7 Tips for Creating Levels!

Started by TheRealGDColon, January 05, 2017, 11:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRealGDColon

Over time, I've been using VVVVVV's editor more and more often, and I learned some pretty cool things that some people might not have known!

1. If you middle click on a tile in direct mode, it will automatically change your selected block to it. This has saved me a LOT of time...

2. You can erase a script be pressing Backspace while highlighting a script. I truly don't know why some people don't know this.

3. If an internal script is one line, you don't need the text(1,0,0,4) or loadscript(stop) commands. Just make sure you load the script using iftrinkets or ifflag.

4. You can access music that's normally only accessible via internal scripting by typing the internal number into the music(#) script, followed by a b.  For example, music(5b) would play Pause rather than Presenting VVVVVV

5. If you file edit or use Ved to choose a level's song that's normally unavailable (displays "Something Else") in the music select screen and you select "Next Song", it will resume cycling through the normal music, making your song unable to select until file editing again. However, if you set the song to the Predestined Fate Remix, upon pressing next song it will cycle through all songs, allowing you to use any track. However, you might need a good ear because all songs will appear as "Something Else".

6. Using the createentity(x,y,1) internal script will create a purple square enemy. However, if you use this in certain rooms, it will display some of the enemies found in-game, such as the Yes Men. A map of the rooms they can be found can be seen at http://distractionware.com/forum/index.php?topic=2881.0

7. Lastly, a bit of a fun one. If you go to the music select screen, and press escape while a track is playing, the music will not stop, allowing you to create while rockin' out to your favorite Souleye tunes (sorry, that was weird). Of course, when you playtest the level the music will stop.

So, there you have it. An actually serious post on this forum for a change. If you have any tips to share, feel free to say them below. Anyways, my fingers hurt now, so bye!  :viridian:

moth 🦋

Quote from: TheRealGDColon on January 05, 2017, 11:06:41 PM
4. You can access music that's normally only accessible via internal scripting by typing the internal number into the music(#) script, followed by a b.  For example, music(5b) would play Pause rather than Presenting VVVVVV
um? I'm pretty sure music(5a) plays pause, not music(5b)? or do both work?

TheRealGDColon

They both, actually. I prefer b, idk why

QwertymanO07

8. createcrewman() crewmates cannot "turn that frown upside-down", so to speak.  I'm not sure why, but it means that you must make sure your crewmates are on the floor if you want them to frown.

Dav999

You can use changetile() for that, it's also used in the main game to make Victoria frown in her room in the ship.

Gawne

Info Teddy

Quote from: shiny k on January 06, 2017, 12:09:18 AMum? I'm pretty sure music(5a) plays pause, not music(5b)? or do both work?
any character works
Quote from: Dav999 on January 06, 2017, 04:44:32 AMYou can use changetile() for that, it's also used in the main game to make Victoria frown in her room in the ship.
you can make the game change the sprite of the player instead (because it can't locate crewmate blue so it defaults to the player) by walking out of her room on the same frame you press enter