporters.  Is this the case?  Either way the game still functions fine.
In fact this bug may not be so bad after all since it gives one a second chance to choose if they wish to enter a teleporter.  The only time this would not come in handy is if there had been spikes on the floor underneath the teleporter and I fell through the teleporter to my untimely death.
So... I don't know.  It's nifty and buggy depending on how one looks at it.

A Revision:
It seems that upon entering the room from the bottom left of 'Fork in the Road' (This new room is called 'Main Gate') it is a dead end.
Great.
I grab the free souvenier and turn around and enter 'Fork in the Road' again.
I flip up to use the teleporter.
Nothing happens.
What!?
I flip back and forth trying to activate it.
I flip past the Terminal on the way down so as to not 'glitch' the teleporter then touch the teleporter.
Nothing.
I'm trapped in 'Fork in the Road'.
The teleporter is broken.
:victoria:

So maybe the bug/glitch I mentioned above doesn't exist so much as the teleporter isn't simply working.
Is anyone else receiving this bug?

arcticwolf15

If someone could give me the correct coordinates, that would be great. Also, I am probably going to take out the rotation portion and make "ROTATINATE!" a maze of conveyor belts. I am going to change the level "I just don't know" to something else.

Robson

Quote from: arcticwolf15 on April 23, 2010, 01:52:07 AM
Edit9: Robson, I have noticed in the latest build that orange things like rotations and reflectors are acting as a wall, and you must position yourself inside them with the mouse to use them. I would also like for anyone to find and fix all bugs in Jailbreak. This includes teleports, and possibly this glitch.
I uploaded a fixed version the other day, which moves the rotation tiles into the previous room and fixes the teleport, along with a few other fixes.

Rotation tiles only work if you fall into them, so they should be placed with empty tiles all around them, or in a way that only allows them to be accessed whilst flipping in the air. There's a few examples at one-minute in this video.

Quote from: arcticwolf15 on April 23, 2010, 01:52:07 AM
An updated version of jailbreak can be found here. You may use some of my levels Robson. ;) Just give me credit.
Would you be open to a few changes to the campaign, if I gave you a bit of advice? If so, I'd love to include the entire campaign with the official release of the game, with full credit to you.

Quote from: Shasharala on April 23, 2010, 02:47:14 PM
By the way, the debugging ability to click where you want to be to get around obstacles doesn't work in fullscreen mode.
Aye, it was disabled in fullscreen mode, because it was just a really simple "divide coordinates by tile size" calculation before. Now it takes into account extra window space, so it works in fullscreen mode. Will be in for the next version, which will hopefully be later today.

Quote from: Shasharala on April 23, 2010, 02:47:14 PM
So maybe the bug/glitch I mentioned above doesn't exist so much as the teleporter isn't simply working.
That's it - no co-ordinates have been set on the teleporter, so the game doesn't have anywhere to move the player to. I'll make a message appear when no co-ordinates have been set, so people can understand what's going on.

arcticwolf15

QuoteQuote from: arcticwolf15 on April 23, 2010, 02:52:07 AM
An updated version of jailbreak can be found here. You may use some of my levels Robson.  Just give me credit.

Would you be open to a few changes to the campaign, if I gave you a bit of advice? If so, I'd love to include the entire campaign with the official release of the game, with full credit to you.

Sure. Except that in "fork in the road," what you're standing on is actually supposed to be the floor, not the ceiling. Also, change "I just don't know" to something else. These are my terms. Contact me if you need any more levels. ;)

Robson

Saving/loading is written in! :viridian: That's the last of the complicated features, so from now I'm going to be shifting my focus to the campaigns. With the engine, I'll just be fixing bugs and doing minor things.

New version is available in the first post, which contains:

Saving/Loading
- Is finally in!
- Loading restores your exact position and souvenirs, deaths, red spikes/words, turns, etc.
- Loading takes about 1 second per 3.5 minutes of playing.
- Optionally, you can see all your moves whilst loading.

