[II], the sequel to [\]

Started by Bruce Michez, February 09, 2015, 12:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SJMistery

SImple solution: lock the warps and include a terminal advising you of what the warp does in addition to unlock the warp, so if you go to the warp you know beforehand that it will take you to the back. also, you can just tell how many trinkets are in every section, in that terminal, easing the task of finding them all

ZeNewDragon

That, or have a flag set once you enter the dimension of the ancients that allows you to open a gravity lock from either side, leading between the final level and the rest of metaspace.

Bruce Michez

Interesting suggestions...

Quote from: SJMistery on March 25, 2015, 01:47:39 PM
SImple solution: lock the warps and include a terminal advising you of what the warp does in addition to unlock the warp, so if you go to the warp you know beforehand that it will take you to the back. also, you can just tell how many trinkets are in every section, in that terminal, easing the task of finding them all
The trouble with using a warp token is that I'd then have to place one somewhere in the Act One area, and have it only be available after accessing it from Act Three.  In both cases, where would I put them?

Quote from: ZeNewDragon on March 26, 2015, 06:32:54 PM
That, or have a flag set once you enter the dimension of the ancients that allows you to open a gravity lock from either side, leading between the final level and the rest of metaspace.
I think I like this idea better, since there are several screens (mainly in the side area accessed by going right from "Tales from the Transdimensional Ocean") which are split between Acts One and Three already.  It might be a while before I get around to revising this level, though, as I currently have to compose some special music for an acquaintance's wedding.  Like I said, trinkets aren't that important in this level; if they were there wouldn't be one that requires "Doing Things the Hard Way" again.  After all, this time the level isn't set in an evil dimension.

And yes, Dimension DCLXVI is indeed the name of the dimension in which the prequel took place.  It's 666 in Roman numerals.

Sendy

When I first played the game I thought I had to "complete" the temple area first, before moving out into the rest of the world. I may have just read the clues wrong but if you're thinking of patching the game, it might be good to make it clear the player must leave the temple. I thought the waterfall shrine things were going to be temple-side. That was really the only snag I ran into.

Bruce Michez

I haven't started work on the patch yet, but I thought I'd drop by to warn of a potential game-breaking glitch.  In "Viridian Killed the Radio Star" there's an "alternative" checkpoint.  Don't save at this point!  If you do, then reload, the game crashes rather spectacularly.  It turns out this glitch only occurs when using the in-game editor.

Bruce Michez

Version 2 is here.  I have addressed a number of issues.

• Nerfed "Wasps' Nest", since that room annoys even me, especially for so early in the level.
  • Nerfed "Snap Decisions" for the same reason.
  • Re-written dialogue at the start of Act Two, hopefully making it clearer that the player must now explore the whole dimension.
  • Fixed a minor alignment error in the Ghost Ship.
  • Added a way to re-explore Act One areas from Act Three, via the room "Green Dudes CAN Flip!"
  • So as not to overplay the track, the powerful "Predestined Fate" remix kicks in later, specifically after using the warp token in "Voodoo Child".  This replaces "Dimensional Projector" as the point of no return.
Quote from: Weird Shadow Machine on April 12, 2015, 07:03:25 AM
In "Viridian Killed the Radio Star" there's an "alternative" checkpoint.  Don't save at this point!
This still stands, however.  I really don't want to sacrifice the weird checkpoint.

The Snikle Force

Great level! 4.5/5! This is my first review so it might not be as intricate as some of my later ones but here goes!  It was a fun level, especially the dimension of the ancients. The metaspace part was fun too, but a little confusing. This is partially due to the emotion sensor room, which took me a ton of tries to figure out.  The room design/aesthetics was cool, particularly in the Dimension of the Ancients. And all those grey tiles in metaspace must've taken a long time to make, using only direct mode. It wasn't too hard, either.

PS: How did you get those quick-to-disappear tiles that were used in , [II], and so on? I know it's direct mode, but which tile?

Bruce Michez

Quote from: The Snikle Force on April 19, 2015, 09:25:50 PM
Great level! 4.5/5! This is my first review so it might not be as intricate as some of my later ones but here goes!  It was a fun level, especially the dimension of the ancients. The metaspace part was fun too, but a little confusing. This is partially due to the emotion sensor room, which took me a ton of tries to figure out.  The room design/aesthetics was cool, particularly in the Dimension of the Ancients. And all those grey tiles in metaspace must've taken a long time to make, using only direct mode. It wasn't too hard, either.

PS: How did you get those quick-to-disappear tiles that were used in [ I], [II], and so on? I know it's direct mode, but which tile?
Thank you!  Actually, a little way into making this level I discovered a way to draw quickly with the grey warp zone tileset.  Basically, the tile numbers are the same as one of the colours of the Space Station (used for the Ghost Ship in this level), which uses a completely different set of graphics.  So you can draw the room with the Space Station tileset, change the room's colour to blue with thick diagonal stripes, turn direct mode on, and change the tileset to one of the others.  Et voilĂ .

For the record, the plain black background is tile #705 (non-space station tileset only), and the fast-crumbling blocks are tile #10.

i don't use this site anymore, please don't look at my posts

Bruce Michez

i don't use this site anymore, please don't look at my posts

I hope there will be one.

[III]. The amazing 'three-quel'.  :D

ZeNewDragon

To be honest, I don't really think this level needs a sequel. The story and dialogue is all good and the design is concise and totally fair. It's one of the best experiences I've had with a player level and it's leaps and bounds an improvement over [/]. A sequel probably wouldn't be able to live up to it.

SJMistery

never underestimate one of our best level creators!

VeeC7

Nice level, the metaspace was cool,
Tip: To make your level better, I recommend that you use internal scripting,

ZeNewDragon

Quote from: VVVVVVCrewmate7 on October 24, 2015, 01:52:04 AM
Tip: To make your level better, I recommend that you use internal scripting,

No. This really has zero need whatsoever for internal scripting.