"Pyramid of Doom" by Robson

Started by Robson, July 26, 2011, 11:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robson

It was a massive honour to be part of VVVVVV 2.0 and I had a lot of fun making my level. I hope you all enjoy it :viridian:

My level was designed to be strongly themed and relatively low difficulty.

The awesome music for this level is Potential For Anything by Souleye.

increpare

I liked the style of this level quite a lot.

mint301

Really enjoyed this level. I liked that it wasn't super hard. I liked the concept of the pyramid. I loved the sence of progression (indicated by the left right movement shortening each time you go up). Walking on diagonal floors messed me up mentally, infact comprehending a diagonal bit of floor was probably the hardest part of the level for me  :P

TheoX

This is one of my favorites that came with the game because it is so much easier.  most of the other levels are driving me insane.  This one was a wonderful excursion into playability.  :D

kralle777

That's the one I played first and it was very fun. It wasn't too hard but there were some small challenges.

I liked this easteregg(spoiler):

I found the face of a creeper! D:

TheoX

I liked that too but wouldn't call it an easter egg  :P

Arkatox

MIND LINK

Terrific level! I found it to be very relaxing!  ;D

Franz24

Just played it and I loved it!
The art in the background was amazing, and I loved the fact that I didn't have to try everything 10 times before I beat it ^^
Also really liked the creeper  :P luckily he didn't blow the piramid up ;)
Thanks a lot for this awesome level!

Robson

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Makes me very happy to see you all enjoying it :viridian:

Robson

Nice Let's Play! Thanks mint301 I'm very happy to see that you understand everything I was going for.

To answer your issues:

The part where you fall down has a map at the beginning, but I've noticed that a lot of people miss it. So I must have made it too subtle. If you look at this map of the level you can see how the the middle of the Premonition room relates to the rooms ahead. I did a few things to attempt to draw people's attention to the map (the room name, the lack of danger in the room, the matching background tiles), but it must not have been enough. I'm just an amateur, so a few mistakes are expected :)

Diagonal floors are great! I have some in my house.

I've only seen one person complete room 8,7 with my intended solution, so I like that people have made their own path.

Several rooms use floating spikes, although they usually represent something (eyes, flames...) whereas the floating spikes in the room near the end don't represent anything, so I understand your dislike of those. I originally tried having platforms, but they took up a bit too much room and they interfered with the background art.

I wrote another campaign a long while back in my VVVVVV tribute game, called YYYYYY. My campaign is called Fading Away.

Sendy

I thought the premonition room was very well done, and a good test of observation. Usually these multiple choice puzzles are just tacky crap shoots, but I actually felt I'd solved a puzzle as I made my choices. Besides, it's a pyramid - we should expect death traps :)

I really hope vvvvvv gets an update to support more intricate tilings, such as 1-tile high walls and backgrounds, because to be honest I don't think the cutoff tiles everywhere really do the level art justice.

TCP the Leveler

Such a fun level! Played on 3DS and had a blast, getting PC version soon...
:)

TCP the Leveler

Btw where do u get the download? :verdigris:
Nvm XD