No Death Mode

Started by eyf, January 11, 2010, 07:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoulEye

That's "I want to be the guy". It's a frustration platformer that's way harder than VVVVVV, and a million times more punishing/evil/dishonest. Try it out only if you are a little completely masochistic and like to have fun waste your life a bit.

StephenM3

Yeah, IWTBTG is famous for the fact that 90% of its difficulty comes from the fact that it misleads the player and that most things are trying to kill you in ways that you can't predict -- so there is nothing you can do to prevent your deaths, unless you're psychic or have already played up to that exact point.  On top of that it's also a very hard platformer.

The Brass

IWBTG isn't all that different from VVVVVV. In both games, you are supposed to die before getting through a hard part. The difference is that in VVVVVV you can see the whole room and plan, while in IWBTG you need to scout the obstacles. But in both games you need to learn the part the hard way, in VVVVVV mainly due to the game's speed.

Timmaah!

I think the key difference is in that even in the insanely hard parts of VVVVVV, when you die you know it was because you made a mistake, or your timing was off, or your reflexes weren't fast enough.

When you die in IWTBTG, it's usually because a gigantic anvil suddenly appeared out of nowhere and crushed you without any kind of warning. I mean, that's the way the game was designed. It was made so that the only way to get through it is through exhaustive trial and error, and a lot of dying randomly because the rules suddenly changed. I get that is has a following of people who are really into this, but I managed to last about four screens of IWTBTG before I just got bored of acting out the creator's theatre-of-death fantasies.

Shasharala

I see.  Guess I'll try it out then.

Bythos

Quote from: Terry on January 28, 2010, 04:50:54 PM
I recorded a video of me beating the game in no death mode. Don't watch it if you don't want to spoil it on yourself!

Terry, you bastard!  :victoria:

(For those of you who want to see a no death mode victory, I managed to find a video of someone actually beating it here. It's v. low quality and looks a bit faked, but it's there)

Wobbles

I can finally beat the Gravitron without dying now :) Perhaps it's time I dusted myself off and tried this again.

Shasharala

Quote from: Bythos on June 14, 2010, 11:14:30 PM
Quote from: Terry on January 28, 2010, 04:50:54 PM
I recorded a video of me beating the game in no death mode. Don't watch it if you don't want to spoil it on yourself!

Terry, you bastard!  :victoria:

(For those of you who want to see a no death mode victory, I managed to find a video of someone actually beating it here. It's v. low quality and looks a bit faked, but it's there)

Ahahaha!  :D
That's great Bythos.  Very low quality indeed.  Faked somersaults, yes.

And Wobbles, I look forward to seeing your victory recorded.  :viridian:

Bender

Getting closer and closer.  Nerves kick in and make the Gravitron extra hard - like it isn't hard enough already.  :victoria:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UR-KFyp8hQ

SoulEye

Would it be cheating to just before entering the gravitron, take a break and play the gravitron on another computer until you feel you have it down... then go!? :)

Bender

Quote from: SoulEye on October 21, 2010, 10:15:20 PM
Would it be cheating to just before entering the gravitron, take a break and play the gravitron on another computer until you feel you have it down... then go!? :)

I've actually tried this, with only slightly better results.  I find that the main problem with the Gravitron is that the part with the blocks coming from both the left and right is random (aargh, Terry, why? :victoria:).  To me, the random left-right pattern is the single hardest Gravitron pattern - I've gone a minute in the Super Gravitron and that pattern still kills me half the time.  On the other hand, the non-random left-right pattern is easy breezy.

Point being, if the randomness goes my way I have no problem.  If it doesn't, then I get nailed almost every time.

StephenM3

ouuuuch.

Watching you display near-superhuman reflexes on the gravitron, then die to it anyway, has definitely shown me I'm never gonna beat it.  I hope you do, though!  Good luck!

The Brass

You've got it. You'll make it. We believe in you. :) :viridian:

Bender

Quote from: The Brass on October 24, 2010, 03:53:36 AM
You've got it. You'll make it. We believe in you. :) :viridian:

Thanks for the support :viridian:.  I'll keep working on it.