Haxe compiling problem

Started by eclectic, January 06, 2017, 08:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eclectic

Hello everyone, I'm following tutorials and I set up Haxe, Openfl and Neko and I'm trying to compile a default project template and projects from some tutorials with no success.

I really want to learn haxe as I would like to put my creativity into code and try to make a game but I'm stucked trying to compile my first project.

This is my log: http://pastebin.com/wkTUWerr, please if anyone has any idea what's wrong let me know, I'm stucked and I don't know how to proceed. I'm sure the project itself has no errors as it has been tested and even a default template does not compile.

Thanks in advance for any help

QwertymanO07

If you're just trying to make a game, I'd suggest using the LÖVE engine[love2d.org], since it's cross-platform and apparently far easier to use.  Though if you need Haxe for something in particular, there's not much I can do.

moth 🦋

Quote from: QwertymanO07 on January 06, 2017, 08:37:49 PM
If you're just trying to make a game, I'd suggest using the LÖVE engine[love2d.org], since it's cross-platform and apparently far easier to use.  Though if you need Haxe for something in particular, there's not much I can do.
i think terry knows haxe sooo

eclectic

Someone told me I must upgrade from version 3.2.1. as it is too old but that is the version that installs from official repository, once I manage to upgrade to a newer version I will post here if it solves the problem.

Terry

Yeah, from that log it looks like something isn't up to date, probably haxe itself. OpenFL has been getting a *lot* of updates this year, and versions seem to break along the way!

eclectic

Hi Terry, thanks for answering, after searching for a solution I found that the versions of Haxe and Neko that comes from official Ubuntu repository seems to be incompatible (by default installs haxe 3.2. and neko 2.1.) It seems that the only solution is building haxe from source.

Version compatibility
Haxe - neko
2.* - 1.*
3.0.0 - 2.0.0
3.1.3 - 2.0.0
3.2.0 - 2.0.0
3.3.0 - 2.1.0

After building Haxe version 3.4.0 from source I can compile without problem. I hope this information is helpful if anyone try to learn Haxe.

Terry

Gosh, linux! You had to compile the compiler from source just to get started? :o

Terry

Made an issue about this on the OpenFL github page, that's a serious barrier to people dipping their feet into Haxe/OpenFL. :victoria: https://github.com/openfl/openfl/issues/1421