Spike-counting contest

Started by SoulEye, May 10, 2010, 11:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoulEye

Actually Robson, I'd allow that entry if you did it (those maps could be posted in the wiki!). I have a huge sense of humor about this competetition. :)

James

Uh oh, I have a confession. Two actually.

I was just about to add my spike count data to the VVVVVV wiki when I noticed an obvious error in my data. Somehow I counted the "tower end row" spikes twice when I added my numbers up. Oops. That's my first confession.

My second confession is this: I counted every area in-game except for the tower. The tower scrolls, so I couldn't count manually. Instead I used the level map created by Kyledog found elsewhere in this forum. I've just realized (after seeing my numbers disagree with Robson's program's count for the tower) that this map is not using version 1.2, and so it has 13 fewer spikes than the current version does. Oops.

So the correct count, according to me should be [removed]. Strangely, SoulEye got the same number I did because he made the same mistake I did.

So for screwing this up so badly, I've paid my penalty by finally doing what I should have done all along and manually counting the tower. I get the same number as Robson this time.

-James

SoulEye

Oh James, you now broke hint/rule #1! You have been disqualified! You must now delete the song... ;)

Shasharala

Hahaha!  You're such a laugh SoulEye.  :viridian:
That is a pretty funny predicament it appears you and James have both become a part of.

SoulEye

:o I'm deleting it right now!

Shasharala

:vitellary:
The music creator is destroying his own piece of art.

James

I've deleted it from my computer. I'll start trying to delete it from my brain too.  :D

All joking aside though, I edited my previous post to remove all final counts. The count is available at the VVVVVV Wiki now, but I won't mention the total here again in case someone else wants to try. I don't want to spoil anyone's fun.

Shasharala

Haha, cool.  I already forgot the number.  Maybe I will do it in my freetime.  :D
What a way to spend freetime, eh?  Counting spikes to sound cool.

James

Oh, by the way, I counted all the checkpoints too. Does anyone care to count, or even guess, how many there are?

Shasharala

Hmm... again, when I'm not working on things I'd love to try my hand at counting checkpoints.  Hopefully some others will give it a try, because truthfully, I may never get to it.  :victoria:

SoulEye

That sounds like a new competition! How about I send a different, shorter tune to those who guess that one right? Incase spike counting was just TOO MUCH, you know? :)

SoulEye

Quote from: Mushyrulez on June 05, 2010, 01:31:05 AM
Hmm, can't find it among your hints though  :victoria:

I should have hinted more to the fact that the margin of error was, uhm, quite big.

Bythos

How did the vviki get the correct number of spikes? Did they use some kind of bot or something?

Mushyrulez

James

Quote from: Bythos on June 15, 2010, 09:13:56 PM
How did the vviki get the correct number of spikes? Did they use some kind of bot or something?

The wiki uses the data from my manual spike count.