Variety Pack

Started by pattoo1234, May 24, 2017, 02:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pattoo1234

Check out this level! It goes through various themes.

Joshua

Ok, so I played this level.

While playing I wasn't really sure if this level was supposed to just show off different designs while having only very simple to no gameplay, or containing simple to medium gameplay with no special design.

So just focusing on the design, your level did have some neat visuals.
I liked the optical illusion thing, where straight lines looked like they were curved (Sorry I don't know what Tileset this, off of my head). Otherwise there were some rooms with good combinations of different colors.

The Cold/Warm-etc.-Section had in my opinion both, a good design and good gameplay.

Then again there were a lot of rooms which had neither impressive gameplay nor design, which just felt like filler rooms to make the entire thing a bit longer.

I guess you do get extra points for including Pluto into the Planet-Section, although we do have Images of Pluto, you now these with the giant heart shape.

pattoo1234

Thanks for the great review! Do you know who I included in each section?

uugr

14:34, 74 deaths, 18/18 trinkets.

To be honest, playing this made VVVVVVoice seem a lot less impressive, since you reused a lot of "ideas" from there. It should also surprise nobody that this level isn't particularly impressive.

Pattoo, these levels just look like you don't know what you're doing. They kind of remind me of the first few levels I made when I didn't know what I was doing, but the difference is you've made like twenty of these and still haven't gotten much better. (At least as far as I can tell, I haven't played all your levels.) The name of the absurdly easy "Tricky Trinket" implies that you aren't good enough at the game to understand what makes something genuinely hard, and most of the actual difficulty in your level seems like it came as a fluke rather than a product of genuine design. A prime example is "Antivirus", where you seem to have placed the blocks in an order that just *happens* to put a 2-space gap between the third and fourth block, meaning a player must either rush or position themselves extremely carefully. The room is very easy otherwise, and it comes completely out of nowhere regarding the level's difficulty curve, so it looks like an accident. Maybe it was intentional, but that just means you're bad at determining difficulty curve instead of just gameplay in general.

The fact that you keep putting in these rooms with impossible obstacles when the solution is clearly to go backward baffles me. Putting a hidden Warp Line in is awful level design in the first place, and everyone knows the """""solution""""" after the first seven million times.

Electric Boogaloo is complete garbage, and I think you know that. Considering how fast you pump these ridiculously long levels out, though, it seems like you just moved on and forgot about, instead of doing the sensible thing and replacing it with something less terrible.

The 'Colors' bit is an interesting visual, but the rooms are absurdly boring because they're so desolate. There's no reason NOT to combine the interesting visual with interesting gameplay - unless, of course, you're rushing through these rooms in order to get "as long a level as possible". Same goes for the planet area.

The 'elements' section is pretty much copied from VVVVVVoice... I mean, really? Do you think people aren't going to notice this?

The '9/11' section's roomnames would feel a lot cleverer if I wasn't 100% sure you copied it from something else. It's really obvious.

The 'room duality' bit is surprisingly good by the standards of the level, but a lot of the rooms (i.e. 'Shiver/Burn') go back to what I was saying earlier about not really knowing what you're doing. The conveyor spaced apart like that seems like an 'obvious design' along the lines of the rest of the level, but the constant movement combined with the annoyingly-spaced jumps make it much harder than the surrounding levels.

The trinkets are awful. Having two paths with no indication of which one is a trinket isn't a 'puzzle', many of them are meaningless freebies and the rest are ridiculously easy - once again, I'm suspicious of your prowess at the game since you can't seem to place the trinkets above the level of natural difficulty.

i admit i like the faces

Twisty Passages... Man, you don't need to take a professional game design course for this, a five-year-old could explain the idiocy of this idea. I'm worried for your mental health if you think this is at all acceptable in a level that someone is to actually play. Would you show this level off to someone, proud of it? Honestly, with something like 'Twisty Passages' I sort of doubt it.

In general, the whole level is full of filler and about half the map could be cut out with no consequence. I don't really mind 'filler-y' rooms as much as a bunch of other people seem to, and this is nowhere near the worst problem with this level, but it is really noticeable how many rooms have no challenge in them at all.

Your level's visual style was alright, I guess, but it's not anywhere near the same level as, say, mrytp's, and it's certainly not enough to carry the atrocious gameplay, particularly since the quality of the visuals varies so dramatically between rooms. The color and planet sections mentioned above are a far cry from, say, the DTTHW-section.

Also, I say you LOSE points for including Pluto in the Planet Section! Pluto isn't a planet, and never will be! Take THAT, trdjn!  :vermillion:

pattoo1234

Do you know whose face I included in each section? Hint: Dimension Color.

allison

Quote from: pattoo1234 on May 26, 2017, 12:47:26 PM
so, you're not going to address any of that, huh

this reminds me of myself in the megazeux community when I was a kid

cheesefactory

Quoteso, you're not going to address any of that, huh

this reminds me of myself in the megazeux community when I was a kid

Wait, aren't you still a kid, or are you an 80-year-old man who still plays video games?

Also, I agree with your comment 100%

Ally 🌠

Quote from: pattoo1234 on May 26, 2017, 12:47:26 PM
"Hmm, negative, negative. Ooh, something positive.
I'm not going to listen to the negatives, I'm going to ask something almost completly unrelated to the one positive thing!"

pattoo1234

Why did you not guess?

uugr

I didn't guess because I don't care, and honestly, the fact that this is another "guessing game" along the lines of the ridiculous (and, frankly, hilarious) Character Guessing Game nonsense pretty badly devalues the not-awfulness of the faces.

I redownloaded mrytp's Dimension Colour to check - yep, you stole plagiarized freebooted """referenced""" the villain of Colour for the faces. So now the one part of your level that I actually liked without reservation wasn't even an original concept of yours, nor was it a clever """reference""". That takes whatever value the faces HAD as an idea and pretty much throws it out the window. Welp, that's not good news for you.

moth 🦋

Quote from: cheesefactory on May 26, 2017, 06:49:41 PM
Wait, aren't you still a kid, or are you an 80-year-old man who still plays video games?
crazya is 17 he probably means when he was like 10 or something

pattoo1234

lol...ipops2

We're gonna need your full name, grade, and address to immigrate into distractionware.

And your finest dress.
(My wife's pretty crazy...)

cheesefactory

Also your social security number...

pattoo1234

Why do you want to know all of these? You're derailing the topic!