Author Topic: Why must I playtest levels?  (Read 1707 times)

VeeC7

• Captain
  • VVVVVVCrewmate7 -> VeeC7
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Account (Domino videos)
Why must I playtest levels?
« on: August 24, 2015, 08:26:41 am »
I'm making a level, and I want to post it on Distractionware, Should I playtest first to check for any misalignments and glitches?

That Souleye Crewmate

• Captain
  • Finally changed this old avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Why must I playtest levels?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 03:16:20 pm »
YES. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PLAYTEST LEVELS.

shape worrior t

• Professor
  • Fan of Nintendo, VVVVVV, and other things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 03:29:59 pm »
^
Testing is crucial to making a good level.
You don't know when something's too hard, or too easy, or simply not working. And even if you check for the former two, the latter is also super important to check. Glitches can happen any time, so, as soon as you change a script or a room in a major way, test. Test. Test.
Misalignments are usually easy to catch, so you only need to test the alignments when you're not sure about it. Still though, testing for misalignments is still a good idea. Meanwhile, again, glitches can happen at any time, so test every layout at least once.
Testing is one of the most important parts of building a good level.

That Souleye Crewmate

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 03:33:36 pm »
Make sure you check a bunch of times before you set the level out. For example - i playtested my level, "Forum Adventure" and i didn't notice the many issues with it.

Lollipop

• Captain
  • fornite funnys
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 09:28:08 pm »
or else you'll overwork SJmistery

allison

• Captain
  • monolithic since 2012??
    • View Profile
    • Allison Fleischer
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 01:05:03 am »
ABSOLUTELY playtest. Many times. Not just for glitches, but to make sure the level is actually fun to play. I even playtest individual rooms many times while making them in order to be sure they are fun, and I gather most other level creators do the same.

That Souleye Crewmate

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 07:06:22 am »
or else you'll overwork SJmistery
Basicaly. SJ comments so much on every level i kinda feel bad for him sometimes  :vitellary:

Info Teddy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 05:15:13 am »
to add on to this, you should also get other people to playtest your levels, as well. especially people with different OSes.

crazya's unshackled crashed for me because the entity count was lower on linux (my os), even though he playtested very extensively (i think). learning from his example, i got others to playtest my contest level for alexia's discord (tempel van hond) even though there was this mumbo jumbo about don't do it and doing it would be revealing my level's phrase or whatever

that didn't really matter though, i still got others to playtest my contest level before i submitted it. and it turns out there was a crash on windows that i didn't get because i'm on linux, involving not passing meta args to createentity. this crash meant that you couldn't complete the level properly

the moral of the story is get others to playtest for you even if there are bullshit rules saying you shouldn't