"Vertiginous Veridian" by Jonathan Whiting

Started by Jonathan Whiting, July 27, 2011, 06:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan Whiting

Vertiginous Veridian
"No, not again! The crew are gone. Now Veridian must
navigate a strange new tight-knit dimension."

So this is the level I made that went into the new version of VVVVVV.  Hope you like it!

I thought the way that Terry handled the overall original level design; several linear levels connected bia an open world; was fantastic, and felt it would be a good call to do something similar.  Knowing that there wasn't likely to be a map, and given I was rather pushed for time making a big open map seemed unwise.  So instead I made the most densely knotted map I possible could, 9x9 squares, every single one filled.

To make the knotting work I made a map of sorts to get the layout sorted before I even started on the individual screens.

For each of the 5 sub levels that spring from the main hub I tried to pick gameplay themes, each possible, but perhaps not fully explored in the original.  So hopefully there's something a bit different here to even the most experienced V-ers.

Ice

I'm not done it yet, but I found a pretty big glitch so far.

That looked like a nice-sized secret trinket hole, so I tried going down there only to get stuck in the wall in the next room.

Also, I'm loving it so far, the blue section was awesome, the idea of a no-flip zone is really cool.

Arkatox

For some reason I'm not seeing a download link.

Psychopath

Quote from: Jonathan Whiting on July 27, 2011, 06:53:46 AM
Vertiginous Veridian
"No, not again! The crew are gone. Now Veridian must

That text should really read the following:

"No, not again! The crew is gone. Now Veridian must

or

"No, not again! The crew members are gone. Now Veridian must

"Crew" is singular and verbs should be conjugated accordingly. If you wanted to maintain the same conjugation, then the subject of the sentence must be made plural. Not a big issue, but it annoys me a bit.

Quote from: Arkatox on July 29, 2011, 06:38:24 PM
For some reason I'm not seeing a download link.
That's because it's already included in the game. From the main menu, go to Player Levels>Play a Level>Next Page>Vertiginous Veridian

Arkatox

xOnixic

This is one of my favourite levels. But the level "We must perform a  Geelfakriug" (One of the first levels in the  Abandon hope section) is impossible. I'm not just saying that because its hard. I tested it in level editor with no enemy or spikes (apart from the top) and no matter how much you hold left you will ALWAYS land on the spikes on the top. Apart from that great level and i hope to one day finish it :).

Psychopath

Also, for the blue section, was I supposed to be able to just go left immediately when the path forks and squeeze through those moving obstacles while traveling backwards on the conveyer belt? It takes some precise timing as to minimize time spent being slowed by the conveyer belt while still fitting through the small gap they make. It was a pretty difficult shortcut but I felt accomplished once I got through. On my blind run, I thought that was the only way that I could progress since I couldn't see how I'd fit through that gap on the right-hand path, that was also the last crew-mate I saved, so I didn't get a chance to explore the rest of the blue section just yet. Correct me if that was intended.

Quote from: xOnixic on July 29, 2011, 06:53:10 PM
This is one of my favourite levels. But the level "We must perform a  Geelfakriug" (One of the first levels in the  Abandon hope section) is impossible. I'm not just saying that because its hard. I tested it in level editor with no enemy or spikes (apart from the top) and no matter how much you hold left you will ALWAYS land on the spikes on the top. Apart from that great level and i hope to one day finish it :).

Here's a hint, you're not supposed to go up there until much later. Just head out the left-hand side of the screen, eventually you'll loop around and find that the drop leads directly to a crew-mate. :viridian:

oliphaunt

Quote from: Psychopath on July 29, 2011, 06:48:46 PM
"Crew" is singular and verbs should be conjugated accordingly. If you wanted to maintain the same conjugation, then the subject of the sentence must be made plural. Not a big issue, but it annoys me a bit.

This is correct British English:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_noun#Metonymic_merging_of_grammatical_number

Quote from: Psychopath on July 29, 2011, 06:58:06 PM
Also, for the blue section, was I supposed to be able to just go left immediately when the path forks and squeeze through those moving obstacles while traveling backwards on the conveyer belt? It takes some precise timing as to minimize time spent being slowed by the conveyer belt while still fitting through the small gap they make.

I'm surprised that you made it by walking against the flow.  I managed with a well-timed flip.

Quote from: Psychopath on July 29, 2011, 06:58:06 PM
It was a pretty difficult shortcut but I felt accomplished once I got through. On my blind run, I thought that was the only way that I could progress since I couldn't see how I'd fit through that gap on the right-hand path, that was also the last crew-mate I saved, so I didn't get a chance to explore the rest of the blue section just yet. Correct me if that was intended.

Same here.  I don't see how to fit through there.  I wondered now whether this could also be done with a flip but I haven't tried that yet.

oliphaunt

Quote from: oliphaunt on July 31, 2011, 10:32:25 AM
Same here.  I don't see how to fit through there.  I wondered now whether this could also be done with a flip but I haven't tried that yet.

Obviously you can't pass that with a flip, but I did manage to pass it now.  I won't give away how; you'll find out.

Psychopath

Quote from: oliphaunt on July 31, 2011, 07:00:10 PM
Quote from: oliphaunt on July 31, 2011, 10:32:25 AM

Obviously you can't pass that with a flip, but I did manage to pass it now.  I won't give away how; you'll find out.
I feel silly for not realizing how simple it was on my first attempt and instead opted to go backwards through the assumed-to-be one-way path.

TwiGav

Why hasn't anyone posted in this?  It's an amazing level!

Either way, I'm finding the Wings of Unreason sequence (in the Potential for Anything section) to be really hard, even though I beat it almost right after I typed that sentence.  And I'm finding "Ain't Got That Swing" to be harder than its trinket.

Flushex

Quote from: TwiGav on December 22, 2012, 07:19:57 PM

Either way, I'm finding the Wings of Unreason sequence (in the Potential for Anything section) to be really hard, even though I beat it almost right after I typed that sentence.  And I'm finding "Ain't Got That Swing" to be harder than its trinket.

It's just old that's all. It is one of my favorite featured levels though. Simple layout and style (I don't need no story), yet has great super fun well-paced challenges.

A quite MEDICal Derpfish

That one was the easiest part for me. o.o

Dav999

Quote from: Derpfish on December 28, 2012, 10:42:45 PM

That one was the easiest part for me. o.o

Apparently nobody looks at the dates. ::)

Hilbert

Quote from: Dav999 on December 29, 2012, 12:07:50 AM
nobody looks at the dates. ::)
Quote from: Flushex on December 23, 2012, 04:51:50 AM
Quote from: TwiGav on December 22, 2012, 07:19:57 PM

It's just old that's all. It is one of my favorite featured levels though. Simple layout and style (I don't need no story), yet has great super fun well-paced challenges.
Then... It became active again. ::)