Overworld Help

Started by Funny Topical Meme, April 05, 2016, 06:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viridan

Quote from: VVVVVViridian on April 11, 2016, 08:38:00 AM
Quote from: SJMistery on April 10, 2016, 08:22:34 PM
the easiest way to see what i mean: there is a featured level called "Seasons". play it while invincible, and go left from the start. you will see what i mean by "worst case scenario" on a misalignement.

VVVVVV SAYS THAT INVINCIBILITY MAY CAUSE GLITCHES! *Facepalm*
point is, if you enter a room and the entrance is blocked off, you'll float upwards through the blocks, usually resulting in some heavy sequence breaking. in "seasons" you infinitely float upwards and there is no way to exit whatsoever

Funny Topical Meme

Quote from: StillSpelledViridan on April 11, 2016, 07:36:12 PM
the easiest way to see what i mean: there is a featured level called "Seasons". play it while invincible, and go left from the start. you will see what i mean by "worst case scenario" on a misalignement.

point is, if you enter a room and the entrance is blocked off, you'll float upwards through the blocks, usually resulting in some heavy sequence breaking. in "seasons" you infinitely float upwards and there is no way to exit whatsoever

*ahem* Press R.

Viridan

Quote from: VVVVVViridian on April 11, 2016, 08:01:18 PM

*ahem* Press R.
it really doesn't take that much work just to make sure a floor in one area is as high in the areas right next to it, or that there aren't any walls top close to the entrances. the example in "seasons" was just a hypothetical scenario that could have been much, much worse if you could actually get to the border of the level without turning invincibility on.
just don't be lazy

Funny Topical Meme

Quote from: StillSpelledViridan on April 11, 2016, 10:27:22 PM

*ahem* Press R.
it really doesn't take that much work just to make sure a floor in one area is as high in the areas right next to it, or that there aren't any walls top close to the entrances. the example in "seasons" was just a hypothetical scenario that could have been much, much worse if you could actually get to the border of the level without turning invincibility on.
just don't be lazy

Well, at LEAST give an example in my level that isn't 'The 'overworld''.

Viridan

Quote from: VVVVVViridian on April 12, 2016, 09:16:24 AM
Quote from: StillSpelledViridan on April 11, 2016, 10:27:22 PM

*ahem* Press R.
just don't be lazy

Well, at LEAST give an example in my level that isn't 'The 'overworld''.
the only tile misalignments i'm seeing so far are in most of the 4-side warp rooms (quite minor but still unimpressive), and there are a few spike misalignments that instantly kill you once you walk into the room. for example, the floor and ceiling between Pushed off to Sea and the "button2" room

there's also a gravity line misalignment between Rainbow Road and Bounce Bounce Evolution

SJMistery

*ahem* Press R.

Okay, you started, not gonna be polite anymore:
1)  it is just a damn example! And invincibility all it does is let you see it. removing the spikes on the level editor would have the same exact effect.
2) i am not specific because it applies to EVERY FREAKING ROOM in your level.
3) on 3ds you cannot suicide, but that's irrelevant as if you don't become much more educate we will never stuff it into the 3ds version

Funny Topical Meme

Quote from: SJMistery on April 12, 2016, 04:45:33 PM

*ahem* Press R.

1)  it is just a damn example! And invincibility all it does is let you see it. removing the spikes on the level editor would have the same exact effect.
3) on 3ds you cannot suicide, but that's irrelevant as if you don't become much more educate we will never stuff it into the 3ds version

1)I'm just stating ways to fix the problem.
2)...Really? Honestly? EVEN ROOMS WHERE THE ONLY WAY IN IS VIA A FREAKING WARP TOKEN???
3)It's not my fault for not having VVVVVV ON A 3DS! I don't even have a 3ds.

So, in all honesty, it's your problem, not mine.

Viridan

Quote from: VVVVVViridian on April 12, 2016, 04:59:00 PM

*ahem* Press R.

2)...Really? Honestly? EVEN ROOMS WHERE THE ONLY WAY IN IS VIA A FREAKING WARP TOKEN???

