VVVVVV Level Editor Tutorial - Part 1: The basics

Started by Terry, July 26, 2011, 04:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheoX

Thanks for the tips Terry!  Seems like the shift button is pretty important!

Insani

How do you change the level size? I want to turn my 5x5 level ~10x10ways.

PastorOfMuppets

Quick question: Is there any way to make crewmate-specific lines, like there are in the actual game? For example, if I wanted Vermillion to say something like "Hey, Captain!", could I get it to show up in his color, rather than the grey that the say command gives you?

Habstinat

Quote from: PastorOfMuppets on July 29, 2011, 07:12:13 AM
Quick question: Is there any way to make crewmate-specific lines, like there are in the actual game? For example, if I wanted Vermillion to say something like "Hey, Captain!", could I get it to show up in his color, rather than the grey that the say command gives you?
There aren't any (documented) ways to do this as of yet that I'm aware of.
Quote from: Insani on July 29, 2011, 06:42:54 AM
How do you change the level size? I want to turn my 5x5 level ~10x10ways.
Hold Shift and use the arrow keys.

Insani

SirBryghtside

I'm halfway through doing a level, but so far haven't found any 'finalise' option - as in, making it an actual level (like the options on 'play a level) rather than a testing bit on the editor.

Help?

Insani

Quote from: SirBryghtside on July 29, 2011, 02:07:48 PM
I'm halfway through doing a level, but so far haven't found any 'finalise' option - as in, making it an actual level (like the options on 'play a level) rather than a testing bit on the editor.

Help?

Shift + S, save it as whatever. It'll appear in the play levels part. (Make sure to add a name and description, or it'll look weird!)

FawFuL

I'd still like to know this before it gets forgotten:

Also, question.. If you use Iftrinketsless(1,scriptname), shouldn't it go to 'scriptname' if you have 0 or 1 trinket(s)? Iftrinkets(2,scriptname) works if you get 2 trinkets, but Iftrinketsless doesn't seem to work for me.

Also, is there a possibility to move around during a script, like during a delay? If not, i hope this feature will be there in the future  :victoria:

You see, this is ideal for making a gravitron with the following script:

Delay(600)
Destroy(gravitylines)

If you would put 2 gravity lines, and a script box field between, this would almost be the same as the real gravitron in the story. Except for the timer.. oh well, maybe a timer during a delay is some cool feature for the future aswell  :viridian:

SirBryghtside

Quote from: Insani on July 29, 2011, 02:22:13 PM
Quote from: SirBryghtside on July 29, 2011, 02:07:48 PM

Help?

Shift + S, save it as whatever. It'll appear in the play levels part. (Make sure to add a name and description, or it'll look weird!)
Thanks, I must've missed it somehow   :)

Ice

As someone suggested earlier, I made a script like this:

ifflag(1, ignore)
flag(1,on)
*speech stuff*

and ignore was just an empty script. going there the second time made the game put the black on the top and bottom as if taking was about to start, and putting delay(1) in ignore did the same thing. Instead for now I just made Viridian think about how you shouldn't be there.

FCreature

I don't know if this is where I can report editor bugs but;

I made a script that looked like this

say(2)
Blurg blurg blurg blurg blurg
blurg blurge?
reply(3)
Blurg blurge! blurge blurge
blurge blurge blurge blurge
blurge blurge blurge!

but, then I went in game to test it and when I pressed space to get the reply, the game crashed and I lost all my progress :(

Ice

Quote from: FCreature on July 29, 2011, 10:07:41 PM
I don't know if this is where I can report editor bugs but;

I made a script that looked like this

say(2)
Blurg blurg blurg blurg blurg
blurg blurge?
reply(3)
Blurg blurge! blurge blurge
blurge blurge blurge blurge
blurge blurge blurge!

but, then I went in game to test it and when I pressed space to get the reply, the game crashed and I lost all my progress :(
Something like this had happened to me when I was trying to make the script in my last post, but I tried it again to see if it was re-creatable and it worked fine. I kind of just assumed that I typed it wrong the first time.

Insani

I always put an 'end' at the end of my scripts, ever since I started I've hardly had any script crashes at all, if any.

Blublu

Is there any way or workaround to make a script run more than once without exiting the screen? It seems like it only runs once, then it won't run again until you exit and re-enter the screen.  :(

YouKnow

I can think of a way that involves many flags and many different scripts, although it would have a limitation on where you can place the mess in physical space.

It's probably better to wait for Terry to implement something like that if he ever will.