"Vertiginous Veridian" by Jonathan Whiting

Started by Jonathan Whiting, July 27, 2011, 06:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

avengah

Sorry for the bump but I'm having problems with this level on the 3DS version. Specifically, the room "All Alike".

Is this room even possible on the 3DS version? I'm pretty sure I completed it on the PC, but the middle pair of enemies on the bottom row seems completely impassable on this version - not once in hundreds of attempts have I got past these two enemies. I even tried in Flip Mode but did even worse. Is the collision detection different on the 3DS?

VeniVidiVici

avengah

For a valid reason. I simply want to establish whether this level is possible on the 3DS. If anyone's got past that room, that means it's possible. I strongly suspect it's impossible on the 3DS though which is why I asked, and to bring it to the attention of the developers and level creator, hopefully. Thanks for staying the obvious by the way.

EDIT: Now this is weird. I just tried again and did it straight away. To confirm this wasn't just a fluke, I stayed the level again and did it several times IN A ROW. I'm not sure what was going on before but it seems like I'm moving faster now. So yes, it was indeed a glitch but it seems to have fixed itself. If I discover the cause, I'll post it here.

EDIT 2: Now it's happening again. I can't seem to fix it this time. I have no idea what I might have done differently. I even tried reinstalling it, backing up then deleting the save data etc. and nothing worked. If I discover the fix or the cause I'll post it here. This is frustrating!

EDIT 3: I've decided to compare the PC version with the 3DS version and I can confirm that the glitch is to do with the hitbox of either Viridian or the enemies. If you stand under an enemy as it comes down, there's a clear difference and there's a slight overlap on the PC version before you die - but the 3DS version kills you slightly sooner, making the room impossible, if the glitch kicks in (which seems to be most of the time for me).

avengah

New post as it's been some time. I have an update. I just downloaded a few Virtual Console games from the eShop, and now the glitch has fixed itself again. It was still broken this morning. I haven't done anything else differently, and did the exact same things on starting the game up.

I have a feeling it's to do with the way the game accesses the SD card; no idea why though. It's a clear difference; the game seems to be running faster and the enemies in that room now overlap with Viridian before killing him - when it was glitchy, you'd die before the overlap and sometimes they wouldn't even be touching.

It's a shame there's no VVVVVV community on Miiverse or I'd show some screenshots. But the game definitely appears to be running faster.

Incidentally, while it was glitchy, I got 41:70 in the Super Gravitron after many hundreds of attempts (probably over 1000). Now maybe I'll get that minute trophy and maybe even get past the Gravitron in No Death Mode! Again, the hit detection seems more accurate and it's a bit faster; hopefully no more deaths due to not quite touching the squares.

EDIT: 263 deaths later, I now have 1:02:03. That's all the trophies except No Death, so it really did seem to make a difference! I want to quit and back up my save data but I worry about triggering the glitch again.

EDIT 2: It's glitched again and I haven't even quit the game. I left it in Sleep Mode for about half an hour. Maybe it's caused by 3DS background processes? I'm playing on a 3DS XL. I wonder if the New 3DS won't have this problem due to its better specs, but we won't know till it comes out.

EDIT 3: Just a minor addendum regarding the main game - when this glitch is in effect, it's impossible to get past Traffic Jam's Stop signs without waiting for the third one, but possible in a single cycle otherwise and on the PC. This will add a second or two to the Space Station 1 Time Trial. Thankfully I did decide to improve my times while it was working properly. (I've already got all V Ranks so I was just trying for time, disregarding trinkets.)

No idea if it's relevant for diagnostic purposes but I'm not using the 4GB SD card that came with the system; I'm using my own Class 10 32GB SD card.