[II], the sequel to [\]

Started by Bruce Michez, February 09, 2015, 12:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Michez

The story so far...  In my previous level (http://distractionware.com/forum/index.php?topic=1816.0), the entire crew got imprisoned in an evil artificial dimension created by terrorists.  Things looked bleak until :viridian: happened upon a weird shadow machine, which he used to clone himself.  The copy of :viridian: broke the crew out of the dimension, destroyed it using its creators' very own flawed prototype weapon, and used the shadow machine to escape.

Unfortunately, this has had some unintended consequences.  All the original :viridian: knows is that his crew have been locked up again, this time semi-legitimately for transdimensional vandalism.  As yet another rescue mission unfolds, it becomes clear that he's made a terrible mistake.  Can he put the cosmos to rights?

• This level is longer than its predecessor, as its 20×20 map is a lot denser this time around.
  • Like before, however, it is not intended to be as punishing as some other maps.  It focuses more on exploration and story-telling.
  • It makes much more use of Direct Mode than its predecessor, notably in places where the foreground of one tileset is combined with the background of another.
  • It also makes use of the "hidden" songs accessible via scripting, including the powerful "Predestined Fate" remix.
  • Remember that you're playing as the original :viridian: this time, not as his clone.
  • There are two new characters you'll meet, including a bad-tempered admiral who's embarrassed about his name.
  • There is now a third and final entry in this series: http://distractionware.com/forum/index.php?topic=2768.0
Update history:

• Original release, downloaded 42 times
  • A patch that fixes too many things to list here.  Details will be posted below.

prrg

Bruce Michez

Quote from: prrg on February 09, 2015, 07:25:41 PM
Hey! Take a look at Featured Level ;)
http://spacestation.wikia.com/wiki/VVVVVV_Wiki

Hah, thank you!  So...how often are you going to be featuring levels?

prrg

15 days? 1 month? Dunno, let's say... anytime a map surprises me ;)

prrg

I'm using ;) way too much
If you ;) me
;)

Sendy

I've no idea how you get through Dimensional Projector (I think that's the name). Three gravity lines directly over spikes. Am I supposed to glitch through or something? Or have I missed a scripting trigger?

ZeNewDragon

Have you gone to all 3 fountains and through the purity check?

Bruce Michez

Quote from: Sendy on March 20, 2015, 11:39:32 PM
I've no idea how you get through Dimensional Projector (I think that's the name). Three gravity lines directly over spikes. Am I supposed to glitch through or something? Or have I missed a scripting trigger?
The gravity lines are there because you're not supposed to go through there yet.  When you are supposed to, you'll know.

Sendy

Ah, ok. I tried to go someplace else, and the game killed me (the rainbow death block). I suppose I have to leave the temple place and explore into the overworld. Good fun so far, though.

Sendy

Ok, well I can honestly say, that was freaking awesome. One of the best userlevels I've played. Great storyline expanding on the dimensional lore of the game. I 100%ed it on my first go, even though that meant some backtracking. It was that compelling.

Now to play the prequel, I guess.

Sendy

Oh yeah, and the Predestined Fate remix. Do we have a rockin' out smiley? We don't? Too bad. I guess this will do  :o

Bruce Michez

Quote from: Sendy on March 23, 2015, 02:33:12 PM
Ok, well I can honestly say, that was freaking awesome. One of the best userlevels I've played. Great storyline expanding on the dimensional lore of the game. I 100%ed it on my first go, even though that meant some backtracking. It was that compelling.

Now to play the prequel, I guess.

Thank you!

SJMistery

Damn, again i got lost... how many paths there are in the grey area?

ZeNewDragon

I remember that I missed a trinket in metaspace and I was disappointed to find out that I was unable to go back.

I think the other two I missed were in the transdimensional highway.

Bruce Michez

I did consider making it possible to backtrack to "Act One" areas, but decided that would've made an already maze-like level even trickier to navigate.  As it is, the best I could do was to have it so that there isn't really a bad ending for not getting 20/20, unlike the prequel where all 20 trinkets are required for :viridian:'s clone to escape certain death in the collapsing Dimension DCLXVI.