Author Topic: Death and Decay  (Read 3807 times)

Shadowlink575

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
Death and Decay
« on: October 23, 2011, 05:23:29 am »
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?24f7i1w3twhig31
Hello, I'm new on the forums, but I've long admired VVVVVV for it's great level design and just overall game-play. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the level editor, and I decided to make a level... and well, it turned out fairly long, and VERY hard. Harder than I'd wished / desired it to be. It's not a great level per say, but it's decent I guess. I'll stop blabbing on and post some screenshots.

This room is fairly early on, but not too early.

This room is pretty deep into the level, one of the harder rooms, in my opinion.

Thank you to everyone who played the level, or at least gave it a try.  :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 05:27:47 am by shadowlink575 »

Damn It AL to Hell

• Captain
  • Mm?
    • View Profile
Re: Death and Decay
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 06:21:07 am »
I'll play the level, but I will evaluate it tomorrow.

PJBottomz

• Captain
  • Chibi Toast. It kicks your ass for miles.
    • View Profile
    • PJBottomz First Homepage
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 01:37:47 am »
I'll play this tomorrow, cause I don't have enough time now, but looks like a good experience. I hope you used scripting.

EDIT: HOLY SWEET BUHJESUS! Did you even complete this level?! IT'S ENTIRELY TOO DIFFICULT! HOLY SHIT! I used invincibility to make it to "Ooh, you touch my tralalala (seriously?)" and couldn't go any farther due to the invincibility properties.

I'll let this slide because it's your first level, but in the future, make sure your level is... completable WITHOUT invincibility.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 12:14:58 am by PJBottomz »

Shadowlink575

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 01:05:00 am »
EDIT: HOLY SWEET BUHJESUS! Did you even complete this level?! IT'S ENTIRELY TOO DIFFICULT! HOLY SHIT! I used invincibility to make it to "Ooh, you touch my tralalala (seriously?)" and couldn't go any farther due to the invincibility properties.
Actually, this is pretty much exactly what I was expecting. Also, yes, I have completed this level, several times in fact. I was thinking of making an easier version, because I knew, in fact, that it was too difficult, but thank you for playing.

yonny

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 07:40:08 am »
Also new to the forums. Just finished playing through all of the "featured levels" on the blog and came here to see what else was available.

This level was hard. Really hard. Really, really, really hard. Really x 10 hard. While I can see where someone might think "ENTIRELY TOO DIFFICULT! HOLY SHIT!", I don't agree with that assessment. It is possible to complete it without invincibility (I'm not even sure how to trigger that), but does require lots of patience, practice, and persistence.

I think an easier version would make a good companion to this, because the difficulty will probably turn off a lot of players who will get frustrated at having to repeat some sections literally hundreds of times (I'm currently at the second last screen, but have over 2500 deaths), and they'd miss out on a very lengthy, well-designed, and satisfying level. However, I want to be clear that I view the fact that it's extremely challenging as a positive. It's a great level, one of the most fun, and definitely the most maddening (in a good way) that I've played.

Shadowlink575

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 09:14:08 pm »
Also new to the forums. Just finished playing through all of the "featured levels" on the blog and came here to see what else was available.

This level was hard. Really hard. Really, really, really hard. Really x 10 hard. While I can see where someone might think "ENTIRELY TOO DIFFICULT! HOLY SHIT!", I don't agree with that assessment. It is possible to complete it without invincibility (I'm not even sure how to trigger that), but does require lots of patience, practice, and persistence.

I think an easier version would make a good companion to this, because the difficulty will probably turn off a lot of players who will get frustrated at having to repeat some sections literally hundreds of times (I'm currently at the second last screen, but have over 2500 deaths), and they'd miss out on a very lengthy, well-designed, and satisfying level. However, I want to be clear that I view the fact that it's extremely challenging as a positive. It's a great level, one of the most fun, and definitely the most maddening (in a good way) that I've played.
Great job on making it that far, most people I know who've played it couldn't get past the first probably 10 screens. Also I understand many players don't like levels that are too difficult, this is why I have been working on an easy version since I've uploaded this. It's hard to do, mostly because I'm used to playing games that are so much harder than this. Thank you for playing, and for the review.

Pyrite

• Captain
  • New name who dis
    • View Profile
    • http://you.ar/a/nidi/ot.shtml
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 08:12:31 pm »
I apologize for being the only one posting on the topic in the VVVVVV forum and making the level editor section incredibly boring, but is the level download around?

ToasterApocalypse

• Captain
  • le lenny face
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 03:48:36 pm »
I apologize for being the only one posting on the topic in the VVVVVV forum and making the level editor section incredibly boring, but is the level download around?

If by that, you mean the level download, it's at the very top of the original post.

Pyrite

• Captain
  • New name who dis
    • View Profile
    • http://you.ar/a/nidi/ot.shtml
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 11:20:18 pm »

If by that, you mean the level download, it's at the very top of the original post.
I mean it's expired and since shadowlink left I was wondering if anyone else had it.