1) through complete ignorance? if i were you, i would want to be able to get through the entire thing without ever being forced into dying soley because the creator couldn't be bothered to give a shit
2) yes. every single room that has walls and an open border can be prone to misalignment, which can cause you to glitch through the floor, which can cause you to go to rooms you shouldn't be at yet, which can cause the player to completely break your level
3) let's say, through some incredible miracle, that your level is good enough for terry to feature it as a default level, thus allowing people on other consoles to play it! unforunately, due to the massive amount of misalignments, people are able to get stuck and, since there is no R button, they have to exit the level and go back into it. really breaks the immersion, doesn't it? and, again, this all could have been fixed if you had actually given a shit.

SJMistery

or to simply be good enough for us to put it on the game, as the comunity recently discovered a way to modify the 3ds featured player levels

Funny Topical Meme

Stop being rude. after all, it's an UNFINISHED LEVEL.
:-X

Funny Topical Meme

Quote from: StillSpelledViridan on April 12, 2016, 05:20:20 PM
Quote from: VVVVVViridian on April 12, 2016, 04:59:00 PM

*ahem* Press R.

1) through complete ignorance? if i were you, i would want to be able to get through the entire thing without ever being forced into dying soley because the creator couldn't be bothered to give a shit
2) yes. every single room that has walls and an open border can be prone to misalignment, which can cause you to glitch through the floor, which can cause you to go to rooms you shouldn't be at yet, which can cause the player to completely break your level
3) let's say, through some incredible miracle, that your level is good enough for terry to feature it as a default level, thus allowing people on other consoles to play it! unforunately, due to the massive amount of misalignments, people are able to get stuck and, since there is no R button, they have to exit the level and go back into it. really breaks the immersion, doesn't it? and, again, this all could have been fixed if you had actually given a shit.

Maybe i should just wall every freaking room off, not allowing you to get past the first room.

Or maybe you should pay attention to the FACT THAT I STATED THAT THE OVERWORLD WASN'T MADE-

Anyways, calming down...

1) Ah shit, you will probably HATE the room 'All Death Mode'.
2) The overworld hasn't been made.
3) I wouldn't want Terry to feature it, and it would NEVER be able to be featured anyways. He would have featured something like 'Dimension Open' or 'Back to VVVVVV' instead. Also, I DIDN'T KNOW THAT! I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THAT VVVVVV WAS ON THINGS OTHER THAN THE COMPUTER!!!

(sHHHH ME, CALM DOWN, ME.)

allison

Of course we know it's unfinished. That makes this a perfect time to bring up any issues before the actual release. People are starting to get rude not because they wish to judge it harshly and discard its unfinished status, but rather because you got defensive and attempted to justify the mismatch (which results in unintended sequence breaking and is generally considered an objective flaw, albeit a relatively small one). Eventually, things escalated into an argument.

Fixing mismatches is a simple and easy thing to do that'll make the level seem a lot more professional and playable. In situations like these it's generally better to make the adjustment rather than making yourself look bad in repeated knee-jerk responses.

Funny Topical Meme

Quote from: crazya02 on April 13, 2016, 04:34:50 AM
Of course we know it's unfinished. That makes this a perfect time to bring up any issues before the actual release. People are starting to get rude not because they wish to judge it harshly and discard its unfinished status, but rather because you got defensive and attempted to justify the mismatch (which results in unintended sequence breaking and is generally considered an objective flaw, albeit a relatively small one). Eventually, things escalated into an argument.

Fixing mismatches is a simple and easy thing to do that'll make the level seem a lot more professional and playable. In situations like these it's generally better to make the adjustment rather than making yourself look bad in repeated knee-jerk responses.

I did fix a few mismatches, but not having an overworld is not a mismatch, it's just not having the overworld.
Anyways, thanks for being polite.

To the other people in this argument(not crazya02)
Please point out rooms that have mismatches, not saying that EVERY room has a mismatch because I have no overworld.

Viridan

i never said every room had misalignments, i was just pointing out how important it was to check for them

Funny Topical Meme

Quote from: StillSpelledViridan on April 13, 2016, 03:35:12 PM
i never said every room had misalignments, i was just pointing out how important it was to check for them
Oops, sorry, I misread.
:-[