My VVVVVV demake!

Started by arcticwolf15, November 06, 2010, 04:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arcticwolf15

Quote from: The Brass on December 07, 2010, 06:48:22 AM
Impressive. Any chance we could get to see that in action?

I'll upload the new version when I figure out how to clean up motion. Right now, there's a problem. What happens is that pressing left or right interrupts the vertical movement, so you'll just be floating. I think switching to a different command might help. I'll work on that. There is also a problem with sprites that needs fixing.

Edit: Uploading! See front page.

Whirligig

There's a bit of a problem with the arrow keys if you hold down both at once. I would suggest either a) adding key tests in the key release events (they're in Control I think) or b) changing the key press events to key hold down events, removing the key release events, and instead of setting the speed, directly modifying the position.

If you press left/right while Viridian's head is pointing down, his sprite flips over, but the gravity doesn't. Check when you set the sprite he uses to make sure it's the right one.

Also, once this is finished, it shouldn't be hard for me to make a Mac port, if that's fine with you.

arcticwolf15

Quote from: Whirligig on December 08, 2010, 10:11:23 PM
There's a bit of a problem with the arrow keys if you hold down both at once. I would suggest either a) adding key tests in the key release events (they're in Control I think) or b) changing the key press events to key hold down events, removing the key release events, and instead of setting the speed, directly modifying the position.

If you press left/right while Viridian's head is pointing down, his sprite flips over, but the gravity doesn't. Check when you set the sprite he uses to make sure it's the right one.

Also, once this is finished, it shouldn't be hard for me to make a Mac port, if that's fine with you.

I am well aware of these. I have homework right now, so please be patient.

Keys: Will fix
Sprite: I can't find check sprite
Keys modifying position: Not sure about that
Mac port: Sounds good. Only thing is that you would constantly need to do this as the game has more content added.

Whirligig

Check sprite isn't an action. I meant that you should open your change/set sprite actions and check to make sure you're using the right one.

arcticwolf15

Quote from: Whirligig on December 10, 2010, 01:58:09 AM
Check sprite isn't an action. I meant that you should open your change/set sprite actions and check to make sure you're using the right one.

I'm actually using one currently. I just decided to give a little update. I was originally going to use variables to determine the sprite. The only problem is that... variables hate me. :victoria:

Whirligig

I'd be glad to help you with variables if you tell me what problems you're having.

arcticwolf15

Quote from: Whirligig on December 10, 2010, 10:01:02 PM
I'd be glad to help you with variables if you tell me what problems you're having.

Every time I try to implement something with variables, the game crashes.

Whirligig

How does it crash? Is there an error? If so, what does it say?

arcticwolf15

Quote from: Whirligig on December 11, 2010, 01:09:54 AM
How does it crash? Is there an error? If so, what does it say?

There's an error saying it doesn't recognize the variable. The strange this is that it says that it can't recognize the value.

Whirligig

That sounds strange. My best guess is that you're trying to set it to a word like "left" and getting an error that "left" isn't recognized. If so, you need to put quotes around text if you want to set something to it. If you could copy and paste the error message, that would probably help me.

Also, if you join this forum, you can get help from more people than just me: http://gmc.yoyogames.com/

arcticwolf15

Quote from: Whirligig on December 11, 2010, 03:29:31 PM
That sounds strange. My best guess is that you're trying to set it to a word like "left" and getting an error that "left" isn't recognized. If so, you need to put quotes around text if you want to set something to it. If you could copy and paste the error message, that would probably help me.

Also, if you join this forum, you can get help from more people than just me: http://gmc.yoyogames.com/

Sounds easy enough. I'll try it and report back.

Report: No dice. I have an object that sets the variable (no error or anything there), but when the character tests it, it says it doesn't recognize the variable.
for object player:

Error in expression:global.direction
position 8: Unknown variable direction

arcticwolf15

The Brass

Nice!  :viridian: :viridian:

Now if only I didn't suck at the gravitron... looking at the .inis, it looks like you've got a lot of secret new stuff. Or are those for further versions? I guess so, as even my highscores aren't saving.

The background did turn out great indeed.  But the planets might look nicer if they were in different layers now that I look at it... or if they were the slowest layer, but still on top.

arcticwolf15

Quote from: The Brass on January 18, 2011, 05:10:58 AM
Nice!  :viridian: :viridian:

Now if only I didn't suck at the gravitron... looking at the .inis, it looks like you've got a lot of secret new stuff. Or are those for further versions? I guess so, as even my highscores aren't saving.

The background did turn out great indeed.  But the planets might look nicer if they were in different layers now that I look at it... or if they were the slowest layer, but still on top.

The .ini files are for future updates, which I plan to add. Much of the stuff on the .ini storing trinkets will be shop-based stuff for powerups in game. I do think the planets turned out weird though, especially since they appear over and over and over again. Perhaps I'll figure that out.

The Brass

The play online version on YoYo games is the old one, btw. You should change that.