QQQQQQ/3V (Previously CoD4 VVVVVV)

Started by CooL, March 29, 2010, 01:44:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CooL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jUaZyb7YF4

Still a WIP, going to make some new puzzles, and if it's possible, get a working flip system going.  Tell me what you think!  :viridian:

Robson

Very cool! Looking forward to seeing more from this :viridian:

Terry

Heh, this is looking pretty nifty. :)

Shasharala

cymon

Just my 2 cents, but since this is a 3D VVVVVV wouldn't that mean that you can flip more than up/down at will?

Maybe that's a bad idea.

CooL

Yes, it does open up a new aspect of gameplay, but you do not flip side to side.  This ends the whole conflict of flipping in more than one plane. 

Shasharala

How is the "upmake" going CooL?

CooL

Hey Hey.

Development is going pretty good, I got 2 people helping me on this project, another mapper/coder and a modeler.  So far I have a working flip system, monsters (text and non-text), and a working bounce beam script!  I should have another video up showing my progress shortly.  At the moment, I'm still drawing up the maps on my whiteboard, and I'm about to create them in Radiant, and I'm working on the textures, which are going to be different from VVVVVV, but they will have the same style. 

Anyways, I also recently got permission by SoulEye to use one of his songs in the mod, it's Embrace, which is a beautiful song and should fit into the mod quite brilliantly.  I'll keep you guys posted :P

Edit:  Oh, forgot to add that I have moving platforms implemented and I'm still in the process in making a sfx for the dissipating (or whatever it's called :D)platform .

Whirligig

When you go to the Youtube video, the first related video is RickRoll'd.  :vitellary:

Robson

Quote from: CooL on April 20, 2010, 10:14:23 PM
At the moment, I'm still drawing up the maps on my whiteboard, and I'm about to create them in Radiant

We should design a little campaign together, than create it in both this and YYYYYY :viridian:

CooL

Another quick update!  I've decided that I don't want to do this as a mod for CoD4, it may be a pretty engine, but I'm way to limited, SO I've decided to switch to a modified version of the Quake 3 engine called OpenArena.  This will be easier for me in the terms of not being dependent on Call of Duty 4 and the fact that this is freeware, thus making it easier to distribute.  I'm not losing any work seeing as how CoD4 uses the q3 engine, so all I need to do is port over what I have so far  :viridian:.  There still will not be any weapons in this game, and I do plan on making this game MUCH longer and larger than I had hoped before.

Quote from: Robson on April 21, 2010, 12:02:40 PM
Quote from: CooL on April 20, 2010, 10:14:23 PM
At the moment, I'm still drawing up the maps on my whiteboard, and I'm about to create them in Radiant

We should design a little campaign together, than create it in both this and YYYYYY :viridian:

:viridian: I'm all up for that!  Send me a PM of a way to contact you and then we can start working on a campaign :vermillion:

Shasharala

Yay!  I'm so glad it will be playable as freeware now.  :viridian:
I'm getting pretty excited.  It looks like it's gonna be amazing.

CooL

Small update, things are going slow as I'm still learning the new radiant I'm using, but not to fear, the current map is going fabulously  :viridian:

We are still working on some of the programming, we're coming close to making a working flip system, but if there is anyone out there that has experience with Quake 3, we'd love to have you help us beat this :P

Music:  At the moment, we got Souleyes amazing song, and I'm getting one of my friends to make us an 8-bit song that should fit the mod perfectly.

Levels:  I'll be showing the first map, which takes place in our version of the labs, next week, so stay tuned!

Shasharala

CooL

Arg, yeah, I've been away for too long.

Update:
So far, we haven't come close to have implemented a working flip system, we're hoping to run into someone who has enough experience with the engine to give us a helping hand, and I was thinking about opening up all planes for the player to flip on, so that means you'll be able to switch to the walls, as well as the ceiling, so that'll lead to some pretty fun/infuriating puzzles, yet the controls might take some getting used to, but that'll all be taken care of in the Training level.

The concept for all the maps/puzzles have been completed.

All the custom textures have been finished, some are 8-bit, some are just standard textures that CoD and Quake give us.

We have two new puzzle types, such as the gravity beam, implemented, but those shall remain a secret until we release this.

As for what engine I'm using, I'm debating whether to go back to CoD4, and have it out much quicker, or to keep using OpenArena so I can release this as freeware.  Sticking with CoD4 would mean I would have to work within my limitations of the engine, but if I take my time and learn OpenArena, I'll be able to provide a better game, but the wait will be pretty long.  Another option would be the CoD1 engine, which I have a lot more experience with, but it would mean I would have to start from scratch, the CoD1 engine would probably be my best bet, but I don't want to resort to using it just yet.  What do you guys think?  :viridian: