Custom level sprites

Started by echolite, March 28, 2018, 01:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

echolite

So, I see people making custom sprites for their levels. I want to create my own sprites, but I don't know what platform to go on. What software should I go on to make these custom sprites?

Ally 🌠

paint.net
gimp
photoshop
anything that isnt ms paint and supports transparency

echolite

moth 🦋

Quote from: -Kiwi Alexia ♡ on March 28, 2018, 06:32:05 PM
paint.net
https://www.getpaint.net/
^ found here
paint.net isnt a website its a program but its name implies that it is and its weird if you havent heard of it

echolite

thats strange because i actually went to the website paint.net!

echolite

Okay. So, I have paint.net, how do make the sprites? Do you make a new image or take an old sprites image?

Yolotroll101

ok, so step one, have the paint.net shortcut in a place where things can be dragged to it. Next step is to navigate to
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/vvvvvv/data.zip/. After that, copy the graphics folder into the vvvvvv folder in your documents. Open the copied folder and find sprites.png. Drag that picture into the paint.net shortcut from earlier to edit it. I recommend creating a temporary layer to outline the borders of each sprite as to not have anything get cut off. Simply save it once you're done and launch VVVVVV. Putting the graphics folder in the vvvvvv folder in documents tells the game to use those files, so your sprites will appear!
:viridian:

PS: NEVER alter the VVVVVV folder that's in the steam folders, because ANY changes to it, such as adding a file will cause the game to never launch again, and you'll have to re-download it!

Ally 🌠

Quote from: Yolotroll101 on April 22, 2018, 02:19:58 AM
PS: NEVER alter the VVVVVV folder that's in the steam folders, because ANY changes to it, such as adding a file will cause the game to never launch again, and you'll have to re-download it!
You can modify anything you want, actually
In Windows, editing data.zip will mess everything up, but you can do it fine if you open the zip with something like 7zip.
Still, the VVVVVV folder in documents is the best way to do things.

Yolotroll101