Dimension MAZZES (Updated! v1.2)

Started by Henry03, May 18, 2020, 01:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry03

:viridian: ventures into another dimension with  :victoria: :vermillion: :vitellary: :verdigris: :violet: and meets another :viridian:!

20x20 map, 18 trinkets
you dont get much 20x20 maps

Features:
:violet: space station
:verdigris: warp zone
:victoria: laboratory
:vermillion: :vitellary: maze area

map is included in the zip file! (dont cheat please)

i was about to complete the level 3 years ago when i messed up the save file :'(
I had a lot of fun rebuilding the level   :P  enjoy

Playthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XCYyeAbsoc

-=CHANGELOG=-
1.1:
- Fixed beginning.
// I completed the entire level once this time, so it should not have any main problems.

1.2:
- Polished designs.
- Add walls in the beginning to ensure that :viridian: is rescued
- Add more text to the quiz and the last level of maze area
//Refer to Balneor's post

Screenshots:

Henry03

i was working with scripts when the ifflag command just won't work
i tested this in another world and it works  >:(
below when i activate the terminal with flag 8 on, it gives me nice cutscene bars:

scripta:
say(3,grey)
DIMENSION MAZZES STABILIZER
---------------------------
Awaiting commands...
ifflag(8,scriptb)
reply(2)
Let's see what this terminal
brings us...

scriptb:
say(1,cyan)
Well, I'm here again.
say(1,cyan)
Teleport me to the overworld!

Balneor

Seems pretty good, will definitely look forward to it.

As for your scripting issue, I don't really know what's wrong. Do the "..." mean that your script's content is fully listed ?
The ifflag comment isn't inserted inside the say command. The cutscene bars should always disable since there is dialogue in both ends of these scripts. May there be a script that encompasses the whole room and messes things up somehow ? Is there a script with the same name ? Probably not gonna help but it's worth a shot. What's the coordinates of that room ?

Henry03

turns out that i cannot redirect scripts twice
when iftrinkets/ifflag is used to call a script, that script cannot contain any iftrinkets/ifflag commands
otherwise it returns garbage

used a little bit of internal scripting and its fixed :D
my bad for not listing the whole script, thanks anyways

Balneor

I've never used more than one iftrinkets command for one or a serie of scripts, so I don't know how that goes. But I'm surprised to hear about the ifflag case, because they should work no matter the amount one chains up. But at least the problem is solved.

Dav999

The only special thing about scripts that are called with commands like iftrinkets or ifflag is that the last line is executed at the start of the script as an internal command. So, if you call a secondary script, and the last line is an iftrinkets for example, first thing it will do is run the internal form of iftrinkets, which calls a script from the main game. Chances are it will jump to a non-existent main-game script.

Henry03

level is released! reply if you found any bugs in the scripts :viridian:
the part that is probably very buggy is the ending, it is quite rushed and contain more internal scripts that can stop the game for no reason

Bruce Michez

I don't seem to be able to get very far, as the terminal in "DIY M Repair" does nothing!

Balneor

I have the same issue as Bruce  :victoria: and also, the cutscenes at the beginning repeat (I died in the second room). Will wait for a fix :verdigris:

Balneor

I beat it. Here are a couple issues I found during its playthrough :

In the last level of the maze section, I didn't understand that we were supposed to get all three keys in a row without dying, and felt mildly annoyed after being turned down by the gate terminal. At least warn us about it in the beginning one.
, and :
1st image, you can sorta clip through the ground when coming from above. 2nd image, same issue when getting here through the warp token. 3rd image, same issue when using the second warp token to the left.

About this room, there is an issue where Vitellary can spawn more than one time, simply because there are three scripts doing just that in this room. You actually avoided doing that mistake with Verdigris in the room above. Just do the same here.

:

1st and 2nd : missing backing tiles, respectively in the top left /top right corner. 3rd : there seems to be a random backing at the top right. 4th : around top left, maybe not a random single tile block, but doesn't fit with the aesthetics of this room. Can probably easily be made into a 4x4 size block without visual issues. 5th : random block Viridian is standing on.

It's a kinda unsolvable issue, but in two different places designed with gotoroom commands (terminal section and room "metallic bond") one can easily teleport inside walls. Disregard this I guess.

If you don't move right at full speed here, Viridian will get stuck on the floor for some random obscure mechanics. Doesn't happend with the upside down ones. Don't know how to fix it, might just leave it as it unfortunately.

I had to watch your playthrough for the last question of the quizz.

Finally, I actually didn't beat the level because of accidentally not saving the first crewmate before being teleported to the end.

Done. Smooth experience, close to nothing wrong it, despite everything above. Some of the level design (both section and room structure wise) was pretty neat as well. Do recommend.

Henry03

i am amazed by how you find those missing/extra tiles lmao
s tier playtester

row(image)
1(2) and 1(3) (do u mean room (3,8)): i honsetly don't encounter the same problem on my pc.
2: its because there's a (ending) cutscene script box below the teleporter. i tried using a room-size box to create :vitellary:, but the cutscene won't work. fix later.
4: it is intended, so that you must collect the trinket with the designed route. one-way tiles are strange anyways

the others are fixed! will be released in a while

Balneor

Thanks  :viridian:

For 1(2), now that I do it again it doesn't seem to be clipping through the ground at all. It only, sometimes, puts Viridian upside down right after teleporting to the room when he shouldn't be. Which is an eye catcher, but honestly forgettable. However the one in the room (7,12) & (7,13) still stands (mistakenly said a token instead of sayin the second leftmost gotoroom terminal).

Fine for the other points.