A Level

Started by pattoo1234, February 06, 2017, 04:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pattoo1234

Here is a great level I made! I have no idea what to call it.

Ally 🌠

If you can make more than one level a week, you either never sleep, or they're really rushed and shitty. Just putting that out there.

stop making so many topics

pattoo1234

I didn't make more than one level a week, I made lots of levels over months.

Ally 🌠

QwertymanO07

Your levels are definitely getting better.  This one even had an aspect that was even better than most levels, even by seasoned creators: the way you handle trinket paths.  In this level, it is mostly immediately obvious which way will lead to a trinket, and which one will continue the level, simply by showing the end point of the path. 

It falls flat in a few key areas, though.  First, it's not much to look at; there's pretty much no decoration in the levels, and it tends to quickly shift between tilesets with no transition.  It also has this air of sameness, it feels like there's no difference in kind, so it's like doing the same thing four times, then another level twice, each with slightly different skins.  There's an overreliance on unforeseeable traps as well, this is bad in every which way.  Not giving the player all the information they need is just cheap.  Additionally, it requires some overly-precise jumps; even Super Hexagon lets you touch the sides of the shapes without dying.  Lastly, it has a part at the end that will erase your progress if you go through a warp token, so as to let you collect enough Trinkets to finish, I imagine.  This would be fine if you had made it unlock a warp back to that last room, so players don't have to trek through the final level again, especially if they went in by mistake or was missing a trinket at the beginning.

Overall, the level, while very flawed, has some interesting concepts that are certainly worth considering.  The intuitiveness of trinket paths is the foremost thing to study, but I'm sure someone could find something else that's interesting about it.

pattoo1234

Do you know where I got the section names?

pattoo1234

Also, it is impossible to glitch through the gravity line that is blocking the final level.

QwertymanO07

Quote from: pattoo1234 on February 07, 2017, 03:04:50 PM
No, I've never seen Star Wars.
Quote from: pattoo1234 on February 07, 2017, 03:17:33 PM
Also, it is impossible to glitch through the gravity line that is blocking the final level.
Yeah, I noticed.

Also, there was one thing I forgot to say: name your levels.  Even some dumb placeholder name is better than nothing, because nobody likes trying to find out which unnamed level is yours.

lol...ipops2

Quote from: QwertymanO07 on February 07, 2017, 09:31:06 PM
Quote from: pattoo1234 on February 07, 2017, 03:04:50 PM
No, I've never seen Star Wars.
Quote from: pattoo1234 on February 07, 2017, 03:17:33 PM
Yeah, I noticed.

Also, there was one thing I forgot to say: name your levels.  Even some dumb placeholder name is better than nothing, because nobody likes trying to find out which unnamed level is yours.
Patoo is the ruler of his own mind.
He's placed a law where he can't do anything that isn't stupid.
It's impossible to overthrow him.

pattoo1234

Update: Added a warp in the hub that takes you to the last room of the final level, and added tileset transitions.

SJMistery

Nice level, no doubt the best one of all the ones you posted.

pattoo1234