Victoria's Gift (v1.3)

Started by moth 🦋, August 04, 2018, 02:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moth 🦋

This is a level I made for round 2 of the VVVVVV Discord server's 100 member level contest. It got 3rd place.

This version, now on VSIX, contains small updates and polish over the original, which I had last updated four years ago!

Screenshots (click to enlarge)

Download the level on VSIX (v1.4)

Get the soundtrack by allison here

changelog:
v1.4
- graphical improvements
- rewritten dialogue and roomnames
- new visuals and scripting
v1.3
- minor credits additions and balance changes
v1.2
- minor changes, balance, slightly smaller file size
v1.1
- fixed minor graphical error
- extended painting zone slightly

Balneor

Amazing.

I found the sculpture exhibit portion to be shorter than the others, at least it felt that way during play. Nothing relevant to say aside of small nitpicks, so congrats on getting top 3 place :viridian:

Bruce Michez

Never expected something like this to come out of VVVVVV.  The visuals in particular stood out to me, especially the ingenious use of transparency for the Modern Exhibit's spikes.  At first I thought it might be gotoroom spam à la Overdose.

I must say that I found "Do Not Attempt to Adjust the Picture" (15,4) to be on the difficult side, not helped by having "Think Fast" right after it with no checkpoint.

Also, the music in the Sculpture Exhibit reminded me a bit of "Dangerous Curves" by King Crimson.  That's not at all a bad thing, though!  I'm listening to The Power to Believe as I write this.

moth 🦋

Quote from: Balneor on August 04, 2018, 04:31:49 PM
Amazing.

I found the sculpture exhibit portion to be shorter than the others, at least it felt that way during play. Nothing relevant to say aside of small nitpicks, so congrats on getting top 3 place :viridian:
thank you! the sculpture zone has a lot of moving fast with platforms so it seems shorter. i actually made it longer to combat for the forum release but its still got the same problem :p

Quote from: Bruce Michez on August 04, 2018, 11:44:52 PM
Never expected something like this to come out of VVVVVV.  The visuals in particular stood out to me, especially the ingenious use of transparency for the Modern Exhibit's spikes.  At first I thought it might be gotoroom spam à la Overdose.

I must say that I found "Do Not Attempt to Adjust the Picture" (15,4) to be on the difficult side, not helped by having "Think Fast" right after it with no checkpoint.

Also, the music in the Sculpture Exhibit reminded me a bit of "Dangerous Curves" by King Crimson.  That's not at all a bad thing, though!  I'm listening to The Power to Believe as I write this.
yeah, in hindsight "think fast" is a little cruel considering how oddly difficult "do not attempt to adjust the picture" is if you dont know the trick to it. maybe i'll update it to make it more fair eventually lol

moth 🦋