loop commands

Started by lol...ipops2, June 29, 2016, 04:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lol...ipops2

I feel like this should exist
Loop(x) Would be like a repeat thing so you dont have to keep typing the same thing
example: loop(3)
flash
delay(50)
stoploop

stoploop would be a command that stops the loop.
This example here would make it flash, then wait a bit three times.
Example2: allloop(trinket)
reply(1)
Hey i found a trinket!

allloop will trigger every time you find that entity and
allloopend(x)
will end the effects of allloop.

moth 🦋

it does exist in Internal Scripting
do(amount of times to loop)
COMMANDS
loop

Dav999

This already exists in internal scripting :)

do(3)
playef(4)
delay(20)
loop

lol...ipops2

Dav999

That isn't, but if you really need to have some script running after every trinket you could just use script boxes (without causing conflicts, that is). I can see something being useful for causing something to happen after collecting the Xth trinket, but you really should not want a text box after every trinket you get.

lol...ipops2

Dav999

So whenever entering a room which has that entity inside?

By the way, adding commands would break compatibility with earlier versions.

Quote from: Terry on January 15, 2012, 12:20:32 PM
(b) A change of map format at this point is too late - most of the people who are ever going to download VVVVVV have done it at this point. I'd just be splitting the community in two, as a lot of people out there aren't going to bother updating their version of VVVVVV to play player levels. Also, due to the new 3DS version, some people simply can't.
Quote from: Terry
I can probably answer a few questions about this if anyone wants :) Here's some basic info, at the very least.

I'm sorry to disappoint, but I'm not adding any major new features to the game at all. The main reason for the update is that VVVVVV is not stable on new computers and operating systems. That's mostly what this update is about - making the game stable and free of serious bugs.

So, for example, I won't be improving scripting, or adding tower level support, or anything like that. The game's old and basically stable, I don't want to introduce new features at this point - I think it's too late. I don't want, for example, for people to have to update the game in order to play new player levels.

I'm going to be careful not to "fix" any bugs that have resulted in cool glitches - so, internal scripting will still work, teleglitching will still work, the R key thing will still work. The bug that lets you glitch to the end cutscene will be fixed, though.
Quote from: Terry on May 19, 2016, 12:04:33 PM
I'm unlikely to add anything new to VVVVVV at this point (it's six and a half years old now!), and any updates I do in future will just be to fix compatibility with new operating systems, and things like that. Adding new features to custom levels (e.g. custom PNG minimaps, tower levels, fixing behaviours like how cutscene bars work) would branch the game into an old custom map format and a new custom map format, creating compatibility issues, which I really don't want to do!

What I *could* see happening are additions to the map editor that don't break the current map format - like, it'd be cool if there was a switch to allow internal scripting that automatically took care of implementation in the background. That sorta thing!

moth 🦋

Quote from: Dav999 on June 29, 2016, 07:30:50 PM
So whenever entering a room which has that entity inside?

By the way, adding commands would break compatibility with earlier versions.
I really TRULY don't understand why people care about this. Updating is not that hard, and usually automatic. The only possible group you'd be servicing would be the people who pirated older versions of VVVVVV, so they'd be forced to buy it. And that's GOOD! That'd make you more money! And even if they were creators, they can just get the updated M&P. Trying to keep compatibility with old, obsolete versions doesn't make any sense.

Info Teddy

Quote from: Dav999 on June 29, 2016, 07:30:50 PMBy the way, adding commands would break compatibility with earlier versions.
Quote from: Terry on January 15, 2012, 12:20:32 PM(b) A change of map format at this point is too late - most of the people who are ever going to download VVVVVV have done it at this point. I'd just be splitting the community in two, as a lot of people out there aren't going to bother updating their version of VVVVVV to play player levels. Also, due to the new 3DS version, some people simply can't.
Quote from: TerryI can probably answer a few questions about this if anyone wants :) Here's some basic info, at the very least.

I'm sorry to disappoint, but I'm not adding any major new features to the game at all. The main reason for the update is that VVVVVV is not stable on new computers and operating systems. That's mostly what this update is about - making the game stable and free of serious bugs.

So, for example, I won't be improving scripting, or adding tower level support, or anything like that. The game's old and basically stable, I don't want to introduce new features at this point - I think it's too late. I don't want, for example, for people to have to update the game in order to play new player levels.

I'm going to be careful not to "fix" any bugs that have resulted in cool glitches - so, internal scripting will still work, teleglitching will still work, the R key thing will still work. The bug that lets you glitch to the end cutscene will be fixed, though.
Quote from: Terry on May 19, 2016, 12:04:33 PMI'm unlikely to add anything new to VVVVVV at this point (it's six and a half years old now!), and any updates I do in future will just be to fix compatibility with new operating systems, and things like that. Adding new features to custom levels (e.g. custom PNG minimaps, tower levels, fixing behaviours like how cutscene bars work) would branch the game into an old custom map format and a new custom map format, creating compatibility issues, which I really don't want to do!

What I *could* see happening are additions to the map editor that don't break the current map format - like, it'd be cool if there was a switch to allow internal scripting that automatically took care of implementation in the background. That sorta thing!
this argument is complete perkeleen vittupää

there's no reason the game can't support two different map formats at the same time
backwards compatibility doesn't mean "guess i'll just never update then"

Dav999

Terry said he didn't want people to have to update in order to play new VVVVVV levels, so even if a new version supports both the old format and some new format, people would start using the new format, and others would have to update in order to play those levels.