SPIKELAND - My First Level!

Started by Kevinmonitor, April 29, 2016, 05:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevinmonitor

I've made a v2.1 patch for the level from SJMistery's v2.0 patch! Check it in the original post. :viridian:

By the way, I feel kinda stupid and embarrassed asking this, but...

What exactly are spike misalignments?

I assumed they were related to spikes placed at the edge of the room, but I want a correct 100% explanation, so I won't make the same mistakes in my next levels! Screenshots of the "misalignments" would be helpful too!

(I think I'll look like an idiot asking this  :victoria:)

QwertymanO07

It's when there are spikes at the edge of a room.

Viridan

Quote from: Kevinmonitor on May 01, 2016, 10:56:06 AM
I've made a v2.1 patch for the level from SJMistery's v2.0 patch! Check it in the original post. :viridian:

By the way, I feel kinda stupid and embarrassed asking this, but...

What exactly are spike misalignments?

I assumed they were related to spikes placed at the edge of the room, but I want a correct 100% explanation, so I won't make the same mistakes in my next levels! Screenshots of the "misalignments" would be helpful too!

(I think I'll look like an idiot asking this  :victoria:)
it's when walking into a room instantly kills you due to an unseen spike. for example:

seems innocent enough, right? just the entrance to a space station. however, walking to the next screen results in this:

in this scenario, a proper way to fix this would be putting spikes on the edge of the floor in the first room, so that players are actually aware of the spikes in the next room and will stay off of the floor. some related mistakes are enemy misalignment, where an enemy is placed on the border; wall misalignment, which can cause some serious sequence breaking; backing misalignment, which does not actually have an effect on the level but can look ugly in some cases; and putting a checkpoint in the way of an enemy, which also forces death.

SJMistery

Quote from: Lollipop on April 30, 2016, 06:31:34 PM
yeah SJMistery where's the dragonite
now that you say that, i am wondering the exact same thing, i guess my profile got reset somehow. About the bugfix, I usually do the fixes myself because in my land we have a saying "si vols anar ben servit, fes-te tu mateix el llit", translated to "want a good job? do it yourself". Crityzise is easy, making levels, not so much, as my creator's block on my intended rehashes of "Abducted once more" and "Zanny Protocol Two" demonstrate.

PD seems that when you used the external editor you disabled the direct mode... This has undone some of my changes, fortunately seems i forgot to put the one-way tiles on the trinket i added; so all the affected rooms just lost just visual improvements and the level is still perfectly playable.

Kevinmonitor

where are the one way tiles?

I can't find them anywhere.

moth 🦋

....in the MIDDLE of each tileset
that little filling in part

Kevinmonitor

But how do I place them in Ved?

(Sorry for being an idiot)

There should really be a detailed tutorial of Ved, I'm getting through myself but I need help at some places.
Damn Shiny you're right, this thing is gorgeous. Still learning scripting, it's pretty complicated but I'll make it.

For now I'm just gonna test the waters with it, I don't think I'm ready to make serious levels with it yet.

so do you guys want me to make a hard mode of this or what

allison

Set the Mode to Manual under Room Options, then hit "Show All" under the tileset display to select a tile and use the Wall tool to place it.

Lollipop

SJMistery

Quote from: Kevinmonitor on May 02, 2016, 12:14:53 AM
where are the one way tiles?

I can't find them anywhere.
they were supposed to be on the room that leads to the trinket i added, to prevent cheating. I say it's fortunately i forgot to put them because if you disable Direct Mode (pressing f10 on the room or using the external editor on any room) they turn into spikes, turning the section unplayable. so yeah, good thing i forgot about it

Dav999

Quote from: SJMistery on May 02, 2016, 06:24:33 PM
I say it's fortunately i forgot to put them because if you disable Direct Mode (pressing f10 on the room or using the external editor on any room) they turn into spikes, turning the section unplayable.
The only editor that doesn't support direct mode is VVVVVV 2.0.

Kevinmonitor

What does Direct Mode do anyway

I turned it off the first time I used the editor but now I leave it on because everyone does that

moth 🦋

direct mode lets you choose which tiles to specifically use when you hit CRTL. choose tiles with the arrow keys. However, it is sort of buggy, and it sometimes switches to this odd mode where it makes you delete everything you hover over without holding the delete key. It's better to use Ved for this. Just set the mode to MANUAL. There will be a little tileset selector in the bottom right if you need to use that, and if you hit "Show all" then you can select the tile you want from there.

SJMistery

What glitch? Never have seen that happen before lul

moth 🦋

OMFG it happens so often its literally the worst
I'm never going back to the regular editor
its like some shitty bug with the mouse or something and its a huge pain