Author Topic: V6 (WIP)  (Read 1684 times)

the_ally235

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
V6 (WIP)
« on: January 15, 2017, 03:44:51 am »
(First post, never introduced myself anywhere around here, and already posting a level... good job me...)

Hello there. This level I have yet to finish, far from it, but I'm just wanting to put out what I currently have to see other people's opinions on it and whatnot. As of now, the length of it is quite short, because I tend to take way too much time going into detail with everything and it took up a lot of my time to do so.

Since I have yet to make the scripts for this, I don't have the story properly told within it. Or at all. So, I'll have to detail it here for now.

Basically, Viridian has gone off for a break, and the rest of his crew set out on a mission to investigate an unknown ship found within the area, but decide to leave Viridian to his break and go do it themselves, but they never return from the ship...
Afterwards, Viridian starts receiving a distress signal, and, unbeknownst to him, the signal comes from the very same ship that his crew went to. So, Viridian goes to investigate the signal, and discovers something extraordinary...

Shot Screens
(From latest release)

Imgur Gallery Archives:

January 17, 2017
http://imgur.com/gallery/NcncQ
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:39:24 pm by the_ally235 »

QwertymanO07

• Captain
  • Rad scientist exraordinare
    • View Profile
Re: V6 (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 04:14:53 am »
I haven't played the level yet, but there's a couple things I noticed:

First, you can resize images when embedding them using a width or height argument in your [img] tag.  Example:
[img width=320]http://i.imgur.com/mRjCzVU.png[/img]

Second, your screens look kind of plain; try using direct mode to spice them up a little bit.  I know the Ship backgrounds pair well with the lab tiles.

EDIT:
Alright, I've finished the level, and here are a few more things I noticed.
  • When you change the background, make sure you're using the Ship tileset, because then it appears correctly in the map.
  • The wall placement just doesn't feel right in some places.  It should all seem very deliberate, and perhaps geometric.
  • If you plan on continuing this, making a teleporter system would be a really nice touch.  Granted, you would probably have to learn Internal Scripting, but Ved makes that really easy.
  • The gravityline doors were a nice touch, but I think they would be better as tiles and a playef() script.  They just seem a little glitchy.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 04:44:07 am by QwertymanO07 »

the_ally235

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 03:42:06 pm »
Yeah, it's really early in design, I expected to need changes to things, but I have yet to work on scripts for it.

Although, did the names of the areas feel like they were good?

QwertymanO07

• Captain
  • Rad scientist exraordinare
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 09:47:51 pm »
The roomnames were nice.  I especially liked "The Bane of My Existence... Stairs...", though I'm such a Metroid Prime fanboy, that the best way to get me excited about roomnames is to make them seem like they're from that game.

Also, here's the entire code to embed your screenshots.  You can just copy it into your post.
Code: [Select]
[table]
[tr]
[td][img width=320]http://i.imgur.com/mRjCzVU.png[/img][/td]
[td][img width=320]http://i.imgur.com/HoPSJMB.png[/img][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][img width=320]http://i.imgur.com/T0qPrp5.png[/img][/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

the_ally235

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 04:38:16 pm »
Thanks for the image code stuff!
Although I feel like it would be nicer to keep them in separate imgur galleries for each of the different releases, but I might just have the main post show the screenshots of the latest release and have the imgur gallery links for archival purposes. I guess.

Also, I don't know if this has been noted, but when messing with scripts, there is a chance that you may be able to lock up all controls of the entire game, where you can't do anything at all, and have to close the program to be able to exit the game. Just wanted to point that out, as it happened to me all of a sudden and out of the blue last night.

Ally 🌠

• Captain
  • <3
    • View Profile
    • Ally 🌠
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 01:33:02 am »
Also, I don't know if this has been noted, but when messing with scripts, there is a chance that you may be able to lock up all controls of the entire game, where you can't do anything at all, and have to close the program to be able to exit the game. Just wanted to point that out, as it happened to me all of a sudden and out of the blue last night.
That is when you press esc in the middle of a running script.
Press ALT+ENTER until Viridian flips, and then press esc to exit the playtest mode.
Place a trinket over a spawnpoint, and spawn there.
Exit again and remove the trinket, it should be normal now.