"A New Dimension" by Souleye

Started by SoulEye, July 26, 2011, 07:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

discostrings

Hey Souleye! Really digging your level so far.

I've come across some glitches, though, so I thought I'd post before finishing the level and forgetting them. They all happen toward (what I imagine is) the end of the level.

1) In "City lights" (8,14) when you hit the second platform when it's at the top and you flip right away, it's possible to get stuck in position there. It happened to me the first two times I tried the room so it shouldn't be too hard to reproduce unless I was just insanely unlucky.

2) In "Outburst of energy" (12, 14) I got stuck on the diagonally striped block located at -8,-4 from the upper left corner when bouncing down from "Glitch in the graviton". Maybe it's too close to the top?

3) In "Joshua, what is the winning move?" (18,2) some wonkiness happens with the bottom conveyor belt when you go from the left side of the screen to the right and then back. The first time this happened to me, I moved up the wall to "Milton Waddams was here". The second time, I think I was transported up the other side, as I remember going through "Pole Dancer" and ending up at "T of life" (and then I accidentally hit the checkpoint to the right, d'oh!, which is where I am now).

Oh, and I just read your solution to Pole Dancer, which should help me the second time through. The first time, I "brute forced" it by trying it until I fit myself between the string and the right wall, "sliding down the pole". Took quite a few tries, but it works! Although let's just say when I thought that was the solution it made me want to call you twat.

Let me know if you need more details!

SoulEye

Quote from: discostrings on August 02, 2011, 06:11:19 PM
Hey Souleye! Really digging your level so far.

Thanks! :)

1) Fixed.

In 2), I'll need a pic which block you're talking about, as "-8,-4 from the upper left corner" doesn't quite do it for me :) - although I know that single blocks ANYWHERE can get stuck in. But this room kind of calls for some.

3) I cannot reproduce it! :( But I did add some thing that *may* help anyway, I don't know...

I'll upload a new version when we've worked out these kinks. And good thing I'm not a twat in your eyes anymore! :)

discostrings

Quote from: SoulEye on August 02, 2011, 06:39:23 PM
In 2), I'll need a pic which block you're talking about, as "-8,-4 from the upper left corner" doesn't quite do it for me :) - although I know that single blocks ANYWHERE can get stuck in. But this room kind of calls for some.

Haha, guess I could've explained it better or at least mentioned those were supposed to be Cartesian coordinates for the block. I've attached an image from the editor with Viridian standing on it. I tried to reproduce getting stuck in the editor, and while I could bounce down and go through various single blocks, I didn't get stuck because I could I flip out. I couldn't when I got stuck in-game though.

Quote from: SoulEye on August 02, 2011, 06:39:23 PM
3) I cannot reproduce it! :( But I did add some thing that *may* help anyway, I don't know...

I just tried to reproduce it in the editor and I couldn't either! But it surely happened to me at least 4 times in playing through the game, with a restart of the game in between them. Is the editor maybe running a slightly different version of the engine than the game itself? That would explain why you didn't see it in testing. Of the glitches I ran into, this was definitely the worst, as it made it difficult to finish the screen and sent me back many rooms to look for a good place to die (before I knew about the suicide key). If I still had the save from there, I would send it so you can test your fix.

There was one more I noticed before I finished the game, but I'm not sure if it was a glitch or a bit of cleverness. Here's how to reproduce: It's on "Safe within the walls" (16,3). Go to the screen right of it, "It's time to ride", finish the room and pass through the corner of "Safe within the walls" to the room below. Now flip back up to the room and go to the right--you'll go through the wall on the left and move up through it, or down, bounce off the string, and then climb up to the same place. If it's a glitch, it fits so perfectly with the name of the room perhaps you should leave it in, since all it does it let you skip a room and a half ; ) Perfect old-school shortcut.

I really enjoyed the level, and I'm impressed you made it in such a short time. I'll definitely have to make a trinket run in the future. It tempts me to try my own hand with the editor...

SoulEye

Quote from: discostrings on August 02, 2011, 07:52:22 PM

I really enjoyed the level, and I'm impressed you made it in such a short time. I'll definitely have to make a trinket run in the future. It tempts me to try my own hand with the editor...

Thanks!

The "Safe within the walls" things is a glitch and is FIXED! The skippable room is a reward, not a challenge.
So, all things fixed (well... as much as they're gonna be right now), and I'm uploading a new archive to the first post.

Pfhor

I think I broke your level :(.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bXKh94Nl7U

Not sure if this is an issue with the engine itself but it's bad enough that this happened to me by accident the first time I discovered it.

I'll definitely keep trying to finish it legit though lol.

Edit: I noticed that someone posted this, did you have a newer version out that fixed it? If so I'm interested to know how you did, and will it reset my save file if I download it?