Other
- Moved campaigns to a folder called "campaigns"
- Pressing escape on the menu window returns you to the previous menu, instead of quitting the game. If you're on the first menu, the game will still quit as before

Fullscreen mode
- Message backgrounds no longer extend across the whole screen in fullscreen mode
- Campaigns can be automatically started in fullscreen mode (see settings.ini)
- Mouse cursor can be hidden in fullscreen mode (see settings.ini)

Stuff to help campaign makers
- Clicking to move the player now works in fullscreen mode
- Level editor now asks the room size when a level is opened for the first time
- When a room is loaded in the game:
   - The game shows an error message when a new room warp has no data
   - The game shows an error message if it encounters any invalid tiles
   - The game shows an error message when a green/blue/red warp has no matching warp
   - If a word enemy has no word set (or the word is shorter than the length), the missing letters will appears as X's
   - If a word/platform is only one tile, the game will display an error message.
- When a campaign is opened in the game:
   - If a room isn't square, the game will warn you if it finds a rotation tile
   - A warning message appears when a layout.txt file refers to a non-existant room file
   - A warning message appears if a room has a different size to other rooms
- Slower/faster game key is now T, instead of D, because it was conflicting with WASD movement

Videos
- Videos can be copied within the game, by pressing C when the video is selected in the menu
- Videos can be deleted within the game, by pressing delete when the video is selected in the menu

Quote from: arcticwolf15 on April 24, 2010, 05:31:35 PM
QuoteQuote from: arcticwolf15 on April 23, 2010, 02:52:07 AM
An updated version of jailbreak can be found here. You may use some of my levels Robson.  Just give me credit.

Sure. Except that in "fork in the road," what you're standing on is actually supposed to be the floor, not the ceiling. Also, change "I just don't know" to something else. These are my terms. Contact me if you need any more levels. ;)
I'm happy with that! I'll get started on this next week.

arcticwolf15

Forgot to post this earlier, but this is what "Do the wave" is supposed to be:
#NAME=Do the wave
#WORD1=YYY
#WORD2=YYY
#WORD3=YYY
#WORD4=YYY
#WORD5=YYY
#WORD6=YYY
#WORD7=YYY
#WORD8=YYY
#WORD9=YYY
#WORD10=YYY
#WORD11=YYY
#WORD12=YYY
#WORD13=YYY
#WORD14=YYY
#WORD14=YYY
#WORD15=YYY
#WORD16=YYY
#WORD17=YYY
#WORD18=YYY
#WORD19=YYY
#WORD20=YYY

1FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF1
1  x   x   x x   x   x1
  xxX xxX xx xX xxX xx
xxxXxxxXxxx xXxxxXxxx
xx Xxx Xxx   Xxx Xxx 
4x   x   x  4  x   x  4

Paste it into "E" for the level.

Edit: Can you make a tutorial for making warps?

Shasharala

I am loving the Jailbreak campaign.  Pretty neato!
There are a few things I'm having issues with though.
Before I begin explaining the issues I'm having, though, I need to state which version of the game I am using.  I am using the version Robson fixed and posted about in this reply:

Quote from: Robson on April 21, 2010, 10:42:18 PM

Quote from: arcticwolf15 on April 18, 2010, 10:05:07 PM
I just finished a campaign
I fixed the bugs and uploaded a new version of the jailbreak campaign. I like it a lot :viridian:

#1:
Take a look at this screenshot of 'I Just Don't Know': http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/Shashrala/YYYYYY/Ijustdontknow.png

In it if I enter the green 'e' teleporter from the left and keep pressing right I'll slide safely over underneath the blue 'e', right before the conveyer belt.  Then I can take a calming breath, get a glass of water, and use the restroom before flipping up into the blue 'e' teleporter.  I basically can bypass the entire middle half of the room just by doing that.  If a wall was made on the right side of the screen that would stop me and any other ingenious players from bypassing the conveyer belt of doom.  The new wall would make me and others properly reach the blue 'e' teleporter.
Also, see that ! above the spikes on the bottom of the screen?
If I flip into that and die there I will keep dieing there in an infinite loop since gravity says I am dropping down when I spawn at that !.
Unfortunately there are a few places like this in the game.  Even in the first room called 'Welcome'.  If I stupidly flipped up from one of the respawn points in that room I would be trapped in an infinite kill loop there too and have to quit my game and start over.  Of course, who would be stupid enough to do that in 'Welcome'?  Me, I guess.  It's not too bad there though, since it's at the beginning of the game.  There are other rooms with !'s like this but, again, you'd have to be stupid to flip into them.
I do feel the one in 'I Just Don't Know' should be removed.  It is serving no purpose there unlike other !'s that are dangerous, but serve purposes.

