Author Topic: Immediate SEGFAULT on Linux  (Read 1837 times)

TechMage89

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
Immediate SEGFAULT on Linux
« on: July 27, 2011, 12:08:17 am »
Hello! I just got VVVVVV 2.0 with the Humble Indie Bundle, and I'm having issues getting it running. It looks like it's very particular about the library versions it wants, and link/load doesn't seem to be quite as expected.

After briefly trying to set it up by hand, I found this PKGBUILD: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=51027

However, while it manages the dependencies and packaging nicely, there still seems to be an issue. When I try to run vvvvvv, it segfaults immediately. Attaching a debugger, it looks as if it's segfaulting in SDL_DisplayFormatAlpha. Furthermore, it looks like it's loading the system version of SDL rather than the one shipped, which might be related.

I could attempt to force it to load its own version of SDL, but I wonder two things:
    1.) Is this likely to fix the problem?
    2.) Why does vvvvvv require its own version of SDL? Are there specific patches/hacks in the shipped SDL that won't exist in the distro version, or is it just to avoid having to test accross a bunch of versions/distros?

Thank you very much for VVVVVV 2.0, I look forward to playing it!

Edit: Tried force-loading included SDL with LD_PRELOAD, verfied the right version loaded, but it still segfaults in the same place. It also complains about the lack of a version number in libaa and libjpeg.

Edit 2: OK, found the problem. Turns out the included libraries are incompatible with my system, but if I load only system libs, it works fine. Maybe it would be better to just rely on system libs?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 12:23:22 am by TechMage89 »

Terry

• Administrator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • distractionware
Re: Immediate SEGFAULT on Linux
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 12:27:03 am »
I'll have to ask Simon about this one! He's the linux expert, so I'm sure he had a reason for setting things up the way he did.

Glad you were able to get it working, in any case! :viridian: