Update Killed My Save File

Started by otterwolfy, July 27, 2011, 09:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otterwolfy

Like the title says, I lost my save, now I'm back at the beginning. Which is incredibly frustrating with a game like this. :|

I can also no longer maximize the VVVVVVV window without having to go through the options, what a pain.

mecablaze

I have the same problem.

I have found out a few things (these may be specific to Steam, which is where I bought VVVVVV).

It looks like the save files are now at...
C:\Users\<name>\Documents\VVVVVV\Saves\

They used to be at...
C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\<id>\localhost\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\vvvvvv\vvvvvv.exe\

The old save games all have .sol extension, and now it looks like the new save files are with the .vvv extension.

Hopefully the developers of VVVVVV will provide a way to migrate old save games to the new format.

In the meantime, I highly recommend backing up your save files from the old location to somewhere safe.

Terry

Hey!

Very sorry about this :( Your save files are still safe, but the new version of the game (which is a total rewrite) can't use them. We're working on an exporter to translate them over!

otterwolfy

Was able to locate my old saves, and back them up. Tried to see if the game still registers those saves in the new folder, and they don't.

So, here's hoping that they make some sort of converter for our saves, or SOMETHING. Now, the waiting game. *insert Jeopardy theme*

Wow, that was quick Terry! Thanks for the reply and look forward to the exporter.

mjiggidy

Aha!  I've been religiously backing up those SOL files so I was totally floored when it still didn't work.  Good to hear it's not something I did wrong.  :viridian:

Compizfox

Got the same problem.  :'(
Today the game updated automatically via Steam. I had still played it yesterday ...

I'm pretty addicted so if you please could make a converter/workaround ....  :P

simoroth

I think we are aiming to have a converter out today.  So hopefully you wont go cold turkey for too long!

Compizfox

Haha, thanks :)
That's a very fast response :)

rainwarrior

I completed the Veni Vidi Vici challenge, saved and closed my game... came back five minutes later and steam had updated it on me. Aaaaaagh!

Sounds like waiting for the converter would be better than doing it over. Glad you're working on it, thanks!

mecablaze

Quote from: simoroth on July 28, 2011, 10:41:31 AM
I think we are aiming to have a converter out today.  So hopefully you wont go cold turkey for too long!

I'd like to learn the status of this.

Quote from: rainwarrior on July 29, 2011, 04:20:52 PM
Ahh, this did the trick:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2024327

It looks like someone in the Steam community came up with an unofficial converter. I would feel more comfortable with an official one, however.

flib

Can I have version 1 back? v2 doesn't seem like any kind of improvement. :'(

TheoX

Quote from: flib on July 31, 2011, 05:53:58 AM
Can I have version 1 back? v2 doesn't seem like any kind of improvement. :'(
ah, but it has custom levels and an editor!  The best kind of improvement!

Anyway, Terry said a converter is the next thing that will be updated, so let's all be patient.  I had my file erased too but I'm just playing through the game again. :)

Arkatox

Deleted save file? The only thing I'm annoyed at losing is my time trial records and my Super Gravitron high score. Everything else I can get back easily. The game isn't that hard anymore once you beat it a couple times, though it's still super fun. :p