Dimension ABCDEF

Started by lamourieparkinson, June 15, 2016, 11:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lamourieparkinson

I made another level. This one isn't as buggy, and is called Dimension ABCDEF. Because, you know, I'm completely out of ideas. I don't know how to post screenshots, but if you saw this level you would probably like it. It's another 20x20 map, with 11 trinkets and five crewmates to find.

There are four areas:
Warp Zone
Lab
Space Station
And the Veni Vidi Vici Practice Arena.

Once again, unlike EEEEEE, Dimension ABCDEF doesn't have much error420----------YULGBIUgh0p9;jdnmpa9wey47p,ris00j9[ajma9[phnuorjs9ph73u ]is9k9]r

w80Oh

allison

Seriously, why don't you put in the small effort required to upload a level for others to enjoy?

The curiosity is killing me, it's like Sophocles' plays

Ally 🌠

SJMistery

I am sure I have seen a player level with that name before... Concretely the one made by ToasterApocalypse that was later ripped off for that hell of a video game called I wanna Be The Boshy

lamourieparkinson

Quote from: SJMistery on June 16, 2016, 09:27:28 AM
I am sure I have seen a player level with that name before... Concretely the one made by ToasterApocalypse that was later ripped off for that hell of a video game called I wanna Be The Boshy

That was Dimension ABCDEFG. My level doesn't have a G in the name, I wanted to keep it limited to six letters, like Dimension VVVVVV.

lamourieparkinson

So here's what it's about: The usual "crewmates get stranded and Viridian has to find them" thing. But there's a bonus level near the entrance to the Lab, which contains Viridian's future self, telling him that once one of his crewmates has been rescued, the dimension will automatically destabilize.

I recommend playing the areas in this order:
Laboratory
Warp Zone
Veni Vidi Vici Practice Arena
Bonus Level
Space Station
Final Area

allison

Quote from: lamourieparkinson on June 18, 2016, 08:49:02 PM
I recommend playing the areas in this order:
Laboratory
Warp Zone
Veni Vidi Vici Practice Arena
Bonus Level
Space Station
Final Area
I'm sure this would be useful information

Ally 🌠

I was already making a level on the same topic...

lamourieparkinson

Oh, and here's EEEEEE. Along with a script tutorial in level form.

Ally 🌠

I think we have enough script tutorials...

LafondaSaysMeow

Quote from: lamourieparkinson on June 19, 2016, 03:56:13 AM
Along with a script tutorial in level form.

That has already been done, multiple times.
You didn't even do IS tutorial.
(Oh wait he's new he won't know how to do that)

:o
NO say(x,color)?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!
This isn't old-school VVVVVV!

lamourieparkinson

The dialogue shouldn't matter too much. What did you think of ABCDEF, in terms of level design?

LafondaSaysMeow

Quote from: lamourieparkinson on June 19, 2016, 03:16:01 PM
What did you think of ABCDEF, in terms of level design?
Ohhhh....
REPEATING SCRIPTS GAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Here is a way to use flags on a script box, without those annoying cutscene bars afterwards.
You use two scripts. Heres what should be in them:
Code (scripta) Select
ifflag(x,nothing)
iftrinkets(0,scriptb)

Code (scriptb) Select
say(2)
This is
a one time script!
flag(x,on)

Both flag numbers must be the same.
Nothing is a script that should have... well... nothing in it.

There are also some misalignments (which are entities or blocks on the edges of walls which will touch viridian right as he enters a room).
These can be annoying, but are also at times game breaking.
And if you want the player to go to certain places at certain times, just use keycards or other flag related things.
Also, music doesn't come back at times when it is supposed to.
(Oh, and also, try to avoid DTTHW clones.  :))
This level could certainly be better, but you are getting better though! (I'll be honest, EEEEEE wasn't so good...  :()

allison

The biggest issue I noticed with Dimension ABCDEF is that the level order isn't actually enforced in-level. This can be done relatively easily with flags and destroy commands. I assumed that it was allowed to complete levels in any order, which led to me doing Space Station second and ending up stuck.

lamourieparkinson

Quote from: crazya02 on June 19, 2016, 04:11:55 PM
The biggest issue I noticed with Dimension ABCDEF is that the level order isn't actually enforced in-level. This can be done relatively easily with flags and destroy commands. I assumed that it was allowed to complete levels in any order, which led to me doing Space Station second and ending up stuck.
Okay. I'll update this level soon. BTW, that was Dimenison ABCDEF Version 1.1. 1.0 is the same, but without the bonus level.