Doing Things The Hard Way

Started by techknight, January 11, 2010, 05:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shasharala

Quote from: eyf on January 13, 2010, 12:55:38 PM
Quote from: Shasharala on January 13, 2010, 10:50:21 AM
Now someone should stand on the block with the flip play mode enabled. =D
Woowoo!  Gotta relearn Doing Things the Hard Way backwards.

That was surprisingly hard. Although the keypresses are exactly the same (because left-right isn't flipped), the flip mode totally threw off my timing and I practically had to relearn it.

Well done sir!  I am in awe!
You have my utter congartulations!  :viridian:

SoulEye

If your screen supports it, you can flip the graphics, then flip the keyboard, and play normally :P

Shasharala

Hmmm...
An interesting idea...  :o

Josiah Tobin

It's pretty much my own damn fault, but this (series of) room(s) is severely hindering my enjoyment of the game. I know it's optional, I know I could just unlock things in the menu if I wanted to, but I still have the irresistible compulsion to get every "optional" thing on the first playthrough. I started playing the game a day or two after it was released and I still haven't gotten past my second level because of this damn trinket.

It's totally stubborn and absurd but I just can't even let myself continue without getting this, and it still has me totally stumped. I took a break for a couple weeks, just tried again now, died another 300 times, and gave up. I may never finish this game at this rate. :verdigris:

(Well no, I'll probably just cave and unlock invincibility after my 5,000th death in this same spot)

~Josiah

Yelnats

Make sure that you run the game in windowed mode so it is more responsive.

I actually find DTTHW to be one of the easier rooms in the game now, because I don't have to time anything to moving enemies or platforms or walkways.  It took me an hour of practice to beat the first time, and I wasn't sure that I was going to be able to beat it.  I played around in DTTHW a few minutes today, and way able to do it 4 times in a row. 

On the other hand, I've attempted the first time trial, and I've given up on getting any time trial trophies. :victoria:

Another thing...  You can skip the trinket and still come back and get it on your first playthrough.

Josiah Tobin

Quote from: Yelnats on January 25, 2010, 03:57:33 AM
Make sure that you run the game in windowed mode so it is more responsive.
Aha! Good call. I'm having verrrry minor response issues/slipperyness so that may help a lot. Will try it soon!

~Josiah

angelday

Ok, this is me doing things the hard way. I just happened to record my attempt. What are the chances?

:-*

http://vimeo.com/9184003

Nekonaru

Britpunk

My captcha for registering was GRRCRY, which is very apt considering the 200+ lives i've just lost trying to do this bit. Still not there yet, but inching closer and closer... Also found Prize for the Reckless joyously frustrating. 'I'm sorry' I found to be really simple in comparison, just a case of nailing the 'racing line'.

One of the things I've found amusing reading some of the reviews are those people who are paid to play and write about games suggesting that it on occasion isn't fair. On the contrary, it's perfectly fair. Frustrating as hell at times...in a good way, but when I screw up, it's my fault, not the game.

I've got one rescue to go. Can anybody let me know whether I can do that rescue then come back to DTTHY, or would I need to do a full playthrough again?

The Brass

After finishing the game, you can select Continue to go get any trinkets you missed. So yes, it's ok for you to do the last rescue now.

harrymason