Learning to Do Things the Hard Way

Started by ryos, March 14, 2010, 10:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryos

Doing Things the Hard Way is such a massive challenge that every time I get it, I feel like I have to learn how all over again. I thought it might be interesting to try and depict my titanic struggles with a single image. This image shows the fifth time I did things the hard way:

I posted a write-up of how I made it on my blog. That post also has a link to the full-sized version. After I posted it, I realized that nobody who reads my blog is likely to care. So, I came here.  :viridian:

Shasharala

hooray

I would love to see someone play through the entire game and do that!!

Terry

Haha, that's really amazing. ;D

I almost feel guilty when I see how much effort people put into getting that one trinket. Almost.

Josiah Tobin

I eventually just gave up and decided to enjoy the rest of the game. :) I'm sure if I made an image like that it'd have a lot more blue and red in it!

~Josiah

Tukkun

Huh? This trinket is insanely easy. Just remember to go the far right in Vici room when falling down.

StephenM3

Quote from: Tukkun on March 23, 2010, 06:13:43 AMThis trinket is insanely easy.
I don't think you'll make many friends by espousing that opinion too adamantly or frequently.  Many a vvvvvv-player has logged a couple intense hours in order to develop the muscle memory necessary to accomplish this thing.

CooL

I remember I spent 3 hours just trying to get this trinket...First day I spent 1 hour till I gave up, then the very next day I spent 2 hours till I finally got it.

Tukkun

Well - I admit that I spent 21 minutes for my first time as well, but after I get how to do it, I can do it like 90% of the time... For me, Gordian Knot is harder.

ryos

Thanks for the comments, guys. :) To hooray, I wouldn't want to be the one making that hypothetical whole-game-playthrough image. Just the sorting phase would take forever.  :victoria:

Quote from: Tukkun on March 23, 2010, 06:13:43 AM
Huh? This trinket is insanely easy. Just remember to go the far right in Vici room when falling down.

Heh, yeah, it's actually making it back to Vici that's the trouble. "Easy mode unlocked" is the hardest room in the return trip IMO. And as you can see in the image, I once locked up and forgot to do anything when I made it back to Vici - I was so surprised at having survived Easy Mode Unlocked when it looked like I wouldn't that I momentarily forgot what to do about it.

You can also see that I once got a little too excited, and hit right too early.  :-[

As for Gordian Knot, it's not too bad for me because I can pause at every stage and gauge my next move. Doing Things the Hard Way is all hard training and muscle memory—there isn't enough time to think, so you have to rely on your hindbrain to get you through.

You could make a case for Edge Games being the harder trinket, or Prize for the Reckless. Those two don't lend themselves as well to muscle memory, so repeatedly getting them doesn't help much. I always forget the trick to "A Deception" and have to figure it out again. That might make for another interesting image...

But "Gordion Knot"? Phhhbt. :P

Tukkun

Edge Games is a 10% for me, Prize For The Reckless... I can do it like 99% of the time.

Also, I strongly recommend taking the left path in "Getting Here is Half The Fun".

hooray

Quote from: ryos on March 26, 2010, 04:53:23 AM
Thanks for the comments, guys. :) To hooray, I wouldn't want to be the one making that hypothetical whole-game-playthrough image. Just the sorting phase would take forever.  :victoria:

I imagine it would take a long time, but it would certainly look awesome  :viridian: