Doing Things The Hard Way

Started by techknight, January 11, 2010, 05:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueSkies

I gave up on this today. I really didn't want to, because it's not exactly close to a teleporter. That knowledge makes you want to try and try again, before you slink off with your tail between your legs. That room name about Bitter Tears on the way back up seemed so apt  >:(

The level design has been spot on. Love the game.

StephenM3

You can always come back and try later; sometimes hard challenges like this get more difficult as frustration starts to set in; you can't react as quickly when you've been attempting the same thing for hours.  I bet if you play around with other VVVVVV things for a bit, DTTHW will be significantly easier when you return.

Buttons

Quote from: StephenM3 on January 12, 2010, 07:32:40 PM
You can always come back and try later; sometimes hard challenges like this get more difficult as frustration starts to set in; you can't react as quickly when you've been attempting the same thing for hours.  I bet if you play around with other VVVVVV things for a bit, DTTHW will be significantly easier when you return.
Definitely. My first run through DTTHW took around 200 deaths, but the screenshot I posted a little while ago was done in under 20. Vici-Vidi-Veni on the way down is a piece of cake, after you've done it once.

Shasharala

Now someone should stand on the block with the flip play mode enabled. =D
Woowoo!  Gotta relearn Doing Things the Hard Way backwards.

sergio

I died here twice before succeeding.  :'(

eyf

Quote from: Shasharala on January 13, 2010, 10:50:21 AM
Now someone should stand on the block with the flip play mode enabled. =D
Woowoo!  Gotta relearn Doing Things the Hard Way backwards.

That was surprisingly hard. Although the keypresses are exactly the same (because left-right isn't flipped), the flip mode totally threw off my timing and I practically had to relearn it.

Socob

Quote from: sergio on January 13, 2010, 11:52:51 AMI died here twice before succeeding.  :'(
I did three times. I'm glad I'm not the only one, though.

fishyjoes

I had so much fun hating DTTW way. When i first got there i just had to beat it. It took me more than an hour or maybe two. I dont know. We you play this game time just runs by like nothing!

Ps: Which room is "I'm sorry"? o.O

Yelnats

It took me two 30 minutes practice sessions to beat DTTHW my first time.  (I hit the spikes on the right wall at the end once before my first good run).

Now it only takes me a few tries to beat.  I've even done it it twice in a row!

How do you do "getting there is half the fun?"  I come up the left side and return on the left side.

TeamQuiggan

I loop around at the half way, less zig zags that way.

It took me 40min-1hour in two sessions to finally beat that room!
I hit the spikes on the right wall once. The second time I got there I succeeded.

ZekeSulastin

Quote from: sergio on January 13, 2010, 11:52:51 AM
I died here twice before succeeding.  :'(

Yeah... good thing I'm on a laptop else I'd have probably snapped my keyboard after hitting those spikes :victoria:

*edit* BAHAHAHAHAH VICTORY IS MINE :vermillion:*/edit*

VAgentZero

So I had 1025-ish deaths when i had 19/20 trinkets.  Now on the order of 1700.   :victoria:

That said... vvvvvvictory is mine as well.  I went about 15 minutes over on my lunch break to do it, too...  kinda feel guilty.

Kinda.

Mercen4ry

It's not so bad once you have the muscle memory down.

My first time, though? 97 deaths. ;)