Unseen Battle [WIP]

Started by DaKook, January 18, 2019, 04:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaKook

I mostly finished Unseen Battle! There are still a few problems here and there, and you can help me identify them! Throw your harshest criticisms at me!

Bruce Michez

This certainly has tremendous potential.  First thought is that it really needs room names to give it character.

Also consider toning down the difficulty of room (17,18) - the need to be fast and precise makes it far too frustrating.
Similarly the lower half of (4,13) - I'm convinced this is outright impossible, at least for a human player.

DaKook

Quote from: Bruce Michez on January 18, 2019, 06:32:07 AM
This certainly has tremendous potential.  First thought is that it really needs room names to give it character.
Some of the rooms have things that would be hidden by a room name, such as (17,19). I could give some of the rooms names, but not all of them.
I do have room names for the rooms after you save Vermilion.

Quote from: Bruce Michez on January 18, 2019, 06:32:07 AM
Also consider toning down the difficulty of room (17,18) - the need to be fast and precise makes it far too frustrating.
Similarly the lower half of (4,13) - I'm convinced this is outright impossible, at least for a human player.
For room (17,18), you may be right, it doesn't need to be that hard. I'll see about toning down the difficulty there.
For room (4,13), I wouldn't call myself a pro, but I can do it. You just need to run left and flip just before hitting the spikes, and try to time that so that you land just to the left of the enemy, while it's going right. It takes good timing, but I really don't think this is the hardest of all the rooms...

Thanks for your opinions! I will take a look and see about improving the level.

Balneor

At first glance via the editor, the map while undouptedly large didn't seem to be visually appealing. Fortunately, after beating the actual level (Or at least reaching the end of the play area, assuming it is "Control Room"), I can safely say the rest does not follow. Gameplay for the most part is solid, with one important difficulty increase soon after you save the second crewmate.
I especially liked this one part where you need to activate the 5 terminals, all of their respective sections were pretty fun to run through.
Now for a few notes : 

Pic 1 (left > right) : This room is doable and imo not extremely tight, but that's not the point. It would be good to synchronize this ennemy so we don't have to wait much for it to get into position, if we die (Maintly by leaving > entering the room back, from the right side). The previous room is also concerned by this small issue, though to a much smaller extent I'll admit. Think about this when you use ennemies and moving platforms.
Rest of the pictures : Bunch of rooms containing repeating scripts. I didn't hunt them so there may be more out in the fields.

Will definitely look forward to the full version in the future :viridian:

DaKook

There's been an update, guys! What do you think?

Bruce Michez

I still can't do (4,13) and had to turn on invincibility for that room.  Other than that, just finished... with no fewer than 1595 deaths!  About 400 of these were in "Database" due to multiple extremely precise objectives with no checkpoint.  Room "9" in the final sequence approached this level of brutality, too, for the same reason.

I think I'm too drained to comment any further.

DaKook

Well, these final sections are supposed to be hard. In database, I have no trouble getting past the three gravity lines, and the rest isn't that hard. I don't know if I'm just better than I think. Does anybody else think these rooms are incredibly hard?

Balneor

This level's difficulty was alright for me, but should overall not be underestimated at all. The two separate pathes in database are clearly not of equal difficulty, bottom portion being easier than top by far. Final sequence was not much harder than what the player had to go through before that point. Hardest part was during the first escape sequence, lot of tight platforming there.
In any cases, not an easy level but worth checking out