YYYYYY

Started by Robson, February 02, 2010, 09:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robson

Quote from: arcticwolf15 on June 06, 2010, 06:53:53 PM
Hey, I was a campaign tester!
I suppose it really means "campaign feedbacker", but that sounds a bit weird! Terry and Shasharala provided me with loads of useful feedback, so that's why I put their names in. I'd love to hear about any ideas/suggestions/bugs that you had as well?

Quote from: Shasharala on June 06, 2010, 08:04:18 PM
Robson, it would appear that this new version you released is set in default debugging mode.  Is that on purpose?
Whoops, you're right, it's not supposed to be. I switched it on while I was testing the map exporting. I suppose there's no harm done, as long as I remember to switch it off for v1.0 :viridian:

Shasharala

I suppose you're referring to the campaign you designed, and since I don't see it in this version, are still working on?

By the way.  I have to admit that now that we gain points for each line in the Super Cellulatron it feels much more rewarding.  Before I'd get a score of 4, but now I can brag about having a score of 100's of points!
It feels like all my effort counts.  Before, if I made it to the end of one "wave"(don't know what to call it here) I'd be rewarded one point, but never was I rewarded for making it 3/4's of the way through one "wave".

Robson

Quote from: Shasharala on June 06, 2010, 08:24:17 PM
I suppose you're referring to the campaign you designed, and since I don't see it in this version, are still working on?
That's the one! I'm considering it finished, but leaving it out of these development builds. I'd like to release it together with any campaigns that other people make.

Shasharala

Well, now that classes are almost over, I'll be able to finally produce a campaign in my free time.  :viridian:
All I gotta do is learn how to make levels.  It musn't be too hard, I presume.
Soon, I say!  Soon!

I'm also wondering how articwolf15's campaign "Gauntlet" is coming along.  I'm really looking forward to it since I liked his last campaign.

Robson

Quote from: Shasharala on June 06, 2010, 08:33:26 PM
Well, now that classes are almost over, I'll be able to finally produce a campaign in my free time.  :viridian:
All I gotta do is learn how to make levels.  It musn't be too hard, I presume.
Awesome :viridian: Let me know if there's anything I can do to help!

Quote from: Shasharala on June 06, 2010, 08:24:17 PM
By the way.  I have to admit that now that we gain points for each line in the Super Cellulatron it feels much more rewarding.  Before I'd get a score of 4, but now I can brag about having a score of 100's of points!
It feels like all my effort counts.  Before, if I didn't make it to the end of one "wave"(don't know what to call it here) I'd be rewarded one point, but not rewarded for making it 3/4's of the way through one "wave".
Glad you're liking it! I can take no credit for the new scoring though - 't'was all The Brass's idea :viridian:

Shasharala

Indeed.  I'm glad he suggested it.

Hmm...
I just noticed something about the campaign "Jailbreak" today.
At the end of the game, when in the room with Ahnic, if you're on the side with Ahnic and flip upwards one passes right through the bounce beam at the bottom of the level and ends up on the other side.  But when testing the bounce beam from the other side, it remains functional.  Since I havn't constructed any levels yet, is this normal?  Is it possible to control which sides of a bounce beam bounce the player back?

arcticwolf15

I didn't really have any suggestions because it was great, I didn't have any bugs and glitches, and Shash, imma be working on it right nao! The first room will be safe for the first part and last.

Names Currently using:

So close yet so far
Twyn tightropes
Y god Y
Y so serious?
Possibly Welcome to Y-oming
Bullet tyme
The cake is a Y
Back to so close, yet so far
If at first you don't succeed, Y, Y again (last room)

Edit: I noticed it too. I knew that when Robson edited it, he moved it there. Y?

Shasharala

Those names crack me up.  8)
They're perfect.  I love the how naming rooms allows us to add a little bit of emotion to the game.

arcticwolf15

Took a 5 minute break to do this. It's an updated version of Jailbreak. It fixes the "Last level issue", and has a changed ending message. I wonder if there's anything more to this message.

Shasharala

Haha! Cool! I downloaded it and played it.  Seems to work just fine. =)

Robson

Quote from: Shasharala on June 06, 2010, 08:54:45 PM
At the end of the game, when in the room with Ahnic, if you're on the side with Ahnic and flip upwards one passes right through the bounce beam at the bottom of the level and ends up on the other side.  But when testing the bounce beam from the other side, it remains functional.  Since I havn't constructed any levels yet, is this normal?  Is it possible to control which sides of a bounce beam bounce the player back?
The game ignores most objects when the player enters a level - this is to help people making maps. For example, if you accidentally put a bounce beam on the edge of a room, then walked into the room, you'd immediately spring back to the original room. I assume that the campaign maker has accidentally placed the bounce beam there, because you wouldn't want that in a finished campaign. So I just make the player go into the object. That way people can see what's gone wrong.

However, that helping feature is also applied to room wrapping, where it doesn't make as much sense. I'm thinking this might be really complicated to change, but I'll have a look when I get home.

Shasharala

I see.
That all makes sense.  I always thought it was funny when one walks into an object in the game.  It works well though.  One can clearly see the problem.

arcticwolf15

School wyrk. Ugh. Really wish I could work, but oh well. I'll just give you a room sneak peak. These I have done. A little out of order.

Title: Nyw Supyr Maryo Bros.

What is it?: it uses the concept of three's a crowd and three's company, but takes it into a mario-based level.

Title: Preparing for the wyrst

What is it?: The finish to to the mario level, players must land on top of the "flag" or fall into spikes. :vermillion: It's also before a "DTTHW" like level. Umm, levels.

Title: Wyrds can hurt too

What is it?: First level with word enemies.

Title: ASCYY graphics

What is it?: A bit like "Harsh Mistress" but with a set path which needs to be followed.

Title: Fyrst contact

What is it?: Safe room with a terminal containing a distress call from Yale.

Title: XEBLQWEB

What is it?: A potpourri of level concepts I couldn't decide on.

Robson

Looking forward to that :viridian:

I've posted a new version in the first post, which mostly has suggestions submitted by you guys:

- Updated the Jailbreak campaign to 1.7.
- Rooms can have alternative names, which are quickly shown at regular intervals. These are set using the ALTNAME setting in the level editor.
- The room colour scheme will no longer be the same colour as any teleporters in that room.
- The player is now affected by bounce wires if they wrap to the top/bottom of the room.
- In debug mode you can press F6 to show the number of spikes and checkpoints in the current campaign.
- Exported maps display the amount of deaths in each room.

arcticwolf15

I just finished school! I'm in 8th grade! I promise, I will have nothing to do and will be so bored, that I will finish The Gauntlet!