SoulEye

Quote from: Pfhor on August 02, 2011, 08:32:45 PM
I think I broke your level :(.

This one is fixed. My first post in this topic has the newest version of the level. As for saves... I don't know for sure, but they should be okay... Don't take my word for it; I recommend you do backups, as that's not my area of expertise.

SoulEye

Ok, it seems I uploaded the wrong map when updating. Now the fixes are *really* fixed. :)

Martze

Downloading the latest version fixed my problem. Thanks, SoulEye! :viridian:

Martze

I managed to complete a trinket run of this map. I enjoyed it very much!

I found some more bugs, though...  You seem to be having trouble with versioning, because some of them are old bugs you already fixed. :victoria: (I'm a pretty careless programmer myself and I screw up versioning all the time.)

1. You can bypass the long vertical challenge almost entirely. First, you can go up the shaft to the left, past the entire challenge, and proceed to "Fly by" (3, 1). Go down and to the left, and land on the spot where there isn't a spike in Expander (2, 5). From there, simply flip and go up to "Problem?" (2, 1). Of course, I Did Things The Hard Way for the challenge of it. It was a total breeze after I got past the first few screens.

On "Lets be friends again", it is possible to skip way ahead by wedging yourself into this corner. This may be the expected behavior, but I'm not sure, so I decided to report it. Also, let's is spelled with an apostophe.  :verdigris:

In "I wouldn't go up there if I were you" (8, 19), it looks like up leads to a trinket and right leads forward. As someone who wanted all the trinkets, I was frustrated when I went up and the opposite turned out to be true. And after just a few short screens, backtracking was impossible.

In "Occult ceremony" (7, 15), it is possible to skip the cutscene with Victoria by approaching her from the right side.

Another poster already mentioned the bug in "You can rush or take it slow" (6, 1), but it appears to still not be fixed. Heading through the uppermost passage on the right hand side results in Viridian getting stuck in a wall.

Another poster already mentioned the bug in "City lights" (8, 14), but I got stuck there again.

The right-hand teleporter in "Doing things the side way" was upside down. Spawning there sticks you in the wall and kills you. I managed to fix that one on my own.

Pfhor

Yeah I tried the newest version and the 4,13 bug that's in my video is still there.

I finished a non-trinket run though, and it's a really well done series of levels. It's the closest in quality to the original game out of all of the custom maps I've played so far.

SoulEye

Thanks for the reports and praise. I've uploaded a new version which addresses all the things you've mentioned in the last few posts.

bigkahuna

Hey SoulEye! I really am enjoying your level (the little I've played of it... Newbiness?) and I love the VVVVVV soundtrack. The major song in your level sounds a lot like the Eye of the Tiger chorus...

Anyway, I'm stuck on the "Nudge-Nudge" screen and for the life of me can't find a way to beat it. I tried to reach the small ledge on the left side, but I keep getting rammed into the spike. Then, I tried to fit through the space between the platform and the spike on the right side, but kepty getting rammed into the spike. Could you PM me a solution? Thanks.

SoulEye

Quote from: bigkahuna on August 03, 2011, 05:26:27 PM
Hey SoulEye! I really am enjoying your level (the little I've played of it... Newbiness?) and I love the VVVVVV soundtrack. The major song in your level sounds a lot like the Eye of the Tiger chorus...

Anyway, I'm stuck on the "Nudge-Nudge" screen and for the life of me can't find a way to beat it. I tried to reach the small ledge on the left side, but I keep getting rammed into the spike. Then, I tried to fit through the space between the platform and the spike on the right side, but kepty getting rammed into the spike. Could you PM me a solution? Thanks.

I'll spoil you here instead:

Stand on the roof. Watch the platform as it shrinks to its smallest size. Position yourself on the roof directly above this place, where if you jump, you'll land on the far-left tip of the platform... Then, when it is it's smallest size, jump down on this very leftmost edge. As it expands left you'll travel left too. Jump off to the left before the gap closes where you could get killed.

(Eye of the tiger! Haha yes now that you say it I hear it!)

bigkahuna

Thanks for the solution!

I was hating you and life when I got no checkpoint after the Gravitron screens =P

I found a bug in the "City Lights" screen. Same as discolight except a bit different.

I went on the second platform and let it travel all the way to the top. When it hits the spikes, your character gets stuck in it indefinitely. I reproduced it two or three times. Here's an image.

Nevermind, saw that you fixed it at a later date than I downloaded it. Sorry.

SoulEye

Quote from: bigkahuna on August 03, 2011, 06:39:36 PM
I was hating you and life when I got no checkpoint after the Gravitron screens =P

Did you die in "remember these spikes"? :)
And... Which was the next checkpoint you get? "Home sweet home"? :)