One Room Challenges Demo

Started by Arkive86, January 16, 2015, 09:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkive86

It appears that you have stumbled across my level. Well, the demo, anyways. I started making this really difficult thing, and I finished up the first portion of it. Maybe one day I'll get to finishing the whole thing! Until then, enjoy this demo.

As with many things, please comment on this. Anything works. Say what you liked, what you didn't like, say "Hi," anything.

EDIT 1/17/2015: Added the second version to the demo! No added gameplay, but it looks nicer!

EDIT 1/18/2015: Added the third demo version! Hopefully this looks nicer.

EDIT 1/18/2015 (2): Added two fourth demo versions! The difference is in the music rooms, which I would like to know which one looks better. Also, all versions 4 and future will be posted on the reply which introduces its changes.

shape worrior t

Hi, and... welcome to the forums? Unless you have another account, or the post counter is inaccurate..
This level isn't bad. No glitches, and it's hard, but it has many checkpoints, which is what makes most people like harder levels.
(The level could look better with a thing called direct mode, which allows you to select the tile to use. I know some people don't like single-tiled walls...)

moth 🦋

Welcome! I haven't played it but...
Quote from: shape worrior t on January 16, 2015, 11:55:50 PM. I know some people don't like single-tiled walls...)
SINGLE >:( TILES??? >:(

||||||
VVVV

Arkive86

Ah, so that's what Direct Mode does... I'm going to have to use this all the time now!

Thanks for the comments, I've uploaded the second demo version and will make sure to use this new tool in my arsenal.

Also, I technically am not new to the forum, but I might as well be considered new. I uploaded one other (extremely cheesy) map about half a year ago, but haven't really done anything since then.

shape worrior t

Okay then... but, then, why do you have only 2 posts?  :-\ ???
Oh, and, the level still doesn't look that good. There are still many single - tiled walls, some of the backing still looks weird, and I don't know why you activated direct mode in 3,1 and 4,1, when it didn't fix the single-tile wall problems. Were you trying to make it look interesting?
Places to fix (you can also ask me or someone else to do it):
Unless you like them, you should fix them.

allison

Quote from: shape worrior t on January 18, 2015, 02:14:45 AM
Okay then... but, then, why do you have only 2 posts?  :-\ ???
There's a bug where new topics don't count in post counts.

shape worrior t

Okay then... is that only for someone's first topic or something?
So, will the single-tile walls be corrected? Remember, you can change stuff up if they don't look good!

Arkive86

Alright, I modified the demo again. I hope this fixes the problems! I was, with the music rooms, going for a style thing, but I can see why people might not like it. With this newest version, it shouldn't have any single tile problems; if I missed any, please tell me! I really appreciate the feedback, so let me know of anything you'd like to see. Also, I wasn't quite sure what you were seeing in room (2,1) for issues, so if you could elaborate that would be helpful. Thanks!

shape worrior t

Well, then, for the music rooms, you can change it back.
2,1 has some backing that doesn't look nice at all. This is how it should be:

Oh, and the backing in 1,1 looks very weird.
Still, this looks much nicer!

Arkive86

Ah, I see what was bothering you. I decided to fix it a little differently than you proposed, so just let me know if it looks nice or not. Also, with the music rooms, I have prepared two fourth version demos to compare between. The 1 edition is the one without the "Souleye" and numbers, while the 2 edition keeps them in. I'd like to know which one you prefer!

shape worrior t

;D
Actually, now, I think the souleye and numbers look okay. Maybe, keep the style, but change it to make it look slightly better. Well, keep the idea, but do something cool with it. Fill it in to make it look 3D, maybe. That way, I think many people will like it.
I think that's the last thing to change, regarding graphics.
Maybe, do something like this:

Arkive86

Yeah, that does look better. Thanks for the input! I'll probably be awhile till the next update; it's time to get to designing* more actual levels.

*procrastinating on making

Oh, but one question: What is the ID for the solid colored background texture? I can't seem to find it, is there something to Direct Mode I'm missing?

shape worrior t

Solid background textures? ???
If you mean the ones I used to make the 3D, it's 707 - 867 and 915 - 1155. They're after the wall tiles, near the Outside backing.