Author Topic: Custom Level Script Patcher  (Read 2088 times)

HackerCow

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
Custom Level Script Patcher
« on: April 11, 2016, 05:51:11 pm »
If you're often annoyed with the lacking capabilities of the ingame script editor, I have just the right thing for you.
This small program takes a directory full of .txt files and puts them into a custom level as scripts.

The interface is simple enough:

Usage:
First of all, make sure you put all your script files into a single directory. Create a .txt file for each script, using the naming scheme scriptname.txt. scriptname is the name of the script as displayed in game.
Then, choose your level file and the directory containing all your scripts using the appropriate buttons.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you have a backup copy of every level you patch with this tool! It shouldn't be able to destroy anything in theory, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Also, this erases all scripts that already exist within the file.

Download
Finally, here's a download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1DcABTic8orYmdVVkxQWGJ6VGM

Bugs
Please let me know if you find any bugs in this tool!

Dav999

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • The Open Level Project
Re: Custom Level Script Patcher
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 07:26:20 pm »
I've been testing around a bit with this, and for all level files I've been trying this tool on, it gives the error message "The level file you provided is not a valid version 2 VVVVVV level file.". That happens with both levels made with VVVVVV 2.2, VVVVVV 2.0 and Ved.

Also, it's probably a false positive, but: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/a646b5df45eef2ada87367bf76f237aad80c032c79cb2047b70c489d71939c11/analysis/1460398274/

Otherwise, this seems like it may be a pretty useful tool for some people, if you want to be able to select text with your mouse and make scripts in editors like Notepad++. (Though, I mentioned Ved, it's an external level editor that has a better script editor than VVVVVV itself)

Ally 🌠

• Captain
  • <3
    • View Profile
    • Ally 🌠
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 07:29:39 pm »
Ved
(Though, I mentioned Ved, it's an external level editor that has a better script editor than VVVVVV itself)
Shameless self promotion

Dav999

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • The Open Level Project
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 07:38:04 pm »
Ved
(Though, I mentioned Ved, it's an external level editor that has a better script editor than VVVVVV itself)
Shameless self promotion
Appropriate though. Should I pretend it doesn't exist? There aren't many references to Ved on Distractionware so many people will think VVVVVV's built-in script editor is the only thing that exists.

HackerCow

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 07:40:10 pm »
it gives the error message "The level file you provided is not a valid version 2 VVVVVV level file.".

Huh, that's weird, it works for all level files I tried it with. Could you, by any chance, send me one of the level files it fails on?

Appropriate though.

True, I didn't know it existed. I'll definitely check that out!

Dav999

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • The Open Level Project
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 07:45:35 pm »
it gives the error message "The level file you provided is not a valid version 2 VVVVVV level file.".

Huh, that's weird, it works for all level files I tried it with. Could you, by any chance, send me one of the level files it fails on?
Sure, here's a level in a zip. (It's a blank level made in VVVVVV 2.2)

HackerCow

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 07:59:05 pm »
Ah, what an embarrassing mistake  :-[ Fixed it now, the download link should be updated.

shiny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the MOTHER3 world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 10:29:58 pm »
Ved
Shameless self promotion
who cares
ved is love
and ved is life