Dimension ABCDEF

Started by lamourieparkinson, June 15, 2016, 11:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LafondaSaysMeow

Quote from: lamourieparkinson on June 19, 2016, 04:47:53 PM
Alright, here's the update. Version 1.2.
Instead of putting the downloads in a separate reply, edit the main post and put it there...
This is because people will only really download the first download they see, and without knowing there is an update in the replies will make them think the level has not been updated at all.
As well as this:

Quote from: lamourieparkinson on June 19, 2016, 05:06:23 PM
Differences between 1.1 and 1.2
- Music changes in the Lab and Warp Zone
- There is a room that has a warp that the terminal says you should not touch until you rescue four out of six crewmates
- There are added spikes on the path that leads to the lab
- On the same path, there is now a route which will take you to a part of the DTTHW Practice Arena
- The Space Station is closed off, and can only be reached when you enter the aforementioned warp.

lamourieparkinson

Quote from: crazya02 on June 19, 2016, 04:11:55 PM
I assumed that it was allowed to complete levels in any order, which led to me doing Space Station second and ending up stuck.

There must be something wrong with you. You must go there LAST. Sigh... I've updated this level, BTW. Go to the checkpoint just south of the lab (in an orange overworld room), and you will see a path to the left. It contains a room with a warp and terminal, and the terminal tells you that you're NOT ALLOWED! To take the warp until you got the other crewmates, as it leads to the Space Station area entrance. Because of this, the entrance to the area is now closed off meaning it can only be accessed by that warp token.

allison

Relying on externally defined rules to restrict player progress is honestly really inelegant, especially since it can be done in-level with script boxes and flags. Setting rules like this should be done very sparingly, if at all.

LafondaSaysMeow

It would work much better to use flag-related things.
So here is how it would work.
You rescue a crewmate, but that crewmate is covered with a script box that turns a flag on.
Then you have a blocked off area with a terminal that destroys the blocked off thing (warps, gravlines)
And the terminal only destroys the warps only if that previous flag is on.
And then you keep doing that in the order in how you want the sequence of levels to work.
Example: (from the terminal destroying the warp)
Code (scripta) Select
say(1)
You must rescue x to continue.
ifflag(x,scriptb)

Code (scriptb) Select
flash (Optional)
destroy(warptokens)

The rescue x is a specific crewmate, and the flag x is the flag you activated rescuing a crewmate.
OR you could do the same thing, but with a terminal instead of a crewmate activating the flag, which is basically how people create keycards.

People will just enter the warp out of curiosity because of how you laid out some of the terminals in other areas.
Do consider this advice, and do realize that you don't have to do this, it is just a suggestion.

Ally 🌠

Quote from: lamourieparkinson on June 19, 2016, 10:27:23 PM
There must be something wrong with you.
Good job at being a hypocrite.

lamourieparkinson

Quote from: LafondaSaysMeow on June 19, 2016, 11:01:42 PM
People will just enter the warp out of curiosity because of how you laid out some of the terminals in other areas.

I don't think you've even played the updated version.

LafondaSaysMeow

I wasn't talking about my experiences, I'm talking about other peoples experiences.
Quote from: crazya02 on June 19, 2016, 10:56:37 PM
Relying on externally defined rules to restrict player progress is honestly really inelegant, especially since it can be done in-level with script boxes and flags. Setting rules like this should be done very sparingly, if at all.
:-X
See?
But like I said, you don't have to do this, it is just a request to make the level better.
I would recommend doing it though.

lamourieparkinson

Quote from: LafondaSaysMeow on June 20, 2016, 01:06:11 AM
I wasn't talking about my experiences, I'm talking about other peoples experiences.

Yeah, but you should still download the level.

LafondaSaysMeow

You think I'm gonna waste space on putting a copy of a level on my list, when I already know everything in the update?
You even got rid of an area...
You're not even taking my advice at all.
I gave you a full-on tutorial on how to make something to make your levels a lot better, and you're not even considering it.
Now I'm gonna sit back and watch you reply to the top part of this reply.

lamourieparkinson

Quote from: LafondaSaysMeow on June 20, 2016, 10:18:53 AM
You think I'm gonna waste space on putting a copy of a level on my list, when I already know everything in the update?

The ORIGINAL version didn't have that area, and the one you downloaded is 1.1, not 1.0. You have to get 1.2 because updates.

And you don't know everything in the update. Download the new version and figure out the other new stuff by yourself. There's plenty more that I didn't tell you.

lamourieparkinson

Quote from: LafondaSaysMeow on June 19, 2016, 11:01:42 PM
It would work much better to use flag-related things.
So here is how it would work.
You rescue a crewmate, but that crewmate is covered with a script box that turns a flag on.
Then you have a blocked off area with a terminal that destroys the blocked off thing (warps, gravlines)
And the terminal only destroys the warps only if that previous flag is on.
And then you keep doing that in the order in how you want the sequence of levels to work.
Example: (from the terminal destroying the warp)
Code (scripta) Select
say(1)
You must rescue x to continue.
ifflag(x,scriptb)

Code (scriptb) Select
flash (Optional)
destroy(warptokens)

The rescue x is a specific crewmate, and the flag x is the flag you activated rescuing a crewmate.
OR you could do the same thing, but with a terminal instead of a crewmate activating the flag, which is basically how people create keycards.

You know, I don't really care about the order the people go in, but Space Station MUST be done last. I won't do the flag command for the other areas.

moth 🦋

Quote from: lamourieparkinson on June 20, 2016, 01:15:04 PM

The ORIGINAL version didn't have that area, and the one you downloaded is 1.1, not 1.0. You have to get 1.2 because updates.

And you don't know everything in the update. Download the new version and figure out the other new stuff by yourself. There's plenty more that I didn't tell you.
You only replied to the top part, like they predicted.
You're not even taking my advice at all.
I gave you a full-on tutorial on how to make something to make your levels a lot better, and you're not even considering it.
Now I'm gonna sit back and watch you reply to the top part of this reply.
Did you even read this part? This seems much more important that what you focused on.

SJMistery

OMFA.

That will require a BIIIIG bugfix update.

LafondaSaysMeow

Quote from: lamourieparkinson on June 20, 2016, 01:25:00 PM
You know, I don't really care about the order the people go in, but Space Station MUST be done last. I won't do the flag command for the other areas.
Then do it the complicated way, where you have different flags leading to each other.
Or you could have 4 flags at the start and when you rescue a crewmate they get turned off, but if one of the flags are on, then the entrance destroyer will give the error message.

Ally 🌠

OR

Make them off by default
Turn them on when you rescue a crewmate
then test for it

ifflag(69,destwarps)

destwarps:
destroy(warptokens)