The Quick Question Thread

Started by Quote, September 15, 2016, 01:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Why aren't internal scripts written like normal scripts?  I mean why can't they all be one way?  Also, can you put normal and internal scripts in the same script box?  Like if you only have to do one thing internal for a cutscene then do you have to do the whole thing in internal?

Tainy

Quote from: Quote on September 19, 2016, 11:54:05 AM
Why aren't internal scripts written like normal scripts?  I mean why can't they all be one way? 
Terry made Internal for the main game, and didn't want to bestow game breaking and extremely powerful scripts on everyone, so he made the simplified scripting for custom levels. Internal scripting in custom levels really only exists due to Terry messing up while coding the parser.

Also, can you put normal and internal scripts in the same script box?  Like if you only have to do one thing internal for a cutscene then do you have to do the whole thing in internal?
I'm not sure, I think if you use the say method you can use simplified after the "internal void" as I call it, but I'm not sure about the iftrinkets method. There's probably a command for it, though.

Dav999

Why aren't internal scripts written like normal scripts?  I mean why can't they all be one way?
Because internal scripting was never meant to be used in custom levels.

Also, can you put normal and internal scripts in the same script box?  Like if you only have to do one thing internal for a cutscene then do you have to do the whole thing in internal?
Technically yes, you can enter/leave internal scripting in the middle of a script but you'll probably have to deal with either using multiple scripts or getting stuff like dialog sounds (if your one internal thing is not at the start of the script) and/or possibly a partially internal textbox (though I think the text(1,0,0,3) method made that unnecessary)

Ah, yes, thank you both :viridian:
(lol I have a lot of questions)
Why are the crewmates and the others specifically called Villis?  I don't remember that in the game anywhere, except from the room "The Villi People".  Is that where it originates from?

Ally 🌠

Villis is Kayya's headcannon
we went with it

LafondaSaysMeow

I still don't get the Sweeny's Maze joke...

allison

Quote from: Quote on September 22, 2016, 01:05:45 AM
I still don't get the Sweeny's Maze joke...
The enemies in that room are the Centipedes from ZZT, a game by Tim Sweeney.

(I think I'm the only person on here who played it before playing VVVVVV, or at all for that matter)

Quattro

Quote from: crazya on September 22, 2016, 01:16:51 AM
(I think I'm the only person on here who played ZZT before playing VVVVVV, or at all for that matter)
You're not, actually...

If VVVVVV (as a dimension) is a 20x20 map, the polar dimension has to be in another level. Or am I wrong? And if not, how could Terry link two level maps?

How cool, linked maps!

LafondaSaysMeow

It's actually all one map. Terry had the source, so he could do this insanity without breaking anything, but now you have to do some crap in a text editor if you want bigger maps to work with. And it still doesn't 100% work. In fact, the polar dimensions actually weren't removed in the level editor. You can see this for yourself by using the internal command finalmode(x,y)

QwertymanO07

Basically, Terry used room coordinates beyond 20 (or 19, I suppose, given how the game is set up).

Ally 🌠

No
Use a text editor and change the map size
Just a big mess

LafondaSaysMeow

Quote from: Luigi master on September 23, 2016, 06:17:36 PM
No
Use a text editor and change the map size
Just a big mess
Quote from: LafondaSaysMeow on September 22, 2016, 10:20:33 AM
... but now you have to do some crap in a text editor if you want bigger maps to work with.

Ally 🌠

Quote from: LafondaSaysMeow on September 23, 2016, 07:41:25 PM
Quote from: LafondaSaysMeow on September 22, 2016, 10:20:33 AM
... but now you have to do some crap in a text editor if you want bigger maps to work with.
"if you want bigger maps to work with."
That doesn't work reeeeee

LafondaSaysMeow