#2:
Take a look at this picture please: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/Shashrala/YYYYYY/pipecoma.png

It is of a room labeled 'Pipe Coma'.  Cute little room, I must say.  Unfortunately, upon reaching the last ! of 'Pipe Coma' the error you saw in the picture pops up.  I don't know what that error means.  But I do know what it does to the game.  From then on I am always pulled to the left.  My char runs to the left no matter what.  He runs into spikes, walls, everything.  I can still flip but it's quite annoying because it makes the game unplayable.  I can only move left, up, and down; and I'm always moving left.  Also, every time I die the error pops up again.  Usually after I die I stop running to the left, but the error message keeps popping up with every death.  It just ruins the gameplay.  If it would be possible to figure out what was causing this error I would be very happy because then I could finally play 'Jailbreak' bug-free.
Note:
I've noticed that in that picture, right above my char, on the last !, there is a runway tile instead of a wall tile.  Could this not be helping?

I've noticed that it is possible to run into other rooms of the game when I shouldn't be.  For example:
Make your way to the room named 'BECAUSE! THAT'S WHY!'.
Go as far left as you can and hold left.
Then drop down, continuing to hold left.
Once you get into the room 'OH NOES!' (see picture: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/Shashrala/YYYYYY/OhnoIndeed.png ) you will suddenly move offscreen into a room you've been in before.
It's 'Lost in Space Station'!  How the heck did we get here!?
See Picture: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/Shashrala/YYYYYY/LostinaWall.png
See me?  I'm behind one of the blocks in the upper right hand corner.
Well, I'm assuming it's because of how the map is laid out in-game.  Basically the left wall of 'OH NOES' is the floor of 'Lost in Space Station'.
The Problem:
The room called 'OH NOES' does not have a wall on the left or on the right ( I havn't tested it out yet, but my guess is that if I try to leave the room on the right I fall in another room too).  Therefore you fall right into 'Lost in Space Station' if you try to go left.  In fact, it can lead some to believe there is a room over there since it is not blocked off.
Fortunately, it is possible to leave 'Lost in Space Station' by moving right one space to fall on the spikes in 'OH NOES'.
Also, fortunately, the player cannot enter the room called 'Lost in Space Station'.  The wall the player is trapped in does not let them move left into the room.
The Issue:
This is a problem though.  There are some rooms in the game that do allow movement out of the wall and into that room.  Basically, any room that it is created where it is possible to touch the edge of the room should have a wall, unless you want the player to think that there is a room over there to enter.

Not really a bug, just something that would be cool.
The room containing the last souvenir should have a name!  :viridian:
It's a pretty neat room and it's just luck that I discovered it.  You know where it is!  It's the only trinket that has a Terminal that talks about it.
By the way, in the terminal that talks about it souvenir is spelled wrong.
If you don't know what room I'm talking about, I'll send you a personal message of how to get there and a picture.  I don't want others to know how to get there, on this forum, besides the makers of the campaign.

That's all I can think of for now!  Great campaign!  8)

Now for problems with YYYYYY in general.
Only one this time.  :viridian:
I've noticed that now that we can click in fullscreen mode to warp our char anywhere, if I click outside the general screen on the grey then the game crashes.
Take a look at this picture: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/Shashrala/YYYYYY/AughBoom.png

Notice where my pointer is.
I don't know what that error means.  It obviously doesn't like what I did.
And remember it crashes after this.

If this could be remedied I'd be grateful.  If not, then I'll just try not to accidentally press the mouse, when I'm debugging, out there.

Well, that's a lot to think about for 'Jailbreak', articwolf15 and Robson.  I hope you guys get what you feel is important from what I listed here sorted out.
Thanks for letting me debug stuff.  :)

Robson

arcticwolf15: Sure thing, I'll write a warp guide early next week.

Shasharala: Thanks for the bug report! I'll make sure that's sorted in the next version. I assume you are clicking outside of the game area? I've forgotten to write checks to make sure clicking is done within the game area, so the calculation to determine the new players position would be moving the player outside of the game area, resulting in that error.