VVOVOV - I made / am making a Fangame

Started by Joshua, May 15, 2017, 05:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fraZ0R

Ally 🌠

Joshua

Quote from: -Kiwi Alexia ♡ on July 03, 2017, 10:23:49 PM
You should actually try an xml file or a json file for levels, like VVVVVV.
Something like VVVVVV's.
I'll probably do something more on the json end of the spectrum (that seems a bit more logical).
I guess I could try to go consistently with an already existing format, to make it easier for people to use.

I also figured out how to do stuff with javafx, even though half of it was having to bother with the garbage collector.
Oh, and I changed the old crappy font.

Ally 🌠

I'm not sure why I said xml tbh
I like json better

Well yeah, json would be a better choice.

Joshua

Progress Update:
The map and all minigames are done.
The game has an easy, normal and hard difficulty.
I now have a website http://heptaveegesimal.com/ where I will publish the game.
The game now has an ingame news system.

Give me around 2 to 3 more weeks for all sorts off stuff (Bugfixes, Testplaying, etc.).

CreepiX

fraZ0R

Viridan

if he gets in this, could i also get in this?

Joshua

Quote from: CreepiX on October 10, 2017, 01:07:46 PM
Love this! Good luck Trdjn. :viridian:
Thanks.
Quote from: 5tr4 on October 14, 2017, 11:45:13 AM
Could I playtest?
Quote from: StillSpelledViridan on October 14, 2017, 01:07:17 PM
if he gets in this, could i also get in this?

So this is the current situation:
There is only some text missing which is not directly relevant for the game because it is meant to provide some backstory. Now I neither want to fill this with a bunch of forced shitty text nor do I want to delay this for a few months just to slowly fill this in. So there will be some terminals that will tell the player that they don't contain any content.

Now speaking of test playing:
So far I have only given the game to some people I actually know in person, so I can get rid of major bugs before releasing this game. If asking here I might as well upload a 0.3 Version which would be appropriate anyways since this simply isn't a 1.0 Version. Then I could split test players in to 0.2 test players and 0.3 test players. In that case anyone who wants could play the early potentially buggy version and also send me their save file for the sake of statistics, plus all relevant rooms are named so addressing bugs in certain rooms shouldn't be too hard. Does this still count as test playing or would this just be people downloading and playing the game. Anyways I don't want to wait much longer for the current test players since only two out of six of them actually played at least the start of the game, while the rest has not (after two weeks). The only major bug I fixed since then was one that I found on my own, if anyone cares it was basically randomly causing the game running at only 66% of the normal speed, caused by the Java VM not liking the Thread.sleep() method and I had this happen only two times during development, so it was hard for me to find out what caused it.

And on a completely unrelated note:
5tr4 your avatar reminds me of this video.

fraZ0R

Wow you are the first person who actually figured out what I based my (old but I'm using it again for Halloween) avatar on!

Joshua

This is still an early version and has some missing content.
There probably still be some bugs, so please let me know when you find bugs.
You can now download this fangame Here.
But if you want a game with no missing content an as few bugs as possible you might want to wait for a later version.

Also the function to select different skins, which was mostly just a for fun feature, turns out to be rather pointless since there are no custom levels.

TheMediocreToOkayGatsby

Do you mind making a version where the "any key" screen is removed for me, please? I run Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1, and it won't register the key presses.

Joshua

Quote from: Klar on October 31, 2017, 02:10:40 PM
Do you mind making a version where the "any key" screen is removed for me, please? I run Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1, and it won't register the key presses.
So this was a joke I added quite a while ago, decided to keep it and most people got this relatively quickly.
So Spoiler [Highlight the text below]:
Press "Any Key" meant to use your mouse and press the highlighted "Any Key" on the screen.

Also since there is no predefined Path for Windows Vista, you might want to open the jar file, go to basics/main/Path.txt and edit that file, the syntax of it should be relatively obvious you just should not add something below the default case, also ~/ is the home directory.

TheMediocreToOkayGatsby

Er, thanks! I really should've caught on to that.
EDIT: There's a bug where if you collect a piece of cake by running into it, the running animation still plays for as long as you don't dismiss the text. It's a bug, but it's really funny because it looks like you're doing a victory dance.
EDIT 2: Secret Information was almost impossible!

Viridan

cool so far. however i'd say that the "achievement unlocked" box is kind of intrusive, because at the end of the tutorial it gets in the way of a terminal textbox. and speaking of the end of the tutorial, you don't get the "got all three cakes" achievement until you talk to the last terminal there.

it would make more sense if the emancipation grill only erased your own portals instead of the ones that already exist when you walk in.

also, if you're aiming to replicate vvvvvv's physics, the player character should instantly reach maximum velocity when they flip or fall off a platform. it seems to me that they start out with less momentum than two seconds later.