My first level! - Dimension Delta

Started by Evilleafy, August 28, 2019, 03:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evilleafy

This is my first finished level in VVVVVV! The others ones I made were either tests or really bad!
I'm not too proud of this one either but I decided to post it anyways!
It doesn't have flags which means that scripts will repeat,but my next one will have flags!
This one my opinion is quite short,but my next one will be longer (I hope)!

Description:

You are in a new dimension,and your goal is to escape!
You don't know how you got here,but you may remember if you go further...
Although,it won't be easy. There is something that is holding you here. Toying around with you!
Good luck on escaping...

pixelator

smh copying summer spooktacular AND victoria's gift., 0/10

In all seriousness, hi, and welcome to the forums! This level was surprisingly good - more so than most first levels I've played - and it makes neat use of direct mode for a first level. Some things to say:

The initial warp to "dnE daeD" can put you in a wall, where you clip up into "Dead End" and immediately hit the exit warp. Doesn't skip too many rooms, but it's still something.

The final fall in general is harder than the rest of the level; it's a huge, unneeded difficulty spike, with an unfair bit at the very end. I almost hit the side in "Now it is" and would've had to redo the whole thing again!

Putting an identical warp line maze in a level isn't a bad thing to do, but when you disable the map along with it, it becomes overly frustrating to people who haven't played the level before. If you will include a maze, make the rooms unique, or leave the map on, because doing neither is generally not a good idea.

There are also spelling/grammar errors, but I don't find those all that pressing, unless they're misspellings of names (Vitellary has two L's in it...)

Just one more nitpick: there should be something to distinguish the ghost's talking from Vermilion. Maybe give it a different speech pattern, or put brackets around its text...

In summary, this level has its flaws, but it is really good for a first released one!

Evilleafy

Quote from: pixelator on August 28, 2019, 11:08:32 PM
smh copying summer spooktacular AND victoria's gift., 0/10

In all seriousness, hi, and welcome to the forums! This level was surprisingly good - more so than most first levels I've played - and it makes neat use of direct mode for a first level. Some things to say:

The initial warp to "dnE daeD" can put you in a wall, where you clip up into "Dead End" and immediately hit the exit warp. Doesn't skip too many rooms, but it's still something.

The final fall in general is harder than the rest of the level; it's a huge, unneeded difficulty spike, with an unfair bit at the very end. I almost hit the side in "Now it is" and would've had to redo the whole thing again!

Putting an identical warp line maze in a level isn't a bad thing to do, but when you disable the map along with it, it becomes overly frustrating to people who haven't played the level before. If you will include a maze, make the rooms unique, or leave the map on, because doing neither is generally not a good idea.

There are also spelling/grammar errors, but I don't find those all that pressing, unless they're misspellings of names (Vitellary has two L's in it...)

Just one more nitpick: there should be something to distinguish the ghost's talking from Vermilion. Maybe give it a different speech pattern, or put brackets around its text...

In summary, this level has its flaws, but it is really good for a first released one!

Thank you for telling me all of this!
First of all, I have never seen those maps you mentioned.
I also wasn't sure on how you spell vitellary and I guess I was too lazy to check!
As I said, I'm not too proud of this map and I seriously think I could've done a better job making it!
I did playtest the map beforehand and I did notice that bug at "dne daeD"! I tried to fix it but I didn't succeed...
I'll just try avoiding those kinds of situations in the future!
I will also try to keep the difficulty consistent, or make it harder as the player goes on instead of putting a large difficulty spike at the end!  Thank you for your review!   :viridian:

pixelator

My very first comment was just sarcasm, but those levels can be found on this forum, around pages 4-5. Additionally the VVVVVV discord server has a list of really good/iconic levels that are recommended to new users

Other than that, it may be easier to just remove some difficulty from the last 6-7 rooms, so that you don't have to tweak the entire rest of the level.

Monogreen

I'm enjoying this level so far, but what is the solution to the Lost Maze? I can't figure it out and it's leaving me frustrated.

Evilleafy

Quote from: Monogreen on October 05, 2019, 02:12:39 PM
I'm enjoying this level so far, but what is the solution to the Lost Maze? I can't figure it out and it's leaving me frustrated.

When you enter the lost maze, first go to the left center exit, and then to the bottom left exit! It's my first map, so there are difficult parts here and there!

Monogreen

Other than the Maze it was a lot of fun. I'm going to go back and try to find the trinkets I missed. Just to confirm, are there any trinkets in the Maze?

Evilleafy

Quote from: Monogreen on October 20, 2019, 01:06:32 PM
Other than the Maze it was a lot of fun. I'm going to go back and try to find the trinkets I missed. Just to confirm, are there any trinkets in the Maze?
Unfortunately for you (and many others), there is! I don't know why an invisible warp maze was a good idea... Anyways, if you want to know where the trinket in the maze is, here you go: Upon entering the maze, go middle left.  On the next screen where you would usually go down left to exit, you will go up right instead. Then you will have to go middle right! After that, you'll be in a room called "Found" and after exiting that room, you will be back in the first "Lost"  room.

Monogreen

Now that I've completed it with all trinkets, it's a pretty fun level. Maybe release an update with a map over the maze? Look forward to whatever you create next.

Evilleafy

Thanks! If you didn't know,I did release Challenge Dimension! There are things that need to be fixed in there,but it's still playable! I will start fixing